Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50 stopped working overnight

bmoh
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50 stopped working overnight

Hello, 

I've done some searching and tried some common fixes but it hasnt helped with my orbi(rbr50) router.  I woke up yesterday with the internet to the house completely down.  My modem is a netgear c600, and confirmed it is not the issue by pluggin my laptop directly into it confirming internet is available.  I also installed an old router which was working as well.  

The power light is a solid green, with a flashing white light on top.  The satellite was a solid magenta as well.  

Things I have tried per searching these forums. 

A factory reset by holding down the reset button with a paper clip for up to 30 seconds, this does nothing. 

A factory reset by leaving the power cable in, unplugging it from the wall for 5 minutes, holding the reset button and plugging it back in.  When the unit turns on the power light is inittially green, then flashes red and never stops. 

I've tried the same method above, but letting go of the reset button when the light immediatly turns red.  This causes the power light to flash red for about 20 seconds and then goes to solid green.  At no time during any of these do I see an amber light, and the top ring light is constantly blinking white through these trials. 

The next thing I tried was to upload recent firmare via the TFPT instructions, which was successful.  However my issues were not fixed, as I again tried to factory reset per the 3 different methods above which would not work. 

If I open the orbi app and try a new install, the default network (Orbi14) only appears for a few seconds as a wifi network and then never appears again.  I have verified this with two phones and a laptop.   I have also tried connecting a new ethernet cable into its ethernet port, and tried to find 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com and neither produce a web page.  I did confirm the ethernet port is set to recieve DHCP automatically, and is not still on the TFTP settings. 

So after attempting all this I'm stumped and it appears this unit might have had some sort of hardware crash overnight.  This router was purchased and installed 8/14/19 and has been working since.  

If anyone has any other ideas I would be happy to try them.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50 stopped working overnight

So wtih all other devices disconnected from the RBR including disconnected from the modem, accept for 1 wired PC, pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release then wiat for the top LED to slowly pulsate WHITE then open a web browser to 192.168.1.1 doesn't result in seeing anything? 

Message 2 of 7
bmoh
Aspirant

Eveything is disconnected, the only thing on my table is the laptop, RBR50, and the ethernet cable.

I just tried again and have the same issues as above.  If the unit is powered up the reset button does nothing. I held the reset button down with the power off, then turned the unit on, and after 15 seconds the power light turns solid red and then starts to blink eventually returning to solid green.  The ring light is slowly pulsing white after doing this.   

I tried the above method for every port, and could not connect to 192.168.1.1

Message 3 of 7
vajim
Master

Pulsing white at the router should stop once all is well

the magenta at the sat is not good.   Perhaps too far away

any recent firmware updates?

have you tried a different browser?

Message 4 of 7
bmoh
Aspirant

I updated the firmware today after failing to factory reset to see if it would fix my issues.  Before that I had not updated firmware in quite some time.  I tried both chrome and edge browsers, but neither would find the router.  

A quick update as well, I went out and got a new RBK20W an hour ago to get my household back up and running.  This laptop can login to the new router no problem, and the RBS50 satellite is working with this kit as well.  

Message 5 of 7
vajim
Master

Sounds like your original Orbi router may be dead

not sure if your replacement router is compatible with the old sat 

others here can help

nice work.  

Message 6 of 7
Manme
Aspirant

I purchased my Orbi RBR50 in August 2019 also. I started having the same problem (it stops working for no reason until I reboot the main router). After doing a lot of research online it seems to me that there is no good solution and I am thinking (suspect) manufacturer does this on purpose to make people buy a new system. Probably best dump Netgear!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7