Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 + satellite disconnects regularly

Raemey
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 + satellite disconnects regularly

I have the RBR50 near the incoming access for the internet line into the house.  It is high up on the top of a cabinet.  I have the satellite about 50 feet away.  When the two are connected I am getting wonderful service/connection.  For instance the computer that is immediately below the RBR50 is getting 55-58 Mbps download.  When they two are connected, the computer within 6 feet of RBS50 is also getting 55-58 Mbps down.  But on a regular basis, the RBS50 drops off, and I will be in the middle of internet activity, and the signal is dropped completely.  All it usually taks is pushing the Sync button on the back of EBS50 and after just a few seconds of pulsing white light, it goes blank and I'm back in business.  I never had a magenta light at all.  I recently did an update on the hardware, but it dropped off again within 2 hours after that.  I need some suggestions as to how to stop this disconnection between RBR50 and RBS50.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 + satellite disconnects regularly

@Raemey wrote:

It is possible to have the RBS50 connected by ethernet, but will have to have my tech person do it.  Too much of a challenge for a 71 year old lady with medical issues.  Thanks for the suggestion.  If that doesn't work I will order another satellite.  Is the RBS50 still a viable choice?  Or has it been replaced by another model?  And if so, can they be melded together to work?

Yes RBS50 is available and is a good option, another option for this purpose s the RBW30 (plug in Satellite) if you don't need the 1.7 Gbps backhaul and can be satisfied with the 867 Mbps backhaul.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

I think that 50 feet is too long distance between the router and the satellite and I think this is causing the disconnections in the backhaul.

Please try to reduce the distance between the base stations to have enough overlap between them.

Message 2 of 7
Raemey
Aspirant

I  had the distance shorter, but the Mbps was always significantly lower - as low as 28 - on the computer closest to the RBS50.  Unfortunately the only place to put the satellite is at the edge of an upper loft.  However, there is too much steel and walls between the RBR50 and the RBS50 at that location.  In addition, there is no way to move the RBR50 out any farther since it MUST be attached to the internet box for access.  My husband tells me the distance is closer to 45 feet.

Message 3 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Raemey wrote:

I  had the distance shorter, but the Mbps was always significantly lower - as low as 28 - on the computer closest to the RBS50.  Unfortunately the only place to put the satellite is at the edge of an upper loft.  However, there is too much steel and walls between the RBR50 and the RBS50 at that location.  In addition, there is no way to move the RBR50 out any farther since it MUST be attached to the internet box for access.  My husband tells me the distance is closer to 45 feet.

I think that the distance is quite big for the units to communicate well.

- Do you have a possibility to have the units wired by Ethernet cable?

- Can you add a satellite in between?

Message 4 of 7
Raemey
Aspirant

It is possible to have the RBS50 connected by ethernet, but will have to have my tech person do it.  Too much of a challenge for a 71 year old lady with medical issues.  Thanks for the suggestion.  If that doesn't work I will order another satellite.  Is the RBS50 still a viable choice?  Or has it been replaced by another model?  And if so, can they be melded together to work?

Message 5 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@Raemey wrote:

Yes RBS50 is available and is a good option, another option for this purpose s the RBW30 (plug in Satellite) if you don't need the 1.7 Gbps backhaul and can be satisfied with the 867 Mbps backhaul.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between router base and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials.

@Raemey wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7