Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 router, Brother HL-5470DW printer

dubbled
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 router, Brother HL-5470DW printer

My 6-year-old Brother HL-5470DW printer shows "PRINT UNABLE E1" about every 2 weeks and has to be restarted. Otherwise, this printer works perfectly. I have contacted Brother support and their only recommendation is to "contact the router manufacturer for help with settings." They have nothing further to add regarding WHAT settings. Whether wired or wireless, the problem has persisted for a year. I can restart the printer and all is well for another 2 weeks before the error appears again.

I'm hoping someone here has seen this issue and knows what the problem might be, even though it sounds like a Brother problem they wish to avoid. Any hints will be appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 router, Brother HL-5470DW printer

@dubbled wrote:

My 6-year-old Brother HL-5470DW printer shows "PRINT UNABLE E1" about every 2 weeks and has to be restarted. Otherwise, this printer works perfectly. I have contacted Brother support and their only recommendation is to "contact the router manufacturer for help with settings." They have nothing further to add regarding WHAT settings. Whether wired or wireless, the problem has persisted for a year. I can restart the printer and all is well for another 2 weeks before the error appears again.

Interesting.  Searching for Brother HL-5470DW and PRINT UNABLE E1 brings up two types of response: (1) there is a hardware malfunction, and (2) the router settings.  This link shows how to print out debug information from the printer:

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142359/~/print-unable-e1 

It is not helpful that the User Manual does not appear to contain this error code.

https://download.brother.com/welcome/doc002935/cv_hl5470dw_use_usr.pdf 

I did see one suggestion that error E1 could be caused by a document with invalid codes. Seems unlikely.

What a puzzle!

Message 2 of 3
dubbled
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBR50 router, Brother HL-5470DW printer

What’s so annoying is that Brother thinks contacting the router mfg will get results. A scenario of that conversation is a comedy routine. I tend strongly toward a hardware issue, say in the formatter, similar to an issue in an HP LaserJet some years ago. I and my checking account quickly tired of buying reconditioned formatters that would last a year before the problem would return. Just have the feeling that Brother knows but won’t say what the issue is. Thanks for contributing your thoughts to my question.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7