Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 standby issue

siquenique
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 standby issue

Hello, my setup is a RBR50 and a RBS40V and an RBS40. The issue I am having is that if i setup the netgear router as router some of my devices when they enter in standby mode like my mobile phone than i don't get the content. For example i have some news notifications that i only get after i wake up the phone. Do you know if this is any setting?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 standby issue

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Wake and notifications are a feature of your phone, not the Orbi. You would need to check with the phones Mfr and support site on information with notifications. 

@siquenique wrote:

Hello, my setup is a RBR50 and a RBS40V and an RBS40. The issue I am having is that if i setup the netgear router as router some of my devices when they enter in standby mode like my mobile phone than i don't get the content. For example i have some news notifications that i only get after i wake up the phone. Do you know if this is any setting?

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

Notifications usually use specific outbound TCP ports, so if this functionality has issues then I’d start by troubleshooting routing in the network.
First thing to check here is if you have double router or double NAT situation.
Is your ISP modem a plain modem or does it have router/NAT/DCHP functionality? Please confirm.
Message 3 of 7
siquenique
Aspirant

Hi, my modem has Router/NAT/DHCP capability and in netgear i don't have the DHCP manually 

Message 4 of 7
siquenique
Aspirant

Hi,

FW 

RBR50

V2.2.1.210

RBS40V

V2.2.1.74

RBS40
V2.2.1.210

And i don't think the issue is with the phone or other devices like the car that has the same symptom since this only happens when i change the netgear router to router mode instead of AP mode. So as mentioned is operating in router mode.

The model of the operator modem is speedport w724v

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would try option #2 first and put the Orbi in router mode in to the modems DMZ or IP Passthrough if it has either of these options. Last resort would be to try AP mode with the ISP modem. 

Also you might update FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

@siquenique wrote:

Hi, my modem has Router/NAT/DHCP capability and in netgear i don't have the DHCP manually 

Message 6 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@siquenique wrote:

The model of the operator modem is speedport w724v

This is a router, so if you also have Orbi in Router Mode then you will have a double NAT situation that can cause issues like the ones you're seeing.

You have 2 options:

1. Use DMZ forwarding in the SpeedPort router (See page 79 in the manual) and keep Orbi in Router Mode.

2. Keep the SpeedPort router as the main router in the network and set Orbi to AP Mode.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7