Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR50v2 instability

smcallister594
Aspirant

Orbi RBR50v2 instability

Hey everyone

over the last few days my Orbi has stopped giving access to the internet at least 6-7 times.

Initially it was just my dekstop PC and I assumed it was maybe just a faulty cable, so i swapped that out and it happened again. Thought it was maybe a duff port but it happened again with another port and another wired device on the LAN lost connection too. Lastly 3 times yesterday the wifi connection dropped out entirely.

I've reboot the device numerous times over the last few days to try and resolve these issues, Made sure i was on the latest firmware (although I've just noticed 2.7.0.70 was released yesterday) but I'm now having to bypass the orbi all together and plug my PC directly into my BT hub which kinda defeats the purpose of having the Orbi.

device details:

RBR50v2

Firmware: v2.6.1.40

RB50

Firmware: v2.6.1.40

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
vajim
Master

when did you install v2.6.1.40?

many complaints on v2.6.1.40

Message 2 of 12
smcallister594
Aspirant

Hey

I only installed that this morning, Haven't experienced any issues today yet.

Scott

Message 3 of 12
vajim
Master

Hey....I would keep an eye on it.

Were you having problems with your network before the FW update?

Message 4 of 12
smcallister594
Aspirant

Hey

Yeah the issues started a few days agos, well before I upgraded the firmware.

Message 5 of 12
vajim
Master

Hey...interesting

Some suggest a 'reset' to all may help.  Once complete, the Orbi and Sats should load the FW that NG pushes.  I would then leave it alone.  If the problem persists then perhaps you have some other problem, i.e. modem, cable, etc.  Lots of possibilities.

Message 6 of 12
smcallister594
Aspirant

Nothing has changed with my Orbi since I got it, other than the updates that are pushed down to it.

I swapped out all the cables for new cat6e as I now have gigabit fibre in my house and everything was fine for 2-3 weeks on the previous firmware version with the new cables etc.

Modem works fine because I'm currently plugged into it directly as well.

The issue resolves when the orbi and sat are reboot.

Message 7 of 12
vajim
Master

when you say pushed to you......is that where you used the app and clicked something?

how old is your modem?

Message 8 of 12
smcallister594
Aspirant

Yeah the update notifications you get through the orbi app every now and again. 

Modem is brand new (3 weeks old) as i needed a new one to support the fibre install.

Message 9 of 12
vajim
Master

@smcallister594 wrote:

Yeah the update notifications you get through the orbi app every now and again. 

Modem is brand new (3 weeks old) as i needed a new one to support the fibre install.

Those are NOT considered pushed.  Those are simply available, it's up to the user to perform a manual.  Some of these FWs are NOT exactly ready for prime time.

You may want to revert your FW back to the version you were on before all of this started.  Go to downloads.

After you get your network stablized, stop performing manual updates unless you want to live on the edge.

Message 10 of 12
smcallister594
Aspirant

Ah so you would assume that if a new update is available to install it was safe to install

going to rock the new FW for a few days and see how it goes.

thanks for your input

-

Message 11 of 12
vajim
Master

@smcallister594 wrote:

Ah so you would assume that if a new update is available to install it was safe to install

going to rock the new FW for a few days and see how it goes.

thanks for your input

-

yeah you would think so, but i've been living this NG FW fiasco for years and it's now pretty much evolved to a 'user be aware' situation.  This is after hords of folks complained about how real FW pushes fouled up their network and they wanted more control.

There are still some in this community who don't mind updating at every turn.  The stats here will tell you there there is a high number of foul ups as opposed to those who have no problems, but as we know that could simply be that people don't ususally post success stories.  It almost appears that those who jump on the update band wagon are actually joining the beta tester group.  Just an observation.

Good luck and stay safe.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7