Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 + Satelite

mkrol
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 + Satelite

I've had the router and satellite for 1 week. The concept is great, the actual result is extremely poor.

My signal drops are constant every 20min on all of my devices. My family hates me for switching from linksys router to Orbi and to be frank, I'm upset with myself too.

I've tried updating latest firmware, running only rbr50 with satellite off, restoring to factory settings, changing wifi channels for 2.4 and 5ghz, changing support recommend options, turning the router into a bridge (what's the point of doing that) non of it works.

Speed test results widely vary, on 75mb Comcast my old router has 95% download at 70-95Mb. However, orbi results are crazy, with 0.2-30mb occasionally reaching 80mb after I restart the unit.

I don't have the receipt so I'm at loss of $350. I'm most likely going to try to sell it on craigslist or eBay, or put this thing away.

However, I'll never buy netgear products nor recommend. Moreover, my intent is to have my friends and family be aware of this brand!
Message 1 of 4
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi RBR50 + Satelite

@mkrol wrote:
I've had the router and satellite for 1 week. The concept is great, the actual result is extremely poor.

My signal drops are constant every 20min on all of my devices. My family hates me for switching from linksys router to Orbi and to be frank, I'm upset with myself too.

I've tried updating latest firmware, running only rbr50 with satellite off, restoring to factory settings, changing wifi channels for 2.4 and 5ghz, changing support recommend options, turning the router into a bridge (what's the point of doing that) non of it works.

Speed test results widely vary, on 75mb Comcast my old router has 95% download at 70-95Mb. However, orbi results are crazy, with 0.2-30mb occasionally reaching 80mb after I restart the unit.

I don't have the receipt so I'm at loss of $350. I'm most likely going to try to sell it on craigslist or eBay, or put this thing away.

However, I'll never buy netgear products nor recommend. Moreover, my intent is to have my friends and family be aware of this brand!

I've had a similar issue with signal drops with UPnP on, but when I turned that setting off the Orbi has been rock solid now for 3+ weeks with some highly sensitive applicaitons running across wireless, so I am sure I would notice.

Also have you worked with Netgear support to try to resolve the issue and what have they suggested?

You say latest firmware - what firmware is that? I am running 2.0...

Message 2 of 4
mkrol
Aspirant

I haven't tried turning off upnp, all my tries where under direction from netgear' support. My firmware on the router and satellite is at 1.12.0.8
Message 3 of 4
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'd have to agree that I did not find their support very useful. They did not even get me to try the 2.0 firmware even though it was publicly available at the time I had called them.

If you are able to update firmware to the 2.0 code...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-0-availability/m-p/1368730#M13446 

Many people have said that code resolved many of their issues. Though for me it was turning off UPnP that stabalized it.

Once you update, reset your settings to default and only change what you need to.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7