Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite RBS50v2 keeps dropping out.

DozzaF
Tutor

Orbi Satellite RBS50v2 keeps dropping out.

I Purchased my Orbi system on the 27th Nov 2020.  RBK50 with 1 satellite included. (so now out of warranty as I did not purchase the 'additional warenty')

Due to covid my wife has been working form home since May 2020, her work computer set up is quite 'old school'. Large tower unit which runs a 3 (mixed) screen set up.  She also uses a voip phone (so that when a client calls, its as if she is in the office). This all plugged into a TALKTALK router with wires running around the living room and dinning room. Although unsightly, it all worked.

Well fast forward 6 months and shes still working from home.

This set up was on the living room table, but needed too be moved for Xmas, as the table was required for dinner.

Decided to relocate the wife's pc set up to the utility room, since her PC does not have wireless capabilities and she needs to plug a voip phone in I didn't want to run wires all over the house. So decided that the Orbi RBK50 was the best option.

So plugged everything in and all was working fine for a couple of months. After this she started to see a few drop outs, her work VPN would disconnect and loss of Internet access.

At this time I'd also noticed that my xbox would have high latency with was in an upstairs bedroom, so I purchased an additional satellite from ebay so that I could hard wire in upstairs. This totally fixed the xbox latency.

I kind of disbelieved her when she said she'd been experiencing drop outs, and put it down to 'just one of those things'

So I decided to swap the satellites around to see for myself. 

Sure enough, the drop outs were now happening on the xbox which was hard wired (very frustrating for me playing Battlefield 5, and my son on Fortnite and Roblox) there is also a goggle home (7inch display) that is in the same room as the xbox but obviously connected wirelessly. This would also drop Internet connection at the same time as the (hard wired) xbox. All connections would be fixed within 30 seconds or so, but the damage was already done.

I have tried most obvious fixes, these include.

Factory resting the problem satellite.

Removing problem satellite from network (only possible in a browser) and reinstalling as a new satellite to the network.

Ensuring all firmware is up to date.

Swapping power supplies over between satellites 

Made sure WiFi has been disabled from TALKTALK router, which it wasn't but this has made no difference.

I have now moved the problem router around about 6 times now, so either in the downstairs utility room or the upstairs bedroom.

Drop outs are NEVER a problem with the additional satellite I purchased from ebay. They simply never happen.

This leads me to suspect that my original satellite is faulty.

I have probably spent close to 20 hours reading and researching this problem now. 

This set up was not a small investment and I feel let down with this product, but understand problems do happen.

I can see many other people have experienced similar problems, many still without a fix.

If any one has any other suggestions them I'm more than happy to try out.

But due to the fact that only 1 satellite, ever cause's a problem. I will be looking to get this unit swapped out for a new one.

Whilst working, the system is great, but the drop outs are just unacceptable.

Kind Regards

DozzaF

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
vajim
Master

what firmware is all of your orbi devices on?

Message 2 of 12
DozzaF
Tutor

HI

All devices are running v2.7.2.104

Cheers

Dozza

Message 3 of 12
vajim
Master

@DozzaF wrote:

HI

All devices are running v2.7.2.104

Cheers

Dozza

Please do a search for Firmware  v2.7.2.104. 

Lots of problems being reported.  If I say anything I get slapped around.

Or.....you stay with your original post here and wait for others to flood you with 100's of questions attempting to fix a fouled firmware version.

Your choice....enjo

Message 4 of 12
DozzaF
Tutor

It Is wierd that it only affects the one satellite, which of course is why I'll be swapping the unit for a new one. (its coming tomorrow)

Cheers 

Dozza

Message 5 of 12
vajim
Master

@DozzaF wrote:

It Is wierd that it only affects the one satellite, which of course is why I'll be swapping the unit for a new one. (its coming tomorrow)

Cheers 

Dozza

how is it that you point to that one sat?

are you using ethernet to connect to it?

Message 6 of 12
DozzaF
Tutor

only 1 sat ever drops out. Always the same sat

Only the router is connected via ethenet

Cheers

Dozza

Message 7 of 12
vajim
Master

if you have multiple sats and are using wifi how do determine which sat is dropping?

Message 8 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@DozzaF wrote:

Please report what happens with the new satellite.

Wife is amazingly patient.  I would have commandeered that dining room table long ago.

Message 9 of 12
DozzaF
Tutor

If I use a ethernet cable to hard wire the xbox with the suppected sat, it chucks me out of the game. and disconnects from the google home.

If I then bring that sat downstairs and plug my wifes PC in via ethenet, it will chuck her of her VPN.

I took the known good sat upstairs all week end and no drops out on xbox for 2 days.

Today by lunchtime, (I left the dodgy sat downstairs with my wifes PC) my wife had been kicked off her VPN 3 times.

She connected the 'good' one after this and no other drop outs for the rest of the day.

Cheers

Dozza

Message 10 of 12
DozzaF
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

@DozzaF wrote:

Please report what happens with the new satellite.

Wife is amazingly patient.  I would have commandeered that dining room table long ago.

LOL.

Will report back, for sure.

Message 11 of 12
DozzaF
Tutor

OK, so an update as promised.

So I connected a new satellite to my network on Wednesday 17th (March)

I noticed the FW was an old version, but I decided not to update for now.

(I know my network now has different FW versions running together, so probably not ideal)

My 8 year old reported no drop outs for the next 2 nights.

But............

On Thursday night whilst I was gaming, I was chucked out the game (xbox wired to satellite) my son who was on his Ipad was sitting behind me was also disconnected.

I immediately looked at the satellite it was flashing blue. I checked the FW, using the APP and noticed it had auto updated to the newest version. 

But since that 1 drop out, which I believe to be a reboot after the FW update. There have been no other drop outs.

I'd like to keep using for the next 3 weeks (kids are on holiday for 2 weeks, so xbox will take a hammering) with out any drop outs before I can say this is fixed.

I'll keep you posted

Cheers

DozzaF

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7