× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi USB port - possible solution?

riteoh123
Aspirant

Orbi USB port - possible solution?

Hello all,

I've just read the posts about the USB port being no use whatsoever on the Orbi. Wish I'd known before I purchased, but very happy with the range on the Orbi, so all is not lost.

I'm not an expert, so wondered if this would be a solution to connecting the external hard drive to the Orbi via USB. Would a USB to Ethernet adaptor work? In theory I could plug my USB lead from my HD into the adaptor, then into an Ethernet port on the Orbi - and all solved? But before I went out and purchased one, wanted to know if anybody knew if this was a solution.

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi USB port - possible solution?

I don't think that would work at all.  A USB-to-Ethernet adapter (at least the one I have) is designed to provide an Ethernet port to a computer that has a USB host port.  Your USB hard drive is not a computer and it has a USB slave port, not a USB host port, so you cannot plug such an adapter into it.

You could buy a cheap Raspberry Pi and turn it into a simple file server, and use that as your "usb to Ethernet" convertor.

Something like this: https://www.howtogeek.com/139433/how-to-turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-low-power-network-storage-device/

Message 2 of 3

Re: Orbi USB port - possible solution?

it has been mentioned on this community forum that there is a beta fw doing the rounds that has the usb working , it should be seen in future fw pushes so keep an eye out  for the orbi auto updating 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series