Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Traffic meter and Daylight savings

Maroman
Guide

Orbi Traffic meter and Daylight savings

The traffic meter feature in the Orbi only works if you disable daylight savings time. That works but for some reason daylight savings becomes enabled again then the traffic meter stops working again.

I went through a full factory reset of the router yesterday. Has anyone come up with a solution?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

Interesting observation....  if accurate... have you validated off of another installation or just yours?

@FURRYe38  have you seen this?

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

@Maroman 

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

So when TM stop working, what are you not seeing? 

I have not seen this, however I don't use TM. Something you can confirm @Chuck_M ?

I'll check on this with one of my NG routers I have online currently. 

Message 3 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@Maroman wrote:
The traffic meter feature in the Orbi only works if you disable daylight savings time. That works but for some reason daylight savings becomes enabled again then the traffic meter stops working again.

Oh, my!  I have always had Traffic Meter turned on with "No limit" and check it every couple of months just for entertainment.  Sure enough, when I checked today it was turned off during the firmware update.  Enabled Traffic Meter and after waiting a bit, "Today" remains at zero.  (I can understand the recent firmware update wiping out past records.)

Did  not turn off Daylight Saving Time.

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Someone may want to submit a support ticket about this...

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 5 of 22
Maroman
Guide

I didn’t realize there was a new firmware available. I just updated yesterday so I’ll try it out and see if the issue is resolved.

Thanks.
Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep us posted. If the new FW doesn't resolve, lets contact NG support about it. 

@Maroman wrote:
I didn’t realize there was a new firmware available. I just updated yesterday so I’ll try it out and see if the issue is resolved.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 22
Maroman
Guide

Yeah sounds good. I’m also reading that after the firmware update I should probably do a factory reset in both router and sat.
I’ll do that just to be sure.
Message 8 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Please, this will help ensure the FW got steated well and gets a good clean setup from scratch. 

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 22
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

May we please know the current firmware installed? 

Was this working prior the firmware update? And before the daylight saving time? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 22
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Blanca_O 

My TM also stopped working after firmware .44 for RBK-50 in router mode.

At least in my case, it doesnt have anything to do with DST... I have tested both settings and neither works.

Annotation 2019-03-27 160105.jpgLook at this screen capture under the connection time and then look at the top of since.

Data is not correct (if there at all).  Let me know if you want other testing done.  Glad to help.

With about 100 devices -- many of them on reserved IPs, I am hesitant about performing a factory reset.

Chuck

Message 11 of 22
Sam540
Aspirant

Any word on this, the lack of the traffic meter working is very concerning. 

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 12 of 22
Maroman
Guide

Just tested with latest firmware (V2.3.1.44) on both my router and satellite.  Reset both to factory settings and the same behavior that I had on the older firmware is still happening on the latest update.  If I disable DST the traffic meter works for a little but eventually the NTP page sets the time to DST automatically which therefore breaks the traffic meter.

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

NG seems to be aware of this. Hopefully NG will get this fixed soon or in the next FW roll out. Please be patient. 

Message 14 of 22
neerajv
Tutor

Well, looks like 1+ year is a good enough time to be patient.

Looks like netgear is aware of the issue but has done nothing since last 1 year. Have a look at below post that was created in Mar 2018 for exact same issue.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Traffic-meter-DAYLIGHT-SAVING-TIME-BUG-R7800...

-Neeraj

Message 15 of 22
Maroman
Guide

I had a 2 hour call with tier 2 support investigating on Friday. Hopefully they find something.
Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully they will get it fix on next FW date. Maybe sooner  hopefully. 

Users can revert to v210 if TM is needed. 

@Maroman wrote:
I had a 2 hour call with tier 2 support investigating on Friday. Hopefully they find something.

Message 17 of 22
neerajv
Tutor

So once we go to older version, wouldnt it auto update to newer version?

Why does NG doesnt give any ETA on this. It's an year old issue, do they not care about the customers? They expect customers to perform these workarounds. Who knows what all issues might be there in .210 , so this workaround will just make us dance between one firmware to another.

-Neeraj

Message 18 of 22
neerajv
Tutor

Also, just some additional information. The Daylight saving gets checked back the moment you open an iOS app.

-Neeraj

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

No router mfr posts information on when fixes or new FW is forth coming. You'll just need to be patient and wait for the fix. Keep in touch with NG support and let them know you'd be interested in testing a beta should one become available. 

Good Luck.

@neerajv wrote:

So once we go to older version, wouldnt it auto update to newer version?

Why does NG doesnt give any ETA on this. It's an year old issue, do they not care about the customers? They expect customers to perform these workarounds. Who knows what all issues might be there in .210 , so this workaround will just make us dance between one firmware to another.

-Neeraj

Message 20 of 22
neerajv
Tutor

Well, you do understand that 1 year wait is a decent time, customers are not expecting an exact date as to when the fix would be provided but atleast sometime line.

I went on to the case details and from last 2 days, this is what i have been getting. Seems like NG is focused more towards launching new product and not working too agressively on fixing an year old complaints.

-Neeraj

Message 21 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

The recording part of Traffic Meter is working on my RBR50, firmware 2.3.1.44, although "Connection Time" shows zeroz.  I do not have limits (so far) on Spectrum and I prefer 24/7 Internet access, so I have not enabled any 'limits'.  The numbers appear reasonable, although I have not checked them against Spectrum.

Traffic.JPG

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7