Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS 50 satellite will not stay connected to router, even when in the same room.

jhasbrook
Follower

Orbi RBS 50 satellite will not stay connected to router, even when in the same room.

I got my Orbi system in January of 2017 and it has worked flawless up until this last week.  Now the satellite Orbi will not stay connected to the router for more than 1 minute, even when in the same room as the base router.  The LED turns to magneta and then will turn to blue for less than a minute.  Not sure how to fix this issue and really don't want to have to pay for tech support on a $400 dollar purchase that I made only 6 months ago.  Hopefully somebody also has had this issue and and can help me out.  

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 23
XavierC
Tutor

Re: Orbi RBS 50 satellite will not stay connected to router, even when in the same room.

Have the exact same issue (Like many people). Spent at least 2 hours with tech support with no solution that stay. No support here from Netgear... Terrible experience and especially bad that there is no communication from Netgear.... 

I'm done trying...

I' m going to try to return this to BestBuy or use my credit card warranty... 

Message 2 of 23
NickBurnsCCG
Guide

So far, I've had a terrible experience with this product.  To start, the remote device is RARELY connected, and when it is I don't think it's switching my devices.

Also, because I had to factory reset the device 5 times to finally see the remote, I had to frequesnty go back to factory SSID then change it back to what I wanted.  This last time I reset the SSID, the unexplainable started happening.  I had to reset the network setting on my android, I had re-enter the password even when hte SSID was the precise same name.  I had two Known Networks in my system with the exact same same (Windows 10).  I've never seen this behavior before.

My Nest won't connect.  The signal is bouncy as heck, It's just awful.

@netgear - Seriously, what is going on with this?  I've seen lots of forumes with this exact same problem.  I saw somewhere on your forum, a Netgear employee state to "give it 10-15 minutes".  This is unacceptable, and your technician was called out on it.  There was no reply or edit to the post.

You're hte most expensive home Mesh system by a decent amount.

Qualifications: Own and operate an IT consulting firm who services some of the largest enterprise networks in the country.

Message 3 of 23
tcorsair
Initiate

I'm having the exact same issue.  All was fine until earlier this week and now the Orbi RBS 50 Satellite won't even connect in the same room.  WTF??

Message 4 of 23
NickBurnsCCG
Guide

@NETGEAR_ - I'm calling you out on this one.  I simply rebooted my router last night and the satellite never returned.

It's now morning....

I see a pile of unanswered forum posts about this issue.  When are you going to

A - relpy to anyone that has reported this issue

B - repair the problem

I'm returning mine, regardless.  But you owe it to everyone else that is past their return policy, an answer to this.  You charge far more than anyone else, everyone else's software is far more modern than yours (you've had the same UI for like, 15 years - I was expecting something FAR nicer), and they're replying to CUSTOMERS.  It's not like we're just random people bothering you here.

And based on other posts, I wouldn't recommend anyone call in at this point.  It will be a waste of 4 hours, until you guys actually have a solution.

~Nick

Message 5 of 23
GaryInEdmond
Guide

I was having the same issue with the new firmware update.

The problem turned out to be that the router had updated to the new firmware (V1.12.0.18) but the satellite had not.

I had to log directly into the satellite and update to the new firmware manually and everything worked fine after that.

The login to the satellite will be something like 192.168.1.5 with the last number being variable.  Mine has changed back and forth between 5 and 6 so I knew to use that number but it will very possibly be different in your situation.

When I had manually updated my satellites firmware, it went back to working flawlessly.  I wouldn't hesitate to call tech support if you have trouble updating your satellite.  I've had my orbi since they first came out and this is the first time the automatic update had problems.

Message 6 of 23
NickBurnsCCG
Guide

@GaryInEdmond wrote:

I was having the same issue with the new firmware update.

The problem turned out to be that the router had updated to the new firmware (V1.12.0.18) but the satellite had not.

I had to log directly into the satellite and update to the new firmware manually and everything worked fine after that.

The login to the satellite will be something like 192.168.1.5 with the last number being variable.  Mine has changed back and forth between 5 and 6 so I knew to use that number but it will very possibly be different in your situation.

When I had manually updated my satellites firmware, it went back to working flawlessly.  I wouldn't hesitate to call tech support if you have trouble updating your satellite.  I've had my orbi since they first came out and this is the first time the automatic update had problems.

See, I have done that already.  Updating firmware is ALWAYS the first thing I do.

I updated the router to 1.12.0.18.  The satellite wouldn't reconnect.  I downgraded the router back to the original firmware because I couldn't see the remote - it wasn't synced so it wasn't on the network.  I scanned the heck out of my network for it.

After downgrading, the remote came back online.  I upgraded the remote first, then the router.  Everything got screwed up again.  I flashed back to facory, firmware remained at the latest release.  Everything connected after about 4 hours.

Then I rebooted the router, last night in fact.  STILL hasn't reconnected.  I tried hitting the sync button on both devices - nothing.  Close, somewhat close, far away - doesn't matter.  It will NOT connect to the remote.

Honestly, there are way too many posts about the same issue, without solutions from @NetgearSupport_

@GaryInEdmond - I know it worked for you, and I'm stoked for you.  But too many of us are having the same issue.  And tier 1 is going to annoy the bejesus out of me before they will even consider sending me to 2 or 3.  At the risk of sounding braggish, I am a highly skilled network engineer.  I know what is going on with this, and I've even run my scan tools on the remote and the base.  I see the signals, I see the packets coming across, and quite frankly the multicast solution being used to synchronize these devices is a bad decision on Netgear's part.  There are like, 1000 ways to do it better.

I did buy this to test for some of my smaller clients.  I have my answer.

~Nick

Message 7 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

Sometimes with the latest firmware you may need to factory reset the satellite and then bring them close to the main router and resync them then put them back in the area you need the coverage.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 23
NickBurnsCCG
Guide

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello everyone

Sometimes with the latest firmware you may need to factory reset the satellite and then bring them close to the main router and resync them then put them back in the area you need the coverage.

DarrenM

Darren - Thank you for your reply.  This procedure does not work.  I did this procedure about 15 times (not kidding).  Every time power was lost to either the router or the satellite, they will NOT reconnect.  And mind you I gave it overnight opportunities to reconnect.

The reality is, this product is not ready for production.  I have returned mine and went with another solution that had me up and running in less than 10 minutes - from taking the plastic off the box, to fully configured and placed satellites.  I spent 5 days (even took a day off work!) to try to make it happen with the Orbi. 

I'll be kind and not share my new solution on your message boards - that's a bit unfair.  But I will say, it took a long time to get a reply on this thread from someone at Netgear, and the other threads are still open with no solution as I expect this one to be.

It's not the users this time, guys.  I'm an IT consultant - I understand user error.  This is NOT the case here.  I build wireless networks for colleges and areanas and other large scale deployments.  I was really hoping to have a great solution for my smaller clients with this, but it's just not ready for that.  Anything more than 5 minutes to reconnect remotes is unacceptable.

Happy to help you solve the problem if you want, just reach out and let me know how I can help you fix this issue.  But development will need to be involved.

Edit: Please forgive my spelling.  I fix computers, definitely not an english major.  🙂

~Nick from Matchless IT

Message 9 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Nickburns

Yes if you are willing to work with us send me a PM with your name, email and phone number and I will get you in contact with support. And Anyone else that is willing to work with support on this issue.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 10 of 23
XavierC
Tutor

Any progress on this issue ? 

Do you still need help ? 

Message 11 of 23
Dustin278
Apprentice

@jhasbrook wrote:

I got my Orbi system in January of 2017 and it has worked flawless up until this last week.  Now the satellite Orbi will not stay connected to the router for more than 1 minute, even when in the same room as the base router.  The LED turns to magneta and then will turn to blue for less than a minute.  Not sure how to fix this issue and really don't want to have to pay for tech support on a $400 dollar purchase that I made only 6 months ago.  Hopefully somebody also has had this issue and and can help me out.  

I am now having the same issue - won't stay connected for over a minute (stays Blue) then goes to Magenta.. I can see the 2nd satellite via my Orbi app but not when logged into my router.. All have same firmware

Message 12 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you tried to reset the satellite and resync also make sure its on the same firmware as the router. If that has not worked I would suggest contacting support.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 13 of 23
XavierC
Tutor

Been there, done that. Tech support doesn't help, it just reconnect your satellite before loosing it again....

What is needed is an acknowledgement and FW fix from netgear. (or at least a date for it)....

Message 14 of 23
Dustin278
Apprentice

@DarrenM wrote:

If you tried to reset the satellite and resync also make sure its on the same firmware as the router. If that has not worked I would suggest contacting support.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

I have been working with Level 2 and they gave me the newest firmware V2.0.0.64 last night and fixed my problem. I think it was a bug because I was using a special character in my password..

Message 15 of 23
Hanz_L
Aspirant

Exact same issues here, even after clearing NVRAM / performing factory reset.

Already sent a PM to DarrenM, requested beta firmware...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 16 of 23
NickBurnsCCG
Guide

Gang - this has still not been resolved.  It's been going on for months now.  Just move on to another system - this isn't going to get fixed.  And if it does, it will be the "new model, quick come out and buy this!" and you'll just have to re-purchase anyway.

If they don't release a new model, you can expect this product to die off from Netgear.  THere is already MINIMAL attention on it, so they already don't care enough about this product for it to have a long lifespan.

I said in a previous post that I wasn't going to mention the new system I switched to, out of courtesy to Netgear.  I also offered to help them solve the issue as I do own 3 different types of technology firms.  I offered this so I could help others who purchased this device and are already past their return timeline.  They replied and said they would love for me to help - please go buy another set and we will work with you.  NOPE!  If you want my help on this, for real, send me the product and I'll test and help source the root of the issue.  Nothing since then.

Because they continue to REFUSE repairs on this issue (or refuse to acknowledge that it's an actual issue and think reboots and factory flashing is a working solution - which it doesn't), I'm going to break that statement and tell you what I did.

I switched to Eero Wireless Mesh system.  If I reboot a satellite, it's connected within SECONDS after booting back up.  Total time for a reboot and back connected to the network - under 20 seconds total, from unpluging to internet.

The speeds are as if I was hardlined into the router, in regards to internet speeds (and I have FiOS).  The connectivity is flawless; I have full-time devices on wifi like wifi IR blasters and the like, and I have checked logs and they do NOT disconnect!  The reach of the wireless antennas is MUCH farther than Orbi. 

It can be a router, or it can be just a wireless mesh - done with a single tap on the app.

Last but not least, it's less expensive.

Sorry Netgear, but you guys did this to yourselves.  It's NOT ok to leave your customers just hanging like this.   And it's a REALLY bad issue - renders the entire system as failed.  This problem is ALL OVER your own forums, and it's actively ignored by your staff.  Many of the respones are almost identical across multiple posts about the same issue, leading me to believe you have your canned reply to calm everyone, you use it then do nothing to solve the problem.

So I will help your customers fix their issie.  Orbi Customers - Switch to something else like Eero or Uniquity's version of this.

Not sure why no one from Netgear can simple acknolwedge the issue, and get it on the road map.  It's baffling to me and leads me to beleive that what I said before about them fixing this in hardware release 2, forcing you to buy the system again, is what is going to happen.

Netgear, if it's bad hardware - recall it.  If you can't fix the issue, just say it.  Stop PRETENDING to try to fix it, with reboots.  Stop pacifying everyone while you guys flounder on the issue.  Just be honest with everyone, for crying out loud!

Otherwise, we can always just open a class action and get everyone's money refunded.  If any thread followers are interested in a class action, PM me to talk.  It doesn't take many of us to get one going.  All this is assuming they don't offer to refund your money for this non-functional, extremely expensive (for home-quality gear) system.  But you all should get your money refunded - this is NOT OK.

~Nick 

Message 17 of 23
Hanz_L
Aspirant

Until so far (one week) nobody at Netgear even bothered to respond to my PM, which was sent at their own request. 

In the meantime, another kind forum member sent me a link to beta firmware, which I installed, cleared NVRAM, performed the factory reset dance on both router and satellite... and still suffering ongoing issues with client and even satellite connectivity.

Message 18 of 23
Bawa
Tutor

I had same problem when I did upgrade on my new Orbi Wifi system. I did firmware upgrade from 1.11.x to latest firmware which is v2.0.0.74. This screwed up my Wifi network stability.

I figured out that firmware v1.11.x is giving very stable with few fault, but at least it is running Wifi connection very stable.

Only problem I have now is that I cannot see my satellite is connected or not in the home page of the router. But it is connected and synced! Since I´m connected to it in the basement and the wired net is working too. It just no appearing on the Routers homepage.

I think firmware version 1.11.x on both router and satellite are working good. Looking forward that Netgear can give us a stable firmware version with lots of new functions without error :-:manhappy 

Bawa

Message 19 of 23
Lilpepo
Aspirant

I have an Orbi sayellite on the second floor. For a few weeks no WiFi upstairs. Call to support but no resolution. I noticed during 2nd call that I had WiFi when satellite was off. MY resolution...Satellite is blocking the WiFi. Turn it off and waalaaa!!! You have WiFi! At least I do. ☺️

Message 20 of 23
bhart0531
Star

I went through the same process with support to back up to the older version.  Still doesn’t work!

Message 21 of 23
bhart0531
Star

I’ve already worked with support for hours and no resolution.  I can’t afford to deal with a non working system for my business, so had to go another direction.

How do we get compensated for a system that no longer works and is past return policy?

Message 22 of 23
Spoilage
Aspirant

Have the same damn problem as everyone else... satellite that once worked now will not connect. Have a solid magenta light. Sucks that Netgear does not care!

Eero, here I come!!
Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7