Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR50v2 Suddenly Dropping Internet

SCMrEason
Guide

Orbi RBR50v2 Suddenly Dropping Internet

Installed an Orbi RBR50v2 with one satellite and a Spectrum modem E31U2V1 in October 2020. Spectrum technician came and cleaned up wiring and unneeded splitters, resulting in a strong signal at each cable box and the modem. Network and internet worked without issue for 5.5 months.

A week ago, the internet connection began dropping several times per day, wifi was unaffected. Rebooting the Orbi would reconnect the internet, but a few hours later, it would drop again. Spectrum suggested swapping their modem for a new one, so I did. New model is an EU2251. Internet continued to drop.

Updated Orbi FW to V2.7.2.104. Internet continues to drop. Spectrum says everything looks good from their end.

Internet has dropped six times in the past 24 hours. Two times it reconnected without booting the Orbi. The other four times it did not but booting the Orbi reestablished the internet connection.

BTW, my internet speed (when it is connected) is 450+ Mbps download and 20+ Mbps upload.

I'm not a networking expert, but I am pretty knowledgeable about home networks, computers, and programming, but this is so frustrating.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR50v2 Suddenly Dropping Internet

There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted.  Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a horrible situation that started with the change in Daylight Saving Time that causes certain Orbi RBR50 routers to stop resolving Domain Names until they are restarted.  Netgear engineers have traced the problem to a coding error in the Traffic Meter feature. Looks like there is abolutely no chance Netgear will release a firmware fix before April, so the easiest solution is to go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom of the menu) and uncheck "Enable Traffic Meter" and Apply.

Message 2 of 6
SCMrEason
Guide

Thank you, CrimpOn, for your quick and well written response. I have made that change and will update later as to the results.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@SCMrEason wrote:

Thank you, CrimpOn, for your quick and well written response. I have made that change and will update later as to the results.

Please do.  It "worked for me", but that doesn't mean it works for everybody.

Message 4 of 6
SCMrEason
Guide

Thank you so much, @CrimpOn. Orbi has maintained internet connection for 36 consecutive hours. I hope everyone else experiencing this problem finds your solution.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 6
SCMrEason
Guide

@CrimpOn internet available 10 days and counting (with the exception of a 30 minute weather outage when even cable tv didn't work).

Thanks again for the help!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7