Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Upgrade from RBR50 to RBR850 or RBR750

Orbi Upgrade from RBR50 to RBR850 or RBR750

A post to comment, and perhaps generate conversation, on Netgear's lack of technology exchange to upgrade path.  An example that I have is the Orbi RBK530 and that I would consider moving up to the RBK850 or RBK750.  To do so though I would need to buy a completely new package since there is no upgrade path (even the ability to purchase an exchange with credit for the existing hardware).  Additionally, according to the conversation I had with support, the older satellites apparently can't connect as access points (even at their lower performance AC spec) with a wired or wireless backhaul.

Given how much money I spent to buy into the Orbi system, and I am sure there is a lot of margin in it for Netgear, this really feels very raw.

Here is what I would like to send back to Netgear for consideration.  Through this practice/policy, you have simply encouraged me to consider other platforms (to shop around).  If wanting to move to a faster technology I am not saving any money sticking with Netgear, and with the amount of issues one can have with the Orbi system I would potentially be moving to a more stable system from another manufacturer.  

Keeping customers by recognizing the investment they have made is also about building a stronger and more loyal community.  Ask the auto industry.  The manufacturers that I know of offer brand loyalty incentives that include cash discounts and rate reductions.  It has kept me from looking at other manufacturers, and helped me feel like I am appreciated.

In the meantime, I am off to research all the other mesh AX offerings out there.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Upgrade from RBR50 to RBR850 or RBR750

@PeterSchneider wrote:

A post to comment, and perhaps generate conversation, on Netgear's lack of technology exchange to upgrade path.  An example that I have is the Orbi RBK530 and that I would consider moving up to the RBK850 or RBK750.  To do so though I would need to buy a completely new package since there is no upgrade path (even the ability to purchase an exchange with credit for the existing hardware).  Additionally, according to the conversation I had with support, the older satellites apparently can't connect as access points (even at their lower performance AC spec) with a wired or wireless backhaul.

There may have been a semantic issue in the discussion with Netgear support over the existing Orbi satellites.  "Satellite" vs. "Access Point".  An Orbi satellite is not technically what we think of as a WiFi access point.  It will not connect to any brand of router.  It only connects to Orbi systems as what Netgear calls a satellite.  My understanding is that the existing satellites do indeed function with the new AX systems as long as they are connected with ethernet cable.  The reason being that the WiFi radio chips in the older Orbi are not capable of the WiFi6 modulation used by the AX radio chips.  When they do integrate as a satellite, of course they do not support WiFi6 capabilities.

Please share the results of your search.  Do the WiFi6 versions of Asus ZenWiFi, TP-Liink Deco, Velop, eero, Google, etc. integrate with satellites from the previous 802.11ac systems? Do they offer trade-in credit?

(Just personally, I would not use automobile dealers as an example of pro-consumer behavior.)

Message 2 of 10

@CrimpOn, Will let you know how my research goes, if I remember to post back here. The habit is that once someone decides to leave they don't generally look back.  

As for the automobile dealer, might have more to do with the ones I deal with, but the point is that automotive companies appear to think more about customer retention than Netgear does.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to visit the Orbi AX forum for additional information and support. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 10

A good laugh came to my inbox today.  Netgear wanting me to sign up for Prosupport with an Extended Warranty.  They continue to want more money from me, but are still not interested in long term engagement through an upgrade path.

Message 5 of 10
theoak
Luminary

Why? How many AX devices do you have in your home? I bet you a good chunk are still on 2.4. Save your money for a year or two. Let 6E land for a bit. Accumulate a few more AX devices before you spend a $1K on a new mesh system for 2 devices that might actually use it.

Message 6 of 10

At the moment I have 4 devices but plan on adding a laptop with AX by the end of the year.  Then there are all the home automation devices and though they are 2.4 base, it is the number devices along with stability of the connection that counts the most.  

Additionally, I have a 1Gig up and down internet connection that is not being taken full advantage of.  This is both at the router to the ISP and from the laptops that see a lower connection speed than what they are actually capable of.

From my reading, the Eero 6 Pro is looking very attractive.  It may not have the peak speeds of the Orbi in the testing, but the sustained performance appears to be better.  Given that there is no benefit/savings in buying a newer Orbi, I can save a few dollars on replacing with the Eero (I have seen Amazon give deals at times).

Message 7 of 10
theoak
Luminary

You could think of it the other way, okay, you have 1 gig, do you really use 1 gig? Could you opt for the next lower plan and hence your current Orbi would do you just fine. You would save monthly costs along the way. You probably would not even notice any speed difference. Maybe the montly savings in a year or so would pay for a good chunk of your future AX device??? Just some ideas. I don't mean to sound contentious. 

I have the option to go 1 gig internet; however, I pay for 300/30. One, my Orbi won't support 1 gig. Two, the bulk of my devices are 2.4. Three. I have like 1 AX device. I will stick on 300/30 for the next year or so easy.

Message 8 of 10

@theoak, A fair response and thinking, likely good for most.  I personally have the 1G/1G because the deal was better than any of the lesser speeds (crazy I know).  Your needs and situation are different from mine and there is nothing wrong with that.  Further, these needs will change over time.  I used to have a 56k modem but that doesn’t cut it anymore, pretty sure we will find the same with the AC routers as we start streaming more content and relying more and more on cloud connectivity (I suspect that Netgear is counting on it).

The point with this post though is not if the speed is needed.  It is about the fact that after spending astronomical amounts on these devices (I am certain that Netgear is making massive margins) there is no upgrade path offered.  All this does is encourage existing customers to look at other options as their needs change (exactly what I find myself considering).

Message 9 of 10

The end has come.  Originally I was going to wait until my backup Orbi was done, but I didn't even get to that point.  After having the Orbi go completely nuts and start blocking half of my clients even when Access Control was not turned on, I gave in and accepted that Orbi is simply not a reliable platform.  I have gone back to Asus (though I though I would go to Eero) and the concept of AIMesh.  The speed may not be as fast as the Orbi, but then again the speed of Orbi was not reliable so I guess the Asus is faster.  

In my leaving I want to thank Netgear for not offering an upgrade option.  This I am sure people will find a head scratcher given my stance on the lack of interest by Netgear to encourage a real commitment to the brand.  My choise to move on was easier because of this policy of Netgear, and as it turns out there are others having serious issues with the newer Orbi routers.  

Rest In Peace Orbi.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7