Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50

Signetone8
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50

Running
Can this unit be used directly
BT want to send a new hub.
I don’t use the hub 6 they already sent.
Can the orbi cope with this upgrade expected today.
I am runny at 50Mbps and no issues this new service is 100 to 130
It’s fibre to the home.
Thanks.
Message 1 of 7

Re: Orbi RBR50

What is your question all about? Using an Orbi with a new BT service?

@Signetone8 wrote:
Can this unit be used directly

What "unit" is that? The RBR50?

BT supplies variations of the HomeHub. Is that what you are talking about?

The HomeHub is a modem/router. Unfortunately, BT seems to make it impossible to use the HomeHub in modem only mode.

Many Orbi users get around this issue by using there Orbi router in wireless access point (AP) mode.

Others ditch the HomeHub and get their own modem-only devices. Guidance on that front might be best found on the BT user forum.

Message 2 of 7
Signetone8
Aspirant

Yes.
I have fibre to the house at 50Mbs
This supplied by BT.
I have a contract with BT for all services data and landline.
I have agreed an upgrade to 100-130Mbs
You are correct I don’t use my existing BT hub and have copied the ID and password to the ORBI RBR 50
To mske life easier in the past for all devices logged into the old copper and then fibre.
My question is
BT is insisting sending this new hub called
Smart Hub 2
I was hoping I can just continue with my set up
As it is with no BT hub in circuit.
If this is not the case. Then the service offered is not good for me as I have satellite too.
Thank you for your reply.

Brian
Message 3 of 7

@Signetone8 wrote:
You are correct I don’t use my existing BT hub and have copied the ID and password to the ORBI RBR 50

The Orbi needs a modem of some sort in front of it. Copying the  ID and password to the ORBI RBR 50 does not mean that there is no modem.

What do you have now between the Orbi and the stuff that comes into the house?

To mske life easier in the past for all devices logged into the old copper and then fibre.

What does that mean? If you have fibre to the house, where does this copper come from?

Most BT Internet services are DSL, with the final bit arriving at your home over a copper telephone line.

I was hoping I can just continue with my set up
As it is with no BT hub in circuit.

There has to be something between the Orbi and the Internet.

I am shooting in the dark here based on puzzling information from you – is there any BT service that does not have a modem of some sort? –  but BT's Fibre To The Home / Premises (FTTH/P) is a new technology that needs its own box at your end.  The Smart Hub 2 is a combination modem/router box that includes DSL and fibre modems.

Message 4 of 7
Signetone8
Aspirant

Yes the fibre is terminated in this box provided with the fibre.
There is no BT hub
Message 5 of 7

Without knowing what this anonymous "box" does, or what connects to those wires coming out of the bottom, it is anybody's guess if it will be compatible with the new service that BT plans to deliver to you.

It may be that BT is just sending you something that you can leave sitting in its shrink wrap, I have Homehubs like that.

Message 6 of 7
Signetone8
Aspirant

Thanks.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements