Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS50 can't reset

novs1985
Tutor

Orbi RBS50 can't reset

After the latest firmware upgrade, 2.5.1.16, i noticed one of my satelites was disconnected.  I tried to resync, nothing, i then tried to reset via paperclip, nothing.  The power light is on green, but no light glowing from the top.  After reset etc.  

Of course I am out of warranty, everything was working just fine until the firmware.  

Any advice?  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

WIth all cables disconnected from the RBS. Pressing the reset button on top then release doesn't how a blinking WHITE led on top? 

Swap power adapters to see if this changes anything. 

If nothing seems to help, you might want to make contact with NG support to see about what options are available. 

Message 2 of 15
novs1985
Tutor

All wires are disconnected except the power code. No lights glowing on top. I can try the power adapter swap but it’s getting power. The light on the back where power adapter goes is glowing a light green I think.
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If nothing seems to help, you might want to make contact with NG support to see about what options are available. 

Message 4 of 15
M0381U5
Guide

Yep, Same problem.

Updated the Firmware yesterday.

Today satellite device is not recognised as being connected.

Power cycled, using switch and unplugging for about 10 mins. didn't work.

Reset as per instructions (satellite does not get solid white led light ring), Run both Orbi app 'add satellite' and PC browser 'add sattelite', neither Worked.

Just over 6 month old.

Apparenlty Netgear doesnt provide support after 90 days...WTF?

No answer from support, even when I select to subscribe to their extortionary Gear Head support.

I have extensive ARLO (formally netgear) security camera system that now doesnt work as I dont have mesh connectivity.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure both RBR and RBS FW was updated. 

Was FW updated thru the RBR auto update feature, Orbi app or did you manually download and apply the FW files? 

Be sure to bring the RBS near the RBR, same room, 6-10 feet away and press the sync button on the RBS then RBR to see if it will sync properly. 

@Blanca_O 

@M0381U5 wrote:

Yep, Same problem.

Updated the Firmware yesterday.

Today satellite device is not recognised as being connected.

Power cycled, using switch and unplugging for about 10 mins. didn't work.

Reset as per instructions (satellite does not get solid white led light ring), Run both Orbi app 'add satellite' and PC browser 'add sattelite', neither Worked.

Just over 6 month old.

Apparenlty Netgear doesnt provide support after 90 days...WTF?

No answer from support, even when I select to subscribe to their extortionary Gear Head support.

I have extensive ARLO (formally netgear) security camera system that now doesnt work as I dont have mesh connectivity.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

Message 6 of 15
novs1985
Tutor

I updated it through the browser.  My RBR and other RBS is updated.  I tried the power supply and bringing it next to the RBR.  It appears to be unresponsive.  

I guess i can call netgear, i doubt they will give me the time of day since i am out of warranty. 

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact the forum moderator to see what your options are. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 15
novs1985
Tutor

@Forum_Moderator Any suggestions, i can't even find the phone number for support.  

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 15
M0381U5
Guide

Managed to get intouch with Netgear.

Support;

Hold in Reset with pin for 30 secs

Unplug power while still holding in pin for 5 secs

Then plug power back in again while still holding in pin for an further 30 seconds

Power button light will flicker red for a sec.

remove pin and begin pairing process again.

This didnt work for me and satellite was found to be faulty

Received RMA

Took RMA to retailer and fortunately the replaced immediately.

Good luck.

Message 11 of 15
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Even though Netgears tech support is only 90 days, your hardware has a 1 year warranty.  Since you stated it is 6 months old, contact them for an RMA since their firmware update bricked the hardware.  This issue unfortunately is all too common with NG lately, they have good hardware but lousy firmware.

Message 12 of 15
novs1985
Tutor

It is more than 1 year old.  I will call netgear.  I think I am SOL.  It's complete garabage if they dont do something. 

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact a forum moderator as well.

@Blanca_O 

Message 14 of 15
Mstrbig
Master

I had a similar issue. One of mine out of the box took over 1 minute to turn amber. Take a paper clip, make sure the green light is on next to power button. Hold the reset button in until the green light turns amber. Let go, when it turns amber. If it is not defective, it should flash white on the top.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7