Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Traffic Meter stopped working

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Traffic Meter stopped working

@Jetdrive wrote:
Sorry don't buy it. My traffic meter was broken for weeks and never fixed itself after a few days. In fact I hated it that Netgear would just override my time settings and change them. They are still doing that but at least the traffic meter is working.

I don't understand the need or interest in traffic metering 

who cares just work.  

Message 51 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you using stock FW? Just curious. 

Yes, this is stock Orbi firmware 2.5.1.8.  I have a separate RBR50 that I sometimes load up with Voxel's firmware.  To be honest, with my load being on the "light side", it is hard to detect any difference between them.  If my load were higher, or if I wanted to run a VPNClient to mask my internet traffic, Voxel's would be superior.  Also, my opportunities for "experimentation" have dimished with the internet connection being so critical to daily life.

Message 52 of 54
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jetdrive wrote:
Sorry don't buy it. My traffic meter was broken for weeks and never fixed itself after a few days. In fact I hated it that Netgear would just override my time settings and change them. They are still doing that but at least the traffic meter is working.

My observation is that back in March when people began commenting about Traffic Meter, I looked at mine and saw "all zeros".  So, I disabled automatic DST, and the Traffic Meter shows stats.  I made a mental note that it would be interesting to check again in April, and promptly forgot all about it.  When today's comment showed up, I repeated the experiment.  Activate automatic DST, and Traffic Meter has stats.  So, the specific issue I had has indeed "gone away".  Note that I almost never use the Orbi App, and when I do it is the Android app, not the iPhone app.  If opening an Orbi app makes changes to the Orbi setup without my control, I would be seriously unhappy.

I also agree with @Retired_Member that in these days of massive data allowances, Traffic Meter seems anacronistic.  I do recall several forum members who were seriously interested because their Orbi was going over their 1TB monthly allowance and they were frantic about finding out what was causing the excessive usage.  One went so far as to purchase a router to front the Orbi with custom firmware that would keep usage statistics by device!

Message 53 of 54
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was wondering. Ya I agree, Voxels FW would be better. I presume some of this back end packages would help the FW be more stable. 

I haven't noticed much differences between stock and voxels other than the extras on Voxel's that I have been playing with. Nice to have some flexibility. 

If there was a back end issue on the NG side, we have seen a similar issue with Orbi AX back on 3/9. Something broke in the FW updated that NG released. Everyone thought it was the FW, however NG said it wasn't, it was something to do with there Cloud system that for unknown reasons is tied to the FW service. After they fixed it on 3/19, the same FW that users complained about started working. So it's not just only FW that can be a problem. Smiley Frustrated Possible that NG fixed something on there side for this Traffic Meter problem. Maybe someone can give some feedback from those who filed a support ticket.

@CrimpOn wrote:

Yes, this is stock Orbi firmware 2.5.1.8.  I have a separate RBR50 that I sometimes load up with Voxel's firmware.  To be honest, with my load being on the "light side", it is hard to detect any difference between them.  If my load were higher, or if I wanted to run a VPNClient to mask my internet traffic, Voxel's would be superior.  Also, my opportunities for "experimentation" have dimished with the internet connection being so critical to daily life.

Message 54 of 54
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 53 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7