Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi, U-verse TV and BGW210

Jmccann6
Aspirant

Orbi, U-verse TV and BGW210

I have the setup above and am currently running in AP mode.

I am wondering:

Is there an advantage to setting the Orbi as the main router instead of using AP mode?

If there is, what are the step by step instructions for configuring this scenario and what do I have to do to make sure both my wired and wireless U-verse TV receivers continue to work?

Please and thank you.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi, U-verse TV and BGW210

mrnJmccann6 wrote:

I am wondering:

Is there an advantage to setting the Orbi as the main router instead of using AP mode?

If there is, what are the step by step instructions for configuring this scenario and what do I have to do to make sure both my wired and wireless U-verse TV receivers continue to work?

Please and thank you.

Hello.  I have this same setup, and I'll share how mine is arranged.

First about the U-verse hardware.  Leave the boxes as they are.  One is hardwired to the BGW and the wireless is using a WAP device, something like the VAP2500.  Reason being most home routers do not support the IGMP prototcol extensions IPTV uses.  The BGW can handle that traffic well anyway.

To avoid the double NAT condition @FURRYe38 mentioned, the BGW needs to be setup in IP Passthrough mode for the Orbi.  Log into the BGW at 192.168.1.254, go over to the Firewall tab and select IP Passthrough.

Allocation mode = Passthrough

Passthrough mode = DHCPS - Fixed

For MAC address, select the Orbi from the dropdown.  Should say something like RBR50.

Disable the wireless radios on the BGW.  

Set  Internet in the Orbi web GUI to get dynamic IP and same for DNS.  ATT extermal IP doesn't ever change but this is the easiest way to get a proper connection.  The Orbi should now get the external IP from ATT.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Regarding Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Jmccann6 wrote:

I am wondering:

Please and thank you.

Message 2 of 7
gr8sho
Virtuoso

mrnJmccann6 wrote:

I am wondering:

Please and thank you.

Hello.  I have this same setup, and I'll share how mine is arranged.

First about the U-verse hardware.  Leave the boxes as they are.  One is hardwired to the BGW and the wireless is using a WAP device, something like the VAP2500.  Reason being most home routers do not support the IGMP prototcol extensions IPTV uses.  The BGW can handle that traffic well anyway.

To avoid the double NAT condition @FURRYe38 mentioned, the BGW needs to be setup in IP Passthrough mode for the Orbi.  Log into the BGW at 192.168.1.254, go over to the Firewall tab and select IP Passthrough.

Allocation mode = Passthrough

Passthrough mode = DHCPS - Fixed

For MAC address, select the Orbi from the dropdown.  Should say something like RBR50.

Disable the wireless radios on the BGW.  

Set  Internet in the Orbi web GUI to get dynamic IP and same for DNS.  ATT extermal IP doesn't ever change but this is the easiest way to get a proper connection.  The Orbi should now get the external IP from ATT.

Message 3 of 7
Jmccann6
Aspirant

Thank you all. Especially gr8show. I’m up and running.
Message 4 of 7
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Jmccann6 

If I may in kind ask, why did you go this route as opposed to using the WiFi in the BGW210 coupled with some Airties 4920 mesh devices?

Message 5 of 7
Jmccann6
Aspirant

I had the airties.  Slowed everything down.  We are running much faster with the Orbis.

Message 6 of 7
gr8sho
Virtuoso

We're just users here, yeah, and there's only so much instrumentation available, but what we see is as plain as day.  The Airties worked fine for what it was, a mesh extender, but the whole setup I think got overwhelmed with the number of devices it had to keep track of.  And I think boils down to router design.  You might cringe at the amount of personal time and effort I made in a futile attempt to keep a wifi calling call up.  Probably close to the legal definition of insanity.

If anyone has a good link handy for reference about actual emprical tests and how the number of devices on a (presumed) SU-MIMO based router affects connectivity and disconnecting of devices, I'd love to read up on it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7