Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi TriBand Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK23) - Orbi AC2200

RhondaK9
Aspirant

Orbi TriBand Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK23) - Orbi AC2200

Does anyone know, is it possible to temporarily disable the 5 ghz networks on this router?    I love the router, and how it works, but I am running into trouble trying to set up some of my smart devices (lights, cameras, plugs, etc.) that will only work on a 2.4 ghz network.  During set up, my iphone grabs onto the 5 ghz network, and the setup fails.  I have read some of the other suggestions, like walking down the road until the 5 ghz network drops off, and then setting up the device from that location, but that's really not a convenient option, and even less convenient for things like smart plugs and smart lightbulbs, that have to be plugged in.  So, it would be great if I could temporarily turn off the non-2.4 ghz networks on this router, run my set up, and then turn it back on.  

Or, if this is not possible, has anyone run into this issue before, and come up with a workable solution?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give!

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi TriBand Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK23) - Orbi AC2200

I believe the RBK23 still has the capabillity to control whether each WiFi frequency broadcasts the SSID.  On the web administration, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (bottom menu item), Advanced Wireless Settings.

• Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" on the 5G WiFi.
  • On the smartphone, forget the Orbi WiFi.
  • When a list of available WiFi networks comes up, select the Orbi WiFi.
    (The smartphone will "see" the 2.4G WiFi network.)
  • Do not be concerned if the Orbi Attached Devices web page (or the Orbi app) claim the phone is still connected at 5G.
    Those displays take several minutes to notice a change.
  • User the smartphone app to connect the IoT device.
  • After the device is connected to WiFi, undo the previous steps:
    Check the "Broadcast SSID"
    Forget the Orbi SSID and then reconnect.

The newer AX models have removed this capability (sigh).

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Message 3 of 6
RhondaK9
Aspirant

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Sorry to sound uninformed, but how do I find "web administration".  Does that require that I connect direct to the router through its IP address?

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@RhondaK9 wrote:

Sorry to sound uninformed, but how do I find "web administration".  Does that require that I connect direct to the router through its IP address?

This is exactly correct.  The User Manual explains the process several times (at the beginning of many different topics). See, for example, pages 22, 25, 57....

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

The typical method is to connect to the Orbi network (wired or WiFi), open a web browser and enter http://orbilogin.net.  If this does not work, use the IP address of the Orbi router, which is often 192.168.1.1.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Orbi-TriBand-Whole-Home-Mesh-WiFi-System-R...

@RhondaK9 wrote:

Does anyone know, is it possible to temporarily disable the 5 ghz networks on this router?    I love the router, and how it works, but I am running into trouble trying to set up some of my smart devices (lights, cameras, plugs, etc.) that will only work on a 2.4 ghz network.  During set up, my iphone grabs onto the 5 ghz network, and the setup fails.  I have read some of the other suggestions, like walking down the road until the 5 ghz network drops off, and then setting up the device from that location, but that's really not a convenient option, and even less convenient for things like smart plugs and smart lightbulbs, that have to be plugged in.  So, it would be great if I could temporarily turn off the non-2.4 ghz networks on this router, run my set up, and then turn it back on.  

Or, if this is not possible, has anyone run into this issue before, and come up with a workable solution?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7