Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 Will Not Factory Reset

arikado
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 Will Not Factory Reset

Hello, 

While trying to update the firmware of my Orbi RBR50, it repeated failed and will not factory reset. 

I've tried to paperclip method, and the sattalite sucessfully reset, but the main router will not no matter which method attemped. 

I've tried to force the updated firmware onto the router, but my PC is not recognizing the router as conneceted and will not push the updated firmware. 

Any assistance would be appreacited. 

Thanks, 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 Will Not Factory Reset

@arikado wrote:

I've tried to force the updated firmware onto the router, but my PC is not recognizing the router as conneceted and will not push the updated firmware. 

If the regular factory reset process doesn't work, @michaelkenward described an undocumented way to get an Orbi to factory reset:

Press paperclip in reset hole for 30 seconds
Keep pressing paperclip while removing power
Keep pressing paperclip for another 30 seconds while apply power

Did you try to "force" firmware using TFTP?

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP 

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds only then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

If this fails, then try the suggested TFTP recovery that @CrimpOn mentioned.

Message 3 of 9
arikado
Tutor

Hi all, 

Yeah, neither of the factory reset methods worked. 

I've tried the paper clip for 15 seconds and removing, Nothing. 

I've tried holding the button for 30 seconds and then powering office, keep holding reset and then power on. Nothing. 

My power indicator light just remains solid green now matter what I do. 

As I mentioned, the RBS50 factory reset no problem, paper clip in, amber blinking, no biggie. But the RBR50 is being stubborn. 

I haved tried to force the updated firmware to the RBR50, but my PC still won't reconize that it is plugged in, the ethernet shows as unplugged. 

What is the cable setup from the RBR50 to the PC? 

I have the RBR50 plugged into the power outlet, but otherwise the only cable coming out of the back of the router is going direclty to the PC. 

I have tired to connect to the PC via the yellow "internet" port and through all three of the "eternet" ports and still cannot get it to work. 

Since the power light has remained solid green, I'm not sure if any of the firmware pushes have worked since all of those tutorials mention getting an amber flashing LED before the installation will proceed. 

Thanks again for the assistance. 

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the TFTP suggestion...

Message 5 of 9
arikado
Tutor

Hi @FURRYe38 , 

I have tried it a few times, and like I said, one of the main steps seems to be waiting an amber flashing LED. 

My power indicator light remains green no matter what I've done. 

I have tired to force the installed using the Windows TFTP, as well as using the tftpd64 file Netgear recommends downloading and neither work. 

When I attempt the Windwos TFTP, I get a response in the CMD explaining how the "-i" command works and statying that I need to supply a [destination] which isn't listed in any example. 

When I attempt the tftpd64 file, at push PUT, nothing happens. 

Like I said, I just get solid green on the power LED, so I'm not certain any of these push methods have worked at all. 

Thanks again for your time and assistance, 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and see what your options are.

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 9
arikado
Tutor

Thanks very much for your time. 

I've opened a ticket with Netgear, and while I wait i've already purchased another RBR50, hopefully arriving tomorrow.  

I'll see if I can repair the original and add it to the mesh. 

Thanks again for all of your time and suggestions, @FURRYe38 . Have a wonderful day. 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements