Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 and Slow WiFi Problems with iOS Devices

FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Daisy Chain, MIMO and Fast Roaming.
Try using a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz.

Do a full reboot of router and satellite(s).

Try using the Orbi router alone to see if problem still continues.

Last resort, try a full factory reset on the entire system and set up from scratch.

@azbrd wrote:

My RBR50s are are the very latest FW, V2.1.4.10 and I continuously have issues with IOS devices ONLY. After rebooting the router everything works fine and 24hrs later my ipads, iphonex cant connect to anything on the internet.  This IS a Orbi bug, when the router is rebooted everything works fine for ~24hours, devices connected via wire work fine, no limitations or restrictions so this is a WIFI ONLY issue.  Netgear needs to get there heads out of the sand and fix this problem on their flagship product!

Message 26 of 77
azbrd
Guide

So you are suggesting to disable ALL the features including elimintation of the satallites???  Why did I purchase this product??

Why not have Netgear FIX the bug that many of us are experiencing??

Last resort, try a full factory reset on the entire system and set up from scratch.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 27 of 77
tsig
Luminary

Although you won't want to believe it, neither my iphone 8, the wife's iphone X or our ipad air have any speed issues at all using our Orbi system.  Believe me, I would hear about it if she did.

Message 28 of 77
tsig
Luminary

Because  

"This IS a Orbi bug, when the router is rebooted everything works fine for ~24hours, devices connected via wire work fine, no limitations or restrictions so this is a WIFI ONLY issue.  Netgear needs to get there heads out of the sand and fix this problem on their flagship product!"

Isn't true for all users.  Do you not want to hear from those who don't have the same issue? 

Message 29 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried the suggestions?

Some of these features are not needed, Daisy chain is for two or more satellites piggy backing off one another, MIMO is for client devices that support MIMO. Fast Roaming maybe supported however depends on how client devices handle Roaming, various client hw handles this differently. The features are there and enabled however doesn't always mean they need to be enabled. I only have Beamforming enabled here and I have ZERO issues with wifi.

@azbrd wrote:

So you are suggesting to disable ALL the features including elimintation of the satallites???  Why did I purchase this product??

Why not have Netgear FIX the bug that many of us are experiencing??

Message 30 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

Well, the current firmware, V2.1.4.10, seems to be another step backward.  I can now only go about three days without having to restart the system and not only are the satellites affected, but the router loses its mind now as well.  This is definitely not going well and impacts all of my devices, not just the iOS devices.

I also feel the need to respond to those recommending that we disable many features, that are on by default I might mention, in order to get the system to work properly.  This is no fix for these issues, but is simply a user-developed workaround.  If the manufacturer, Netgear, cannot make these features work together then they need to ship them disabled by default and quit advertising them.  Otherwise, it’s time to get the Federal TradeCommission (FTC) to get after them.

It really disturbs me that Netgear can’t get it together and resolve these issues after all of this time.  It’s not like they are blazing new trails here.  This technology and the standards behind it have been around for years now and are well understood.  All of the problems we’re experiencing are indicative of very poor development and testing practices and may also indicate that there are hardware issues as well because they can’t get things to work consistently across the same line of devices.

If Netgear can’t get this resolved soon, I will be forced to replace the system and remove Netgear from my approved vendor list.  Reliable WiFi access should be like any other utility, reliable, in the background, and essentially forgotten about.  If our electrical service, water, or natural gas supplies were as unreliable as the Orbis have been, we’d all be up in arms over the failures!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 31 of 77
naerok
Apprentice

I've posted something similar here before but here goes nothing:

this is a known issue documented in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/What-you-can-expect-with-your-Orbi-system/m-p/1503034#M23257

good luck - so far the only solution seems to be putting a smart outlet / timer on your satellite(s) to reboot them once every 24 hours (I'm not joking) or rolling back the firmware (but I still see people saying they experience the same issues on the older firmware)

see this guy: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-dropping-connection/m-p/1512445#M24230

Don't listen to the netgear shills on these forums that blame the user and give you the same bs about trying to disable beamforming/mimo or moving the satellites closer to the router.  Waste of time until netgear releases a fix. 

I really don't understand the people here that think repeating the same things blindly (have you tried disabling beam forwarding? mimo? have you tried spinning in a circle 4 times while holding the orbi above your head and dancing with it?) and talk down on the users that experience real issues.
Message 32 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling Daisy Chain, MIMO and Fast Roaming. Daisy Chain isn't need if you only have 1 satellite, MIMO is only needed if you have supporting client HW. Try this and see. I have Beamforming enabled is all.
Try using a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4ghz. I use channel 1 here. Manual Channel 48.

Last resort, try a full factory reset on the entire system and set up from scratch. Sometimes updating FW doesn't get fully seated. Needs a clean reset and set up.

Honestly, I've not had any issues with iOS devices with my Orbi system since day one. I have 5 iOS devices too. Orbi is online 24/7 with out any need of a timer to power cycle the unit.

@DarrenM

@Bandito wrote:

Well, the current firmware, V2.1.4.10, seems to be another step backward.  I can now only go about three days without having to restart the system and not only are the satellites affected, but the router loses its mind now as well.  This is definitely not going well and impacts all of my devices, not just the iOS devices.

I also feel the need to respond to those recommending that we disable many features, that are on by default I might mention, in order to get the system to work properly.  This is no fix for these issues, but is simply a user-developed workaround.  If the manufacturer, Netgear, cannot make these features work together then they need to ship them disabled by default and quit advertising them.  Otherwise, it’s time to get the Federal TradeCommission (FTC) to get after them.

It really disturbs me that Netgear can’t get it together and resolve these issues after all of this time.  It’s not like they are blazing new trails here.  This technology and the standards behind it have been around for years now and are well understood.  All of the problems we’re experiencing are indicative of very poor development and testing practices and may also indicate that there are hardware issues as well because they can’t get things to work consistently across the same line of devices.

If Netgear can’t get this resolved soon, I will be forced to replace the system and remove Netgear from my approved vendor list.  Reliable WiFi access should be like any other utility, reliable, in the background, and essentially forgotten about.  If our electrical service, water, or natural gas supplies were as unreliable as the Orbis have been, we’d all be up in arms over the failures!

Message 33 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Also might not be fully a NG problem, rather Apple issue as well if your using any form of 11.x.x iOS:

https://www.gottabemobile.com/ios-11-problems-5-things-you-need-to-know/

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/ios-11-problems-how-to-fix-them

Message 34 of 77
azbrd
Guide

Its very possible that IOS is contributing to this Orbi connection issue.  My router & satellites are running V2.1.4.10, its also possible that the number of connected devices plays a role in this, it would explain why some systems dont experience issues.  My home is fully wired with CAT5e so I have a lot of wired connections as well as wi-fi, my connection count is >50 devices including 2 satallites.  Post the number of connections on your systems, lets see if there is a relationship.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 35 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Mines 20 devices and 1 satellite.

Mixed of wired and wireless, 5 iPhones, 1 iPad, 3 cameras and 2 NEST controllers...6 PCs and two game consoles 3 printers. Dish Hopper and 3 Joeys.

Message 36 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

I am running right around 50 devices depending on what’s turned on at the time.  About 8 of them are wired. 

The problems I’m experiencing under V2.1.4.10 are impacting all devices now, not just the iOS devices.  You go to access the Internet and it is either dead or very slow.  Connecting directly to the cable modem shows no problem with the incoming connection and it is working well, but the Orbis are not.  Now, it’s necessary to restart all of the Orbis to get a good working connection again.

The majority of my systems are recent and take advantage of MU-MIMO and other features that many are recommending be turned off.  I don’t want to cripple my network because Netgear can’t get their act together.

I grew too weary with the Orbi’s problems yesterday, so I took them out and replaced them all with a Linksys Velop system, which is up and running now.  If it makes it for a couple of weeks without incident, I’ll probably keep it and try to dispose of the Orbis.

Message 37 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Could try this when you get a chance:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-Homekit/m-p/1565698/thread-id/31140

@Bandito wrote:

I am running right around 50 devices depending on what’s turned on at the time.  About 8 of them are wired. 

The problems I’m experiencing under V2.1.4.10 are impacting all devices now, not just the iOS devices.  You go to access the Internet and it is either dead or very slow.  Connecting directly to the cable modem shows no problem with the incoming connection and it is working well, but the Orbis are not.  Now, it’s necessary to restart all of the Orbis to get a good working connection again.

The majority of my systems are recent and take advantage of MU-MIMO and other features that many are recommending be turned off.  I don’t want to cripple my network because Netgear can’t get their act together.

I grew too weary with the Orbi’s problems yesterday, so I took them out and replaced them all with a Linksys Velop system, which is up and running now.  If it makes it for a couple of weeks without incident, I’ll probably keep it and try to dispose of the Orbis.

Message 38 of 77
azbrd
Guide

@Bandito Keep us posted on how the Linksys Velop works, I bought my Orbi system at Costco so it should be easy enough to return and make a switch.  Too bad Netgear is just ignoring the issue with their product, maybe some lost sales and lots of returns they will get the message.

Message 39 of 77
azbrd
Guide

@FURRYe38 Thanks for the link but it says Use this work-around release  only if you are having issues with Apple HomeKit connectivity.  I don't have any apple homekit in use so this patch would probably not apply. 

Message 40 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

@FURRYe38

That temporary firmware is for those with specific HomeKit issues, so does not apply to my situation.  Besides, I’m done with troubleshooting the Orbis.  If I was a consultant for Netgear and could charge them for my time working on these things, I’d be a wealthy man.

@azbrd

I’ll keep you updated with what happens.  Even though I’ve had the Orbis for several months now, I also bought them at Costco, so I may still try to return them and see what happens.

Message 41 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 42 of 77
Bandito
Luminary

Thought I'd pop in with an update here to let you all know how things are going so far.

The Velop system has performed flawlessly so far without a hiccup or any drops in speed over the last week.  I am hopeful that this will  continue to be the case.

The Velop system is definitely not as fast as the Orbis are when they are functioning correctly.  With the Orbis, I would almost always get a good full speed from Speedtest throughout all but the farthest reaches of the house, where it would only drop off slightly.  For the most part I was always able to get the full 150 Mbs Internet service that I have with Xfinity and the distant points would only drop to about 125 or so.  With the Velop system, I'm gettting an average of 100 Mbs in most of the house and only achieving the full speed within about 10-12 feet of the main router.

It's a bit tough to see the speed loss, but the reliability is probably worth it.  In reading the specs for the Velop system, I'm not sure why I'm seeing such a drop in speed when  everything should be capable of running faster.  I may have to spend a little time to see if I can determine why this is the case, though I shouldn't have to tinker with any of these systems.

Maybe when the next firmware update comes out I'll try the Orbis again to see what happens, but I'm not too confident that Netgear will really get them fixed and reliable anytime soon.

So far, the Velop system is at least very reliable even if a bit slower.  At least it's not like when the Orbis slow down to 2-3 Mbps or cannot reach the Internet at all on a regular basis.

Message 43 of 77
azbrd
Guide

I'm going to start posting this review on sites like Amazon, Bestbuy, Costco etc.  See if this gets Netgears attention to act:

DO NOT PURCHASE ANY ORBI PRODUCT IF YOU HAVE WIRELESS APPLE DEVICES

Be aware there is a long-standing issue with Orbi and Apple IOS devices that Netgear

Has completely ignored.  What happens is that over a 24-36hour period wi-fi performace of IOS devices (iphones, iPads etc) will degrade until the IOS device can no longer connect to anything.

Netgear’s ONLY response to date is to reboot the Orbi router which does clear the issue for another 24-36 hours.  Netgear has even gone so far as to suggest that customers put a timer on their Orbi devices that power cycles them on a 24hr basis.  There have been some other suggestions to turn off features of the Orbi system to eliminate this problem, all of them are suspect and don’t make sense, why would you buy a product like Orbi only to have to turn off features to make it work properly.

Message 44 of 77
tsig
Luminary

@azbrd

Your wrong.  My orbi is lightening fast and rock solid.  No issues with my iphone 8, my wifes iphone x or our ipad air. 

Message 45 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

Same with my iPhone 6sP, iphone 5c, iPad Mini, ATV, iMac 2008, Mac Book Pro 2008 and a iPhone 4S. Has been working since day 1 with my 40 series system.

Message 46 of 77
j1n
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have many apple devices in my home. I noticed you are using AP Mode. What type of Router do you have behind the Orbi System?

I’ve always used the Orbi system without AP Mode, and before that I used an Asus Router along with Netgear Fast lane Repeaters. The main issue I have with my mobile Apple devices is the wifi seems to disconnect, particularly when I am moving my wireless device from one area to another. An example is if I’m cutting grass around my house and I’m connected to Bluetooth headphones, I noticed that my wireless completely disconnects and then a minute later it reconnects. Or if farm on my phone texting someone or looking at an article and I moved to a different part of the house the wireless intermittently disconnects from my device.

Also with my stationary devices, sometimes the wireless connection disconnects and/or freezes when I’m streaming. I have a plenty fast enough connection with 250 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up.
Message 47 of 77
Ulairi
Luminary

@tsig wrote:

@azbrd

Your wrong.  My orbi is lightening fast and rock solid.  No issues with my iphone 8, my wifes iphone x or our ipad air. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Same with my iPhone 6sP, iphone 5c, iPad Mini, ATV, iMac 2008, Mac Book Pro 2008 and a iPhone 4S. Has been working since day 1 with my 40 series system.

Nobody is doubting that you both are having flawless use of your Orbi systems.  You're both fortunate / lucky / blessed / dodged a bullet.  

However, anyone who's active on this forum will know that there are a number of recurring, valid, problems that affect a percentage of the Orbi users - especially the RBK50 series.  I've had previous discussion with Tsig over the percentage of users that are unhappy (approx 20% based on over 4000 reviews on Amazon) 

To respond to someone's problems by saying that your system is just dandy is like saying "there's nothing wrong with playing Russian Roullete because I just pulled the trigger and the gun didn't go off" 

People don't come to this forum because their Orbi is working well - so the majority of users will never be on here.

Keep up the good work of helping folk who post here. Smiley Happy

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 48 of 77
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree to a point that not everyone has been lucky as some of us. I also put a lot of grain of salt behind so called "reviews" on Amazon. Yes I presume there are some valid and unbiased reviews out there. However, we don't know what the real issue is. Theres many various environments and interferences problems and also iOS issues as well. There is iOS known issues as well. So unless we delve more into troubleshooting and figure out where the real problems is, we just can't always blame NG or the Orbi system or FW. There are many factors that can contribute to end user experiences. Ya, it's always been the users claim to always blame the router. We have to at least take a good overall look and troubleshoot into find out where the real issue is before just saying, it's the routers fault. Been too many users claiming this and I have experienced where diving into and getting more information and troubleshooting, come to find out that some problems are not to blame with the router. Smiley Wink

Of course, its not ways like this, there are HW issues at the router and FW level. Not saying there isn't. This is why some of us ask for details and to help us get a better picture of each users situation and environment. If all environments were the same, this would probably be easy. LOL. However it's not. So theres reason why I suggestion factory resets and set up from scratch. Manual channesl and disable those wireless features. Ask about wifi neighbors and connected device info and historical details. What modems are they using. All this information is helpful. 

One day, will be nice to have it all working. In a perfect world. Smiley Very Happy

Have a great weekend. 

@Ulairi wrote:
@tsig wrote:

@azbrd

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Nobody is doubting that you both are having flawless use of your Orbi systems.  You're both fortunate / lucky / blessed / dodged a bullet.  

However, anyone who's active on this forum will know that there are a number of recurring, valid, problems that affect a percentage of the Orbi users - especially the RBK50 series.  I've had previous discussion with Tsig over the percentage of users that are unhappy (approx 20% based on over 4000 reviews on Amazon) 

To respond to someone's problems by saying that your system is just dandy is like saying "there's nothing wrong with playing Russian Roullete because I just pulled the trigger and the gun didn't go off" 

People don't come to this forum because their Orbi is working well - so the majority of users will never be on here.

Keep up the good work of helping folk who post here. Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 77
azbrd
Guide

@tsig 

Your making a statement with any details.  How many total devices are on your Orbi network, wired & wireless?  For me I'm well over 50 devices, half of the me are wifi.  I'm really glad to hear  someone is getting good, relyable performance out of Orbi, I just wish ALL of us were.

Message 50 of 77
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 76 replies
  • 30 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7