Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 intermittently dropping internet connection

A1406
Tutor

Orbi RBR50 intermittently dropping internet connection

Hello,

I am having issues with my RBR50 intermittently dropping our internet connection. It seems the router might be restarting at what seem like random times causing a WiFi disruption. I've looked into the logs, but a restart also seems to erase all log entries prior to the restart. The connection is restored after the RBR50 reboots. I updated the firmware to the most current version (2.7.2.104) and this did not fix the issue.

Any advice on how to continue troubleshooting?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 intermittently dropping internet connection

Get rid of 2.7.2.104

lots of problems 

Message 2 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@vajim wrote:

Get rid of 2.7.2.104

lots of problems 

The issue occured prior to the firmware update, so while that could be contributing factor, it's likely not the root cause.

Or is there a way to confirm it's the firmware causing the issue? Is there a more stable version I should download and apply? Does netgear even give access to previous firmware versions?

Message 3 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

@A1406 wrote:

Hello,

I am having issues with my RBR50 intermittently dropping our internet connection. It seems the router might be restarting at what seem like random times causing a WiFi disruption. I've looked into the logs, but a restart also seems to erase all log entries prior to the restart. The connection is restored after the RBR50 reboots. I updated the firmware to the most current version (2.7.2.104) and this did not fix the issue.

The problem was happening before firmware was updated to 2.7.2.104?

It would be useful to confirm whether the Orbi is (a) dropping the network connection, (b) the Orbi is restarting, or (c) the Orbi remains on line but has quit providing WiFi. 

• When the Orbi restarts, the Orbi log is reset (empty), whether it restarts by itself or the user restarts it (power switch, reset hole, etc.) Can you look at the Orbi log file before attempting to restart the Orbi yourself?
  • If only the internet connection has dropped, then devices should continue to connect to the Orbi WiFi, but be unable to "do anything" on the internet.
  • If the internet connection remains good, but WiFi has dropped, then a device connected to the Orbi with ethernet should continue to function correctly.
  •  

If the network connection is dropping

Message 4 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-Have-You-Installed-V2-7-2-104/td-p/2055212/jump-to/first...

@A1406 wrote:

Hello,

Message 5 of 29
vajim
Master

@A1406 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Get rid of 2.7.2.104

lots of problems 

The issue occured prior to the firmware update, so while that could be contributing factor, it's likely not the root cause.

Or is there a way to confirm it's the firmware causing the issue? Is there a more stable version I should download and apply? Does netgear even give access to previous firmware versions?

Go to the download section here and enter your model number.   

do a search here on 2,7.2.104.   Lots of complaints 

Message 6 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@A1406 wrote:

Hello,

The problem was happening before firmware was updated to 2.7.2.104?

It would be useful to confirm whether the Orbi is (a) dropping the network connection, (b) the Orbi is restarting, or (c) the Orbi remains on line but has quit providing WiFi. 

• When the Orbi restarts, the Orbi log is reset (empty), whether it restarts by itself or the user restarts it (power switch, reset hole, etc.) Can you look at the Orbi log file before attempting to restart the Orbi yourself?
  • If only the internet connection has dropped, then devices should continue to connect to the Orbi WiFi, but be unable to "do anything" on the internet.
  • If the internet connection remains good, but WiFi has dropped, then a device connected to the Orbi with ethernet should continue to function correctly.
  •  

If the network connection is dropping

Yes, this was happening before updating to 2.7.2.104.

Agreed, what you're proposing makes sense. My sense is that it is (b), but I am not yet 100% sure. 

• Yes, I can do that. What information would be useful that I can provide?
  • I believe I am losing connection to the Orbi and it is not that the internet connection has dropped.
  • I have some home entertainment peripherals hardwired to the Orbi, but so far this has only occured while I am working on my laptop which is connected via WiFi (which drops when the issue occurs). 
Message 7 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@vajim wrote:

@A1406 wrote:

@vajim wrote:

Get rid of 2.7.2.104

lots of problems 

Go to the download section here and enter your model number.   

do a search here on 2,7.2.104.   Lots of complaints 

I've found where I can download previous firmware versions. Is there a version I should apply that is generally accepted as stable?

Message 8 of 29
vajim
Master

If you can't remember your last stable version try one back

tip.....stop performing firmware updates 

Message 9 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-Have-You-Installed-V2-7-2-104/td-p/2055212/jump-to/first...

@A1406 wrote:

Hello,

I have fiber optic service through Sonic and the modem was installed in a way where I cannot see the mfr/model#. I will have to reach out to them for this info.

I will try a factory reset and setup from scratch.

Message 10 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, only checking to see if there is a router at the modem or not. These can be problematic. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.

Message 11 of 29
vajim
Master

@A1406 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@A1406 wrote:

Hello,

I have fiber optic service through Sonic and the modem was installed in a way where I cannot see the mfr/model#. I will have to reach out to them for this info.

I will try a factory reset and setup from scratch.

Keep an eye on that firmware 

Message 12 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@FURRYe38 @CrimpOn 

I havn't yet had a chance to factory reset and re-setup the RBR50, but something happpened last night that could provide some insight.

I was playing Xbox (which is hardwired to the RBR50) and the internet connection dropped/I was disconnected. The RBR50 LEDs then went to solid white, stayed solidly lit for a bit, then went to pulsing white. The connection was then reestablished.

Does the fact that a hardwired peripheral lost connection and the LED info/behavior provide any clues?

Message 13 of 29
vajim
Master

if you're still running 2.7.2.104 it might

Message 14 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Were you able to find the brand and model# of the ISP Modem the RBR is connected too?

Besides the xbox being connected to the RBR, is there any other wire connected devices with the RBR? 

Possible that the RBR saw a quick connection problem between the RBR and Modem and wasn't long enough to show PINK and the RBR soon recovered the connection with the modem...

I have two xbox consoles connected to mine...

@A1406 wrote:

I havn't yet had a chance to factory reset and re-setup the RBR50, but something happpened last night that could provide some insight.

I was playing Xbox (which is hardwired to the RBR50) and the internet connection dropped/I was disconnected. The RBR50 LEDs then went to solid white, stayed solidly lit for a bit, then went to pulsing white. The connection was then reestablished.

Does the fact that a hardwired peripheral lost connection and the LED info/behavior provide any clues?

Message 15 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

@A1406 wrote:

The Orbi log may contain a clue if there is an entry at the time of this event.

Message 16 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Were you able to find the brand and model# of the ISP Modem the RBR is connected too?

Besides the xbox being connected to the RBR, is there any other wire connected devices with the RBR? 

Possible that the RBR saw a quick connection problem between the RBR and Modem and wasn't long enough to show PINK and the RBR soon recovered the connection with the modem...

@A1406 wrote:

I have not heard back from my ISP about the modem brand and model.

Besides the Xbox, there is an Apple TV, Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device, and a Sonos speaker hardwired to the RBR.

Would my ISP be able to determine if this is caused by quick connection problems?  

Message 17 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@A1406 wrote:

The Orbi log may contain a clue if there is an entry at the time of this event.

It looks like the log was deleted again after the RBR rebooted.

I do see A LOT of "attacks" logged. I've seen this in the past, googled it, and found that it seems to mostly be the RBR miscatagorizing pings, but I've always been a bit uncomfortable about this. Previously the IP addressess were from Amazon. Attacks catagorized as the following:

[DoS Attack: TCP/UDP Chargen]
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan]
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] 
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] 

Message 18 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

They can see if the modem or there services have seen any odd problems from there logs, should be able to. 

Do you know if ther modem has a built in router and wifi or is it just a stand alone modem? 

@A1406 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@A1406 wrote:

Besides the Xbox, there is an Apple TV, Network-Attached Storage (NAS) device, and a Sonos speaker hardwired to the RBR.

Would my ISP be able to determine if this is caused by quick connection problems?  

Message 19 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

They can see if the modem or there services have seen any odd problems from there logs, should be able to. 

Do you know if ther modem has a built in router and wifi or is it just a stand alone modem? 

@A1406 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@A1406 wrote:

The modem is a standalone unit. No built in router

Looking at what the RBR LEDs indicate, would a quick disconnect from the modem cause the RBR to reboot?

Solid white = Orbi router is powering up.
Pulsing white = Orbi router is in factory default mode. 

Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

OK Thanks for that info...

With Orbi anything is possible. Smiley Frustrated

I would try the factory reset and setup from scratch when you get the time.

Message 21 of 29
A1406
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK Thanks for that info...

With Orbi anything is possible. Smiley Frustrated

I would try the factory reset and setup from scratch when you get the time.

I'll have to wait for this weekend for the factory reset. Will let you know how it goes.

I do see A LOT of "attacks" noted in the log. I've seen this in the past, googled it, and found a lot of posts mentioning this could be the RBR miscatagorizing pings, but I've always been a bit uncomfortable about this. Previously the IP addressess were from Amazon. Attacks catagorized as the following:

[DoS Attack: TCP/UDP Chargen]
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan]
[DoS Attack: RST Scan] 
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] 

Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned?

Message 22 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes been lots of info about how Orbi miscatagorizes these log entries. If your checking on the IP addresses and there from places like Amazon and Google, then these can be ok. Those kind of depend on what devices and what services your accessing as well. 

To try and help narrow some of this down, if you can find the time, turn off everything accept for the RBR and one wired PC. Clear the log on the RBR. Close all apps on the PC and check the log enteries for a short period of time. Also check the behavior as well.

Then start turning on devices. Check the log as you go. You might notice enteries start to populate maybe at some point. 

Message 23 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

@A1406 wrote:

Looking at what the RBR LEDs indicate, would a quick disconnect from the modem cause the RBR to reboot?

I think not.  When I remove the modem ethernet cable from the Orbi WAN (yellow) port, the ring light turns magenta.

The Orbi remains "alive", still broadcasting the WiFi SSID.

Message 24 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be a good test try. Like @CrimpOn said, it should not reboot if you try that:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7