Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 slowing speeds down

orbiuser13
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 slowing speeds down

Hi.  I have Comcast Internet with a brand-new Linksys CM3016 modem and a 250 Mbps package.  When I plug my desktop directly into the modem via Ethernet, a Speedtest shows speeds that actually approach ~300 Mbps.  However, when I plug the Orbi in to the modem, and my desktop into the Orbi, the speed slows to 90 Mbps.  Furthermore, my Wi-Fi speed - even when just a few feet away from my Orbi - is only ~30 Mbps.  

My Orbi is running Firmware V2.1.2.18.  I also have a satellite Orbi two floors down, but I haven't even bothered testing down there considering how slow these speeds are.

I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed considering how much I spent on these things.  Definitely not working as advertised.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

John

Message 1 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi RBR50 slowing speeds down

A wired speed limited to 90 Mbps usually indicates a problem with the cable or with the speed negotiation of the Ethernet ports.

Replace all cables between the desktop, the Orbi, and the modem, and test again. Make sure all your cables are cat 5e or better cables.

If that doesn't work, check the link speed on the desktop. It should show "1.0 Gbps"

https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/

If your desktop has WiFi, turn it off when testing wired speed.

If none of that works, try using a different LAN port on the Orbi for your desktop. It's possible the port is bad.

Message 2 of 6
orbiuser13
Aspirant

Thanks so much - switching the Ethernet cable between the modem and Orbi seems to have done it.  I appreciate the help!

Message 3 of 6
st_shaw
Master

Good to hear you got it working.

Message 4 of 6
orbiuser13
Aspirant

I appreciate it!

But of course now that I've gotten the main Orbi working, I'm having issues with the satellite.  I placed the satellite two floors away from my main Orbi (main one is in attic, satellite in kitchen) but pretty much directly on top of each other.  However, my Wi-Fi speeds even right next to my satellite are ~30 Mbps (tested across three devices).  I tried verifying that my devices were connecting to the satellite by unplugging it; when I did so, speeds dropped to ~12 Mbps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@orbiuser13 wrote:

I appreciate it!

But of course now that I've gotten the main Orbi working, I'm having issues with the satellite.  I placed the satellite two floors away from my main Orbi (main one is in attic, satellite in kitchen) but pretty much directly on top of each other.  However, my Wi-Fi speeds even right next to my satellite are ~30 Mbps (tested across three devices).  I tried verifying that my devices were connecting to the satellite by unplugging it; when I did so, speeds dropped to ~12 Mbps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Two floors apart might be too far.  Try putting them closer together.

In my 3-floor house, I have the Orbi router and satellite both on the middle floor.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7