Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 Reset Needed -- Why?

md_burch
Follower

Orbi RBR50 Reset Needed -- Why?

My home network was working fine but my Spectrum cable modem died.  I replaced it but was unable to connect to the internet.

I rebooted modem and Orbi router. No luck.

I connected my laptop to the modem directly and it worked.  I verified that all cables involved worked correctly.

I connected to the Orbi router login page and checked all settings.  Resaved, rebooted, etc... Still NO INTERNET connection.

I called Cable support an they confirmed it was a router issue.

I called Netgear and they confirmed it was not a HW issue. They asked me to press reset for 10 seconds.

Orbi router came up in original state.  I logged in and setup as though it was the first time  -- changing SSID and password to the values prior to modem replacement.

WHAM -- PROBLEM SOLVED.

Since the issue spanned two days so I want to understand why the router needed to be reset? 

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
wwlen1
Guide

The orbi might have been given a reserved ip address during the previous setup.

The new router might have been set to a different IP than the orbi was looking for.

Resetting the orbi would have removed the reserved IP and let it sync to the router.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have powered OFF the ISP modem and RBR for 1 minute, then back ON with the modem then RBR...RBR should have got internet services then. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 3
wwlen1
Guide

The orbi might have been given a reserved ip address during the previous setup.

The new router might have been set to a different IP than the orbi was looking for.

Resetting the orbi would have removed the reserved IP and let it sync to the router.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7