Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Traffic Meter stopped working

Jetdrive
Luminary

I'm using Netgear's NTP server. I'll switch and let you know how that works.

Thanks for the tip.

Message 26 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

Changing NTP server didn't work for me. Traffic meter worked for about 5 minutes then stopped working. Checking NTP settings showed Netgear has changed my time zone back to central and also checked the DST option for me. It left my NTP server I added, but changed both the DST and time zone. Thanks Netgear! 

Message 27 of 54
ronealwa
Star

I am using the default NTP server and the DST setting stays off for me...I am on firmware 2.5.1.8

Message 28 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

I think I found the problem, or at least what is turning off DST and changing my time zone. I noticed that when I change those settings in the web interface they change and everything appears OK. If I then use the iPhone Orbi app it briefly shows the traffic meter then goes blank. Checking back in web interface, time zone and DST are again changed. It appears that the iPhone app is changing the setting. Ironically, I don't see anyway to change the time setting from the iPhone Orbi app.

Message 29 of 54
StevenOrbi
Tutor

Also on 2.5.1.8 and have this problem.

No amount of changing the setting sticks.

Its a shame because 2.5.1.8 seems pretty stable compared with earlier versions.  I am on my 2nd Orbi and amazed at how flaky these firmware changes are.  I'm still convinced a firmware update killed my 1st Orbi.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 30 of 54
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I have the Android App and Traffic Meter continues to work with DST disabled from the Web UI.  I do not have iOS to duplicate the @Jetdrive's iPhone app Traffic Meter.  @Jetdrive, can you login to the Web UI and go to the Traffic Meter page and see values. then use the iOS app and see if the Web values then change to zero?

Message 31 of 54
StevenOrbi
Tutor

Jetdrive is correct the ios app is resetting the setting.  Can't netgear write software without breaking something.

Also the Last Month data is all I see when it does work and its a very small amount of data.

In earlier tests when I first posted I would see what looked like accurate data for last month.

Message 32 of 54
ronealwa
Star

I can confirm that the Orbi ios app is resetting the DST setting. The minute I access Orbi on my iPhone, it resets the DST setting and screws up the Traffic Meter.

Guess I will just not use the mobile app until a fix is provided 😞

Message 33 of 54
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ronealwa wrote:

I can confirm that the Orbi ios app is resetting the DST setting. The minute I access Orbi on my iPhone, it resets the DST setting and screws up the Traffic Meter.

Guess I will just not use the mobile app until a fix is provided 😞

for what its worth...I've never used the app.

Message 34 of 54
fredgreco
Initiate

I am having the same issue. It would help if Netgear finally got around (two years late!) to fixing this DST problem.

Message 35 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

ATTENTION NETGEAR!

Please fix your IOS app so we can use it again without shutting down the traffic meter.

Could one of the mods ensure that Netgear sees this request?

Message 36 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi App Forum:
Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Thank you. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

ATTENTION NETGEAR!

Please fix your IOS app so we can use it again without shutting down the traffic meter.

Message 37 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

Have a mod or Netgear please check this thread. I don't want to recreate all the posts from this thread that already exist in the thread over there. Doesn't make sense. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orbi App Forum:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orbi App Forum:
Please post about this in the Orbi app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app
Thank you. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

ATTENTION NETGEAR!

Thank you. 

@Jetdrive wrote:

ATTENTION NETGEAR!

Message 38 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

You can send them PMs or file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Message 39 of 54
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can send them PMs or file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

I thought you were a mod 

Message 40 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

I can't use support because my complementary 90 days of support has elapsed.
Message 41 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to PM the mods about. 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

@Jetdrive wrote:
I can't use support because my complementary 90 days of support has elapsed.

Message 42 of 54
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I have an open ticket on this since it was first reported. Then NG closed the ticket thinking it was a duplicate.  I reopened it and it is still at L2 support awaiting escalation to L3.  No ETA.  Based on history, I would not expect a fix any time soon.

Message 43 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

Well I guess Orbi fixed the traffic meter. Lauching the Orbi app in IOS still turns on the DST option but the traffic meter continues to work now. Apparently it was a back end server problem since no firmware was needed to fix this. 

Message 44 of 54
ronealwa
Star

Yaaaaay!  I just confirmed that it is working for me also.

Thanks for the heads up!

Message 45 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps because it is now April? I know of no "back end" server involved in traffic measurement.
Message 46 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

Don't think it has anything to do with April. Mine didn't work on the 5th but started yesterday, April 6th. It's obviously something Netgear controls since my firmware remains 2.5.1.8. There was an Orbi IOS update yesterday and I noticed that launching the IOS app still resets my timezone and DST but now the traffic meter works. The act of turning on DST was killing the traffic meter. Now it doesn't.
Message 47 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

This is fun.  I turned on "Daylight Saving Time" and my Orbi Traffic Meter continues to function.  I am using the default Netgear time server.  (Do not recall if I experimented with any other NTP servers back in March when the issue came up.  I defiinitely disabled DST back in March in order to see Traffic Meter stats.)

I remain skeptical that Netgear did something "on their end".  The Network Time Protocol contains no information about local time zones or Daylight Saving Time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol There is code on the user device which calculates local time from Coordinated Universal Time (often called Greewich Mean Time) :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time 

I think there is a coding error in the Orbi product that messes up Traffic Meter counts when Daylight Saving Time changes and somehow "cures itself" after a number of days elapse.

Message 48 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using stock FW? Just curious. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

This is fun.  I turned on "Daylight Saving Time" and my Orbi Traffic Meter continues to function.  I am using the default Netgear time server.  (Do not recall if I experimented with any other NTP servers back in March when the issue came up.  I defiinitely disabled DST back in March in order to see Traffic Meter stats.)

I remain skeptical that Netgear did something "on their end".  The Network Time Protocol contains no information about local time zones or Daylight Saving Time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol There is code on the user device which calculates local time from Coordinated Universal Time (often called Greewich Mean Time) :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time 

I think there is a coding error in the Orbi product that messes up Traffic Meter counts when Daylight Saving Time changes and somehow "cures itself" after a number of days elapse.

Message 49 of 54
Jetdrive
Luminary

Sorry don't buy it. My traffic meter was broken for weeks and never fixed itself after a few days. In fact I hated it that Netgear would just override my time settings and change them. They are still doing that but at least the traffic meter is working.
Message 50 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7