Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50 router will not start or reset

DapperDano
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 router will not start or reset

Hi,

I have an Orbi RBR50 that I got in a RBK50 two pack that suddenly stopped working.  It had previously been working great for two years and I'm out of warranty.  The glow from the top doesn't turn on and the green power light just stays on in the back.  Everything I've found so far leads to replacing the unit, but throwing this out there in case.  Anyone found a solution to this issue?  Has anyone successfully gotten a replacement after warranty?  Seems like they won't even let me contact them.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Have you tried a Factory Reset?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Message 2 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

Yes, holding the reset button with a paper clip (I feel the click) does nothing.  The power light just stays green.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you see on the top ring LED? Should blink WHITE first then pulsate WHITE.

Can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 if the top ring pulsates WHITE? 

Message 4 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

The top light does not come on at all (no pulsating), although I feel like that might have stopped working a while ago.  I am unable to login to the router at at all the the wifi does not come up.

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If this fails then the RBR needs to be replaced:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 
I had a problem on a Windows 10 PC where this didn't work to use TFTP, so I switched to a WIndows 7 PC and the TFTP worked.

Try nmrpflash?
Others have had luck with that when tftp didn't work
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 6 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

Thanks, I"ll try that today

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

When trying the Windows TFTP solution, my computer wouldn't even recognize that it was connected to a network when the router was on and connected.  Going to try the unbrick utilty next.

Message 9 of 19
xiaoxian
Aspirant

i have some problem, I thnk the cpu is done.sad

Message 10 of 19
xiaoxian
Aspirant

think about change CPU on board

Message 11 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

Neither of the last resort solution worked unfortunately, there's not even any recognition on the network, can't upload the firmware.  If there was a way it could pull from usb then maybe i could try that, but otherwise I'm calling to see about a replacement.

Message 12 of 19
xiaoxian
Aspirant

Something’s is wrong in firmware or cpu don’t follow the firmware. Because I checked 5v 3v 1.5 all power supply are good. Only one reason is cpu.
Message 13 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

Customer support was worthless, they just kept trying to sell me some extended warranty for further tech support, my only shot is e-mailing the customer care team and telling them my out of warranty product is broken and see what they do.  I've invested a fair amount in orbi nodes so this is pretty disappointing.  They have just about lost themselves a customer.

Message 14 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@DapperDano wrote:

Customer support was worthless, they just kept trying to sell me some extended warranty for further tech support, my only shot is e-mailing the customer care team and telling them my out of warranty product is broken and see what they do.

"Customer Care Team"?  Learn something new every day.  I would not mention anything about opening the case or putting a volt meter on the power leads.  If anything is sure to "void the warranty" that would be it.

I probably do not understand warranties very well, but my sense is that "1 year" means "1 year".  We had the opportunity to extend the warranty (within 90 days of purchase).  I did not do so, just like I did not extend the warranty on any other appliances.  I figured that if only one of them breaks, I will have saved more by not extending warranties than buying a new appliance will cost.  Sometimes I win. Sometimes I lose.

Message 15 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

It's possible the person was just sending me to bug someone else, but it's just some customer.service@netgear.com e-mail.  She kept telling me it was an internet problem when I'm trying to tell her the thing is broken and that the local network won't even come up.  I doubt I will get anywhere.

In any case, I do agree.  I don't get extended warranties on anything and for the most part equipment is fine for many years.  On the rare case they do bite you, you've saved more than if you bought all the warranties.  Unfortunately it seems today was the day i've been bitten.

Message 16 of 19
wwlen1
Guide

Try a new power supply.

Try a 30/30/30 reset. Power on router and wait long enough for full power on (about 5 minutes).

Keep an eye on the power light the whole time to see if it flashes during the reset.

Push in and hold the r set button for 30 seconds.

Continue holding the reset button and power down. Continue holding for 30 seconds.

Continue holding the reset button and power up. Continue holding for 30 seconds.

Release the power button and let the router reboot.

If this doesn't fix the problem, the hopefully you saw the power 🕯️ ght flash red/orange during the power on 30 second period.

If you did, setup a computer according to the Netgear instructions for TFTP.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

You should be able to TFTP the firmware while the light is flashing when you half the reset button while powering on the router.
Message 17 of 19
DapperDano
Aspirant

I tried this 4 different times (2 different power cables) and unfortunately not a single flashing light, green the whole time.  Thank you very much for the suggestion though.

Message 18 of 19
wwlen1
Guide

Sorry it didn't help.

At least the routers are fairly cheap used now as a lot of people are upgrading to WiFi 6.

I got three RBR-40s from Amazon for $28 each about a week ago and converted two to satellites.

Good luck.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7