Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite connects to Router on 2.4G

rampi
Guide

Orbi Satellite connects to Router on 2.4G

Hi,

I just setup my system a few days ago. It is working fine. Setup was a breeze and coverage is good. 

I see that that the satellite is connected to the router on the 2.4G. Is that expected?

I was reading somewhere that the satellite connected to router on a dedicated 5G channel.

Router Firmware Version
V2.0.0.74

The other devices are connected to the router on 5G channel.

It is working fine. Just wanted to confirm that it is okay for satellite to connect to the router on 2.4G.

Thanks,

Rampi

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi Satellite connects to Router on 2.4G

Yes, the satellite and router units are connected on both 2.4GHz. and 5GHz.

Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

If the satellite connects on 2.4 GHz, that generaly indicates the 5 GHz signal is too poor to connect to the router.  I would suggest relocating the Orbi router and/or satellite so they are closer together or have fewer walls between them.

Message 3 of 6
rampi
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try out what's possible.

The satellite connecting to the router on 2.4G does not seem to be affecting performance though - atleast for the usage at home.

Message 4 of 6
RogerSC
Virtuoso

When I look at my wireless with Wi-Fi Analyzer, I always see an unlabeled SSID on both 2.4GHz. and 5GHz. And yes, I get full speed despite that. Don’t really know how the Orbi divides its backhaul traffic between 2.4 and 5GHz., just that it has an available network on both bands. Works really well, totally stable.

Message 5 of 6
zap1
Tutor

@rampi wrote:

Hi,

I just setup my system a few days ago. It is working fine. Setup was a breeze and coverage is good. 

I see that that the satellite is connected to the router on the 2.4G. Is that expected?

I was reading somewhere that the satellite connected to router on a dedicated 5G channel.

Router Firmware Version
V2.0.0.74

The other devices are connected to the router on 5G channel.

It is working fine. Just wanted to confirm that it is okay for satellite to connect to the router on 2.4G.

Thanks,

Rampi

FYI,...I just setup my RBR50 & RBS50 system and I see (on ATTACHED DEVICES page on the Router) the Satellite & Router are connected on 5Ghz channel

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7