Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 bricked during update to 2.3.5.30

Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Lucas88 wrote:

so... what is the point to have your RBR50 updated? To my understanding, the updates are supposed to fix the problems, not to create the problems. NETGEAR should have some way to unbrick the RBR50 or a secure method to update the firmware. 

I have been with NetGear since WNDR3700 to NighthawkAC1900. I never had any problems before, but RBR50. I think it is time I should try some other brands.

I agree...however another way to look at it is to NOT perform updates.  NG pushes critical updates to you with no action required by the user.  As sad as it may sound, those who perform manual updates that break their system can only blame who...?  Of course there is another group of folks out here who love pain and encourgage others to join in and act as though they are still a part of the beta testing process. "Oh see how many system I encouraged to screw up and then help(?) fix..."

Whereas IF your system is updated by a NG push, well then at least you can't blame yourself.

At the end of the day....just leave it alone folks....if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Message 26 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

The best way to do updates is to do manual download of FW files from NGs support site. Use a wired PC and connect it directly to the RBS and update the RBS first then connect to the RBR and load the FW lastly on the RBR using the unpacked .zip FW files. Use IE11, Firefox or Opera to do the updates thru the RBSs/RBRs web pages. Theres been some bad experiences coming from users using the auto update FW feature on the RBRs web page. Use the manual method seen on the FW update feature page. 

I recommend after the RBS and RBR are updated, factory reset the system and setup from scratch. Been doing this way for a long time. Have not bricked any of my routers or satellites using this process. Works well and is a safest method. 

Some of us use this method ourselves. 

New FW seems to be fixing problems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1898060#M89482

Most problems are not FW related. 

Overall, its up to you to update FW and your choice too. It's best to review the release notes as well and make the decision to update. It's your system. Use it how you see fit. 

You can try Voxels FW for Orbi:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you.

@Lucas88 wrote:

so... what is the point to have your RBR50 updated? To my understanding, the updates are supposed to fix the problems, not to create the problems. NETGEAR should have some way to unbrick the RBR50 or a secure method to update the firmware. 

I have been with NetGear since WNDR3700 to NighthawkAC1900. I never had any problems before, but RBR50. I think it is time I should try some other brands.

Message 27 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The best way to do updates is to do manual download of FW files from NGs support site. 

Bad advice

The best way to do updates to NOT to do manual updates at all.  When there are critical updates for your system, NG will push them automatically to the user.  No action required.

Message 28 of 36
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

The ony bad advice is the ones given by VAJim. Please avoid his posts. Not helpful, valid or truthful. 

Had a long history of trolling and badgering users. 

Message 29 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BoilerPlate wrote:

The ony bad advice is the ones given by VAJim. Please avoid his posts. Not helpful, valid or truthful. 

Had a long history of trolling and badgering users. 

and what do you call yourself doing....??

Message 30 of 36
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Call you out and letting everyone know to avoid you. 

Message 31 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BoilerPlate wrote:

Call you out and letting everyone know to avoid you. 

feel better?........the only one that appears to be bothered is ....you!

scroll on is your friend

Message 32 of 36
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Your "bothered" by users trying to help others out though. Something the forum is here for. Help each other out. Not to troll or badger users. Your long historical invalid and "unfounded statement" posts only make you look back and very incompetent. You help no body by acting like this. "scroll on? How about you avoid posting. You are of no help to anyone. 

Message 33 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BoilerPlate wrote:

Your "bothered" by users trying to help others out though. Something the forum is here for. Help each other out. Not to troll or badger users. 

Bothered..?  Not bothered, more like concerned.  You appear not to have been around long enough to witness the true 'hoarding' of this community of one individual, all the while spewing bogus info.  NG support has gone on record advises people, that if your system works, leave it alone.  

The one user in particular has long advocated his/her life on the edge and the joy experienced of playing beta tester or some sort of NG employee...?? 

I feel most folks in here don't want to be treated like a guinea pig, but would rather seek a clear and concise explanation (not copy/paste) and then told the truth concerning firmware updates.  NG used to push ALL updates.  Then the whining began.  So therefore, what you have today is the only updates that are pushed are those that contain critical updates.  All others should be viewed as highly risky.

You my friend may not agree with my position and that's fine.  Then may I suggest you support the opposing side and leave my posts to those who seek the truth.  

Have a great day.

Message 34 of 36
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

Well what users think and feel isn't of any of your concern. You have no "unfounded" information regarding what other do and do not think about when posting in the forums. From all the resolved posts seen, seems like most of the users are happy with what the community and comunity users are doing for them. No body asked you to be concerned and speak for everyone in the forums. If NetGear has problems with your one user you seem to dislike and bager all the time, I would think he wouldn't be posting like they do. You are not one to hold judgement or any one cirtical. The forum community is no the place for that. Too bad you can't understand that. 

Good Day. 

Message 35 of 36
BigRune
Apprentice

Well advice to not do manual updates of Orbi is good advice, unless you experience problems with current fw.

Time to cool down 😎 boys, nobody’s gonna win.
Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7