Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Non responsive, won't factory reset

VistaGrande
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 Non responsive, won't factory reset

After two years of working flawlessly my Orbi RBR50 router stopped working. I have two satellites RBS mdels connected to it. 

The power light is on and it is green.

I tried to cycle the power - did not work.

I tried to factory reset by inserting a paperclip into the reset button - the light stays green, never turning to amber.

I tried the 30-second reset press + pull power with clip still inserted + 30 seconds reset press - did not work.

I thought maybe a firmware update failed / corrputed.

The RBR50 router was set up for automatic firmware installs. The latest firmware to download is marked March of 2020 (it is May 18 2020 as of this writing). So I'm thinking it updated more than a month ago. 

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 47
plemans
Guru

You might need to try tftp to recovery it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

just make sure you enable tftp
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 47
VistaGrande
Tutor

Appreciate the quick reply. 

Unfortunately my PC doesn't even see the Orbi RBR50 when directly attached via ethernet cable.

Network Adapter settings show "Network Cable Unplugged" -- see attached image.

I tried downloaded the binary for nrmpflash, but get an error when running it: "The code execution cannot proceed because wpcap.dll was not found".

I need to do some sort of factory reset with the Orbi RBR50 so that it comes up and I can re-configure. 

Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 47
plemans
Guru

It might not "see" the connection. its why you're setting static addresses. Did you try the tftp? if anything is missed, it can not work
Message 4 of 47
VistaGrande
Tutor

I'm following these directions outlined in the KB article:

• Unplug all port connections from router except the PC you are using to upload.
  • Turn router OFF for 10 seconds.
  • Hold down the reset button on the back of router with a paper clip.
  • Power ON the router while holding down the reset button.
  • Watch the Power LED. It starts with an orange color, and then start flashing.

[[ The light on my RBR50 stays a constant green, never flashes, never turns amber.]]

• Count at least 10 flashing power LED and release the reset button.
  • Press Enter to execute the TFTP command. Wait for a few minutes (be patient, do not reboot the router). When the upload is successful, the Power LED will turn solid. The rest of LED’s on the router will also turn ON indicating that the router has booted up properly.

Then I get a connection error - "connect request failed".

Tried both standard IP schemes (see below)

C:\Users\vistagrande\Downloads\RBR50-V2.5.1.16>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img
Connect request failed

C:\Users\vistagrande\Downloads\RBR50-V2.5.1.16>tftp -i 192.168.10.1 put RBR50-V2.5.1.16.img
Connect request failed

Message 5 of 47
Kenjimaru
Tutor

Having exactly the same issue here. RBR50 just quit working on me this afternoon. Reset/30-30-30 trick doens't work for me, network doesn't detect the router either. Any suggestion?

Message 6 of 47
TomHarker
Initiate

Heya,

I have the same problem, recently got a 2nd hand RBK50 set to upgrade from my perfectly good RBR40.

When powered up both the RBR50 and RBS50 have solid green power LED, and soild white ring lights.

I'm concentrating on the RBR50 for now to get that running first, I've tried a factory reset, a 30-30-30 reset and flashing the firmware back to v2.2.1.212 over TFTP (this fails halfway through the upload).

After all this I now have a flashing green power led and a solid white ring on top of the RBR50, and a deep sense of frustration!

Not sure where to go from here??

Message 7 of 47

Having exactly the same issue.  All working fine and then suddenly dead to the world.  Solid green on power but no response to reset attempts.  Very frustraiting. 

Has anyone recovered from this or am I dreaming to think that there is a way to fix this very expensive brick?

Message 8 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.

Message 9 of 47

I try the tftp and get an error with the -i option flag.  Mine is a Mac and no Windows machine to work with.

The fact that I never get to a flashing yellow/amber power light is also concerning.

Message 10 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the RBR is bad. Something to contact NG support about to see what your options are at this point. 

Message 11 of 47
stilesfamily
Initiate

I have this exact same issue.  Any other ideas on how to fix it???

Message 12 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

So you can't access the RBRs web page after a 15 second press of the reset button then release? 

Try the TFTP option mentioned in this thread? 

@stilesfamily wrote:

I have this exact same issue.  Any other ideas on how to fix it???

Message 13 of 47
CrimpOn
Guru

I have used TFTP several (stressful) times.  It seems as much an "art" as it does a "science".

My impression is that there is a magic window of time during which the router will accept a TFTP connection. Maybe only a few seconds. I had numerous attempts fail (0 blocks transmitted), and then one succeed.

Message 14 of 47
Kurtster
Initiate

After 15 years using Netgear I'm throwing in the towel. I have the same problem here with my RBR50. No moving parts but it just stopped working. Green solid light on the power no matter how many seconds I hold down the button. White flashing ring light no matter what I do. Unable to TFTp anything because it perpetually stays in a mode where it's booted up and won't look for FW updates. 

Just bought an Eero WiFi 6 system today. So far so good!

Message 15 of 47
brightmanp
Initiate

My RBR50 and RBS50 have been rock solid for almost 14 months since I purchased them for the pricely sum of £249.99 from Amazon.

However I too have been plagued by this issue. It first started 3 weeks ago late in the evening (12:34 am) where after much frustration I was able to use a TFTPD client to flash the firmware to an older version.  This seemed to do the trick and I was a happy camper again working merrily taking part in the many MS Teams calls my life consist of nowadays.  However this has now happened again (Again late in the evening - 10:30 pm ish) and only this time it's left the RBR in permanent state of booting up (constant white pulsing, with green power led). All attempts to factory reset or flash the firmware to an older version are failing to have any impact, it simply ends up in a permanent white pulsing state with green power LED.

I find it incredibly frustrating that such expensive equipment should fail for no apparent reason and dubiously not longer after the warranty expiry.  What really rubs the salt in the wound is i've been so impressed with the RBR50 model i've advised 2 other family members to acquire them, let's hope they don't end up in the same position just after their warranty expiry!!

I will now be voting with my feet and never buying Netgear equipment again and advising my friends and family to do the same.

Disgruntled of Ipswich.

Message 16 of 47

I thought it interesting at first when Netgear would offer for purchase an extended warranty, and premium service.  It is a router I thought, and is solid state, what could go wrong.  I now look back and think that Netgear understands how much can go wrong, and how much they screw up with their firmware upgrades.  It really speaks to a lack of proper engineering.  How much we pay for this failure of engineering goes beyond the initial sticker price/shock.  Lost time trying to figure things out, cost of courier fees to get replacements, and the impact to our work when you don't have a viable internet connection.

I too am waiting to move on.  At this point, due to a consolidation of two networks, I actually have a backup RBR50 so when this one goes I will switch to that one (I have to feel that I am recovering some of my investment).  When that one goes it is looking very likely that the eero Pro 6 will take over the command of my network.

Message 17 of 47
NikaBooboo
Initiate

Replica of my story. Time to say Good buye to Netgear and to stop recommending it to oother people. It seems that just over 2 years is a realistic life expectation. Too much money for this... and now they wants us to pay $1.8K for the latest Wi-Fi 6 ... no way. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 18 of 47
spewak
Luminary

@Kurtster wrote:

After 15 years using Netgear I'm throwing in the towel.

Just bought an Eero WiFi 6 system today. So far so good!

That's my next system. I am going to start phasing out Netgear. This last debacle and ZERO comms from netgear is a clear sign that customer loyalty means nothing to them.

Message 19 of 47

The fact that Netgear chooses to be ignore its base and watch long term consumers go elsewhere is truely telling of where their priorities are.  This is a reson why you see startups succeed at surpassing the incumbents.  

I have a second Orbi RBR50 so when the first one dies the second one will replace it, delayiing my migratioon to the next platform and giving other companies time to build even better products.  What is certain, I won't be looking to what Netgear offers when the time arrives.

Message 20 of 47
234arcdd123
Aspirant

Same exact issue.  The thing just stopped working one day about a month ago.  

• Factory Reset doesn't work
  • Power LED always solid green
  • No halo led light on top
  • When I try TFTP method my computer is claiming I'm not even plugged into anything.

If you look at the dates of posts, this is pretty clearly a bad firmware upgrade that bricked our satalites and Netgear doesn't seem to care.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 21 of 47
FURRYe38
Guru

Revert FW back to prior working FW? 

@234arcdd123 wrote:

Same exact issue.  The thing just stopped working one day about a month ago.  

• Factory Reset doesn't work
  • Power LED always solid green
  • No halo led light on top
  • When I try TFTP method my computer is claiming I'm not even plugged into anything.

If you look at the dates of posts, this is pretty clearly a bad firmware upgrade that bricked our satalites and Netgear doesn't seem to care.

Message 22 of 47
234arcdd123
Aspirant

I’m not sure how I could. It stopped connecting to the router. I tried connecting it directly to my PC over wired ethernet and doing the Tftp method, but my computer couldn’t even tell that the cable was plugged in.
Message 23 of 47
NikaBooboo
Initiate

L E M O N - wasted massive amount of time on all suggested solutions and it's DEAD! Had multipe GOs with NG support and there is a update - it's a DEAD LEMON

Message 24 of 47

Sadly, the only way to get it back is by sending the unit to Netgear, paying the shipping and then their service fee.  Netgear takes no accountability for the failure to properly develop and test firmwares.

I have a second RBK that is my backup (until recently I had a second home that I outfitted before learning the Netgear lesson).  When my current one dies I will move to the other one until that one dies.  Then I will be off to a new company.

Message 25 of 47
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7