Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 satellite not connecting...

Glenvis
Star

Orbi RBR50 satellite not connecting...

I have an Orbi RBR50 with one satellite.  The base unit is on the second floor in my office.  The satellite is one floor down approximately 6 feet offset in my rec room (wood construction with sheet rock walls). I purchased this system to be used for my new Samsung QLED television in my rec room - approximately 12 feet from the satellite - same room.

Using the Orbi app on my iPhone and checking the Nework Map, then clicking on the satellite, I just noticed the TV is apparently not connecting to the satellite, but is using the signal from the main unit in my office. How does this happen? Wouldn't the TV connect to the closest  source? How do I force the TV to connect to the satellite that is in the same room?  Or, for that matter, do I want to?

I just find it unusual that the TV (or the satellite?) is doing this. Maybe this is normal, just thought I'd put it out there and see what the consensus is.

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi RBR50 satellite not connecting...

Don't use the app and stop worrying about what connects to what

does all devices work?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. You can turn down the power output of the RBR to see if this helps any. 

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Glenvis wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR50 with one satellite.  The base unit is on the second floor in my office.  The satellite is one floor down approximately 6 feet offset in my rec room (wood construction with sheet rock walls). I purchased this system to be used for my new Samsung QLED television in my rec room - approximately 12 feet from the satellite - same room.

Using the Orbi app on my iPhone and checking the Nework Map, then clicking on the satellite, I just noticed the TV is apparently not connecting to the satellite, but is using the signal from the main unit in my office. How does this happen? Wouldn't the TV connect to the closest  source? How do I force the TV to connect to the satellite that is in the same room?  Or, for that matter, do I want to?

I just find it unusual that the TV (or the satellite?) is doing this. Maybe this is normal, just thought I'd put it out there and see what the consensus is.

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

no copy paste allowed

Message 4 of 10
Glenvis
Star

VAJim - You are probably right, quit worrying about the details and get on with life.

To answer your question, yes, everytighing seems to be functioning correctly.

Thanks,

Glenvis

Message 5 of 10
Glenvis
Star

FURRYe38 - thanks for all the technical info, I'll hang on to this for future reference.

Glenvis

Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Glenvis wrote:

VAJim - You are probably right, quit worrying about the details and get on with life.

To answer your question, yes, everytighing seems to be functioning correctly.

Thanks,

Glenvis

i'm not trying to be anything but simple and logical.  i can tell you from experience, i gave up on chasing digital problems such as these years ago.  my motto (for the most part) if it works, i move on.  i couldn't tell you what device is connected to my orbi and the sats.  as long as it works, i'm fine.  even if someone were able to force a device to connect to the orbi or a particular sat, what was gained, really?

that's not to say that if it doesn't work as advertised, it'll drive me nuts.

thanks for being honest

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Glenvis wrote:

FURRYe38 - thanks for all the technical info, I'll hang on to this for future reference.

Glenvis

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

oh yeah....Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

You are most likely encountering a known race condition that cannot be corrected.  The WiFi of the router is enabled before the satellites for clients, so clients bind to the router. The satellite WiFi signal is enabled probably after the clients have already bound to the routers WiFi.  Devices like smart phones, tablets, and laptops expect to roam, so they will continue to look for a better signal and attach to the stronger signal when it sees one (for the same SSID).  However, IoT devices (smart TVs, bluray players, smart plugs, thermostats, printers, etc) are not expected to move around, so they will not search for a better signal until they loose connection with the original WiFi signal they connect to.

You might have luck reducing the power of the 2.4GHz signal so that the signal is too weak for these devices to connect to the router signal, so then they may connect to the satellites 2.4GHz signal.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7