Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi System Functionality with GoGoGate2

almandr
Follower

Orbi System Functionality with GoGoGate2

I have an Orbi network that I have been using very successfully for several months. I received a GoGoGate2 to make my garage door smart for Christmas. While attempting to install this device I am conjsistently having problems connecting the Gogogate2 to my home network. What I understand from the Gogogate side is that it needs a 2.4ghz WIFI signal to pair with. I know the Orbi broadcast a 2.4 along to with two 5ghz signals. The techsupport with Gogogate is asking that I create a separate SSID with a 2..4ghz dedicated signal to clear up my connection issues. 2 real questions here: 1. Do you have a gogogate2 for your garage that you pair up with an Orbi? 2. Do you know if I can create a separate SSID with 2.4ghz only? It seems like I could just remove the 5g from my guest network but I cant figure out how?! -a non techy person
Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi System Functionality with GoGoGate2

Orbi does not officially allow to separate out the networks but members in the community have shown a work around on how to do this.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
bobpar1
Aspirant

I had the exact same issue and was never able to get the Gogogate 2 to connect to the Orbi router. I tried to turn off the satelite so that it would force a 2.4GHz connection but it did not resolve the issue. I eventually gave up and turned on my Comcast Wifi to get it to connect and it worked fine. I would much rather use the Orbi to connect and turn off the Comcast wifi router so that it does not interfere with Orbi but until there is a way to connect the Gogogate 2 to the Orbi router I will have to live with this workaround. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Netgear needs to find a way to provide connectivity to IOT devices that require 2.4GHz with Orbi (and not force users to hack a solution).

Message 3 of 8
st_shaw
Master

There's a post on how to set separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  It's an active thread and is still showing on page 1 of this forum.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 4 of 8
bobpar1
Aspirant

While I am sure I could play around with this and make this hack work I would rather not seperate out the 2 networks as it limits the functionality of Orbi. One of the good things Orbi does is switch from 5GHz to 2.4GHz when the wifi signal gets weak. Not sure why the wifi connectivity on this particular device (Gogogate 2) is having issues as I have several other IOT devices (lights, switches and Nest) that connect fine through the 2.4GHz network. Clearly it is confused by the single SSID for some reason.

Message 5 of 8
st_shaw
Master

wrote:

While I am sure I could play around with this and make this hack work I would rather not seperate out the 2 networks as it limits the functionality of Orbi. One of the good things Orbi does is switch from 5GHz to 2.4GHz when the wifi signal gets weak. Not sure why the wifi connectivity on this particular device (Gogogate 2) is having issues as I have several other IOT devices (lights, switches and Nest) that connect fine through the 2.4GHz network. Clearly it is confused by the single SSID for some reason.

There's a good chance the SSID separation is only required during setup.  So:

1.Separate the networks.

2. Connect your problem device.

3. Revert back to a single SSID.

Message 6 of 8
budy
Luminary

Besides… what kind of IoT device should that be? If a device only connects to 2.4GHz, that should be just fine. I do have a couple of really cheap IoT devices and none of those had issues connecting to the Orbis's 2.4GHz network. The only thing I can think of, would be the Orbi trying to move the device to the 5GHz band, but to do that, the device would clearly have shown up on the 5GHz channels and thus be 5GHz capable in some way.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
bobpar1
Aspirant

Gogogate 2 is an automated garage door opener. I can't explain what is happening but I can configure it just fine on the Comcast wifi router but not on Orbi either on the regular ssid or the guest Network. Orbi definitely has some quirks including Samsung Galaxy connectivity which will not hold a connection.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7