Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet

bjbatlanta
Initiate

Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet

Is it possible to connect the Orbi Satellite via an Ethernet connection so that it has a stronger signal to broadcast?  My home is wired for ethernet and I'd prefer to take advantage of that fact than rely on the base and satellite communicating wirelessly through walls and floors.  

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions

@W2HX2 wrote:

Dear peteytesting 

I have seen you post about using another AP solution if ethernet wiring is available. I would be very interested in the names/models of some simple wireless access point products that will allow me to share the SSID which is really what I am looking for. I believe my house could easily be covered with three WAPs, the locations of which all have wired ethernet. So I am really just looking for a better access point solution. One that will allow shared SSID and also coordinated roaming from one to the other.

thanks

hi

the ubiquiti unifi ap's are the goto option the unifi ac lite is the best value for money

btw no matter what you get you can just name all the ssid the same and passphrase you just use different channels

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 21

All Replies
itGeeks
Apprentice

+1, Eithernet backhaul needs to be an option. Both Eero and Luma allow this.

Message 2 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello bjbatlanta 

Right now no you can not connect them via Ethernet.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 21
tahlsr
Initiate

Hi Darren,

Nice to see Netgear getting in this game too.

Just wanted to chime in and state that I am also a potential customer who would only buy this sytem if it had the feature of hard wiring the router to the satellites.  I would think for people like myself this would only make the system more stable and faster in many scenarios.  Since Eero (and likely some others) do (or will do) this, I think it's definitely a feature I 'require' when choosing a system.

Message 4 of 21
itGeeks
Apprentice

I agree with you 100%, Both Eero and Luma allow Eithernet backhaul and Orbi should also, Netgear says we don't need it becouse of the 3rd dedicated radio that provides the wireless mesh but I respectfully disagree. Wireless will never be better then wired in any situation and what about those of us with detached garages or barns that want to install WiFi? The good news is the satelite has Eithernet ports so I would not think it shoud be a problem to add it threw firmware.

Netgear please add Eithernet backhaul ASAP, It will be a better product and make your customers happy when you do.

Message 5 of 21
bjbatlanta
Initiate

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, it isn't the answer I was hoping to hear.  The fact that I have to rely on wireless connection of the satelites to the base station makes this a deal breaker for me.  I want a fast and stable network and the reliance on wireless doesn't guarantee that for me.  I'll keep an eye out for future enhancements.

Billy

Message 6 of 21
tahlsr
Initiate

I'm not sure if this is inappropriate thread crapping on a Netgear site but if anyone else has product ideas that do have wired 'satelites' please chime in.

I was looking at the Ubiquiti Amplifi new product and those satelites are wireless only as well.  I normally love Ubiquiti products but will have to pass on those too.

Message 7 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

This is a great Idea to be added to the Orbi we have a Idea exchange board where you can post your ideas on what to add or change to our products. Also the more up votes the idea gets by the community the more the engineers know this is a feature people want to see. I have linked the Idea Exchange board below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

DarrenM

Message 8 of 21
seany187
Star

Has anyone created an idea for this yet on Netgear's site? I can't find it. I REALLY want this feature.

Message 9 of 21
dmystic1
Apprentice

I want another satellite, wonder when they will be available?
Message 10 of 21
itGeeks
Apprentice

Can we please get an update on Eithernet backhaul? Is this even posible with the curent hardware only making a change with firmware? This missing feature is a big miss for Netgear and mybe the very reason I may have no choice but to use either Eero or Luma. Please get this added ASAP, I have 5 locations that need a system like this but without Eithernet backhaul this is a no go.

Message 11 of 21
SunnysGlimpse
Initiate

I also have the same question as itGeeks -- can the ethernet backhaul support could be added in the future via a firmware update? If not, then that will probably eliminate me trying the Orbi.

I also have an ethernet connection that goes from the basement to upstairs, through concrete floors and the opposite side of the house, so it would make much more sense for the most throughput for the sattelite to use ethernet instead of wireless so it can then broadcast the equivalent strong signal upstairs that the downstairs will have.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 21

if you have structured cabling why would you bother with the orbi in the first place as a good router and some wireless AC AP's is by far your best course of action and prob cheaper anyway

Message 13 of 21
SunnysGlimpse
Initiate

That may be the best answer. However, when first looking, it seems difficult to find 4x4 AC access points with the throughput and ethernet backhaul support in a total price package of the Orbi (if it had backhaul support like eero). With other wireless AP, like the Asus AC68U, do they all run the same SSID as the router or do you have to manually change connection? Unfortunately, I was not able to determine whether the Asus AC68U has ethernet backhaul support either.

I currently have a Asus AC87U with 300 MB Internet speed.

Message 14 of 21
W2HX2
Aspirant

Dear peteytesting 

I have seen you post about using another AP solution if ethernet wiring is available. I would be very interested in the names/models of some simple wireless access point products that will allow me to share the SSID which is really what I am looking for. I believe my house could easily be covered with three WAPs, the locations of which all have wired ethernet. So I am really just looking for a better access point solution. One that will allow shared SSID and also coordinated roaming from one to the other.

thanks

Message 15 of 21

@W2HX2 wrote:

Dear peteytesting 

thanks

hi

the ubiquiti unifi ap's are the goto option the unifi ac lite is the best value for money

btw no matter what you get you can just name all the ssid the same and passphrase you just use different channels

Message 16 of 21
W2HX2
Aspirant

thank you!

Message 17 of 21
Hirrdgoon
Apprentice

Well, buying items over the years lots of people are left with wired and wireless clients. It makes more sense if orbi supported both wired and wireless at full speed. Unfortunately they dropped a large ball when it came to wired side of things. Seriously, why even bother with the 3-4 Ethernet ports on the back if wired backhaul does not work? That's like a half assed solution to a problem they don't want to deal with.

If it had wired backhaul, it would satisfy a larger market of users.
Message 18 of 21
st_shaw
Master

If you understand how Orib works it is not half-assed at all.

The value of Orbi is based on the fact you do not need to connect the Router and Satellite using a wire.  That's because if you could easily run a wire, there are cheaper and better solutions than Orbi.  If you could run a wire, you'd just plug your wired devices into a switch!!

Orbi does not ignore people with wired clients. If you have wired clients, you can still use them by plugging them into the Router or Satellite. Clients plugged into the Satellite will have a 1733 Mbps wireless link back to the router.

Sure, the throughput of the 1733 Mbs wireless backhaul is not as fast as wired Gigabit Ethernet, but you don't need to run a wire back to the router, which could be difficult or expensive! That's a good tradeoff.

All that said, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Orbi to support wired backhaul. There's just no reason (I can think of anyway) to buy Orbi for that purpose.

Message 19 of 21
JMU1998
Luminary

Please request it here there is a separate idea request those who want this feature can request here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Netgear-Orbi-Wired-Sattelite/idi-p/1145210

Message 20 of 21
gmaghera
Tutor

Some of the structured cabling setups (designed by some builders) are insufficient.  For example, I have structured cabling to some parts of the house, except for the one room that I use as an office, and which happens to be a WiFi deadspot.  If I were to design the sructured wiring, each room would have its own drop or two.  That would be an example of why someone would want to use WiFi mesh with some satellites using a wired connection.  It's atypical to most structured cabling setups, hopefully.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 40 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7