Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router RBR50

vzockun
Initiate

Orbi Router RBR50

Hello,

Using Orbilogin.com I can see the main router +  2 satellites and all the devices connected to my wifi, but for some reason a few devices (like smart speaker, printer, computer, ...) instead of connecting to closer source of internet signal, it decides to connect to the main router or some far away satellite.

Does anyone know how to set that the device X should be connected to the Y.

This way I could force my desktop to connect to satellite that is next to it and not the main router that is 1 floor above.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
vajim
Master
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Router RBR50

@vzockun wrote:

This way I could force my desktop to connect to satellite that is next to it and not the main router that is 1 floor above.

I use an ethernet cable to connect my desktop computer to the Orbi.  Or, does "next to it" mean across the room where pulling a cable would be an eyesore?"

Message 3 of 5
vzockun
Initiate

Hello @CrimpOn , much obliged!

Yes, I have what you suggested: one desktop is connected by cable from RBR. But other devices are across the room so cable (printer, Alexa). I did try, as suggested, disconnect the RBR to force devices to connect to RBS, but almost as soon as I turn the RBR on, it redirects the devices. 

What I did that worked well, I used 2 old TPLink Wifi Extender (RE 450 & 650) as Access Points and create a new wifi - the only one visible to some devices (the ones that do not move: Alexas, Printers, Smart TVs, NOW TV). I guess this is the best solution so far.

@vajim Thanks for the info. I'm new to this Forum World and sometimes making the simple question seems to be the answer (instead of my multi chapter story). Thanks again

Message 4 of 5
RickSegal
Aspirant

@CrimpOn ,

Thanks very much for the blindingly obvious.  Why Netgear can't do a simple matrix that lays out these options, I'll never know.

This is has made my life 1000% simpler. Printers work, etc.  All good -n- the hood.  One ethernet cable.  Wow.

Rick

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7