Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Voice RBS40V Firmware V2.5.1.2 has typo in "Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml" file... Help!

Route66Scott
Tutor

Orbi Voice RBS40V Firmware V2.5.1.2 has typo in "Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml" file... Help!

After setting up my Orbi system I discovered that the RBS40V satellite is causing my computers and media server to throw up constant errors. 

My Plex server has been repeating this set of errors every 14 seconds:

XML: Entity: line 2:
XML: parser
XML: error :
XML: attributes construct error
XML: <root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0"<%pnpx_root_desc();%>>
XML: ^
Error parsing content.

Error parsing XML: Error parsing file.
SSDP: Error parsing device schema for http://192.168.2.3:80/Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml

I examined the Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml file in my browser, and determined that there is a typo in line 2:

<root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0"<%pnpx_root_desc();%>>

Yep, it's that extra >.

I submitted the bug to Netgear support, but never received a reply. As Netgear doesn't appear terribly proactive on their support or their firmware updates, I looked into dealing with this myself. I assumed I could telnet into the RBS40V, as one can into the RBR50 router, but there does not appear to be any way to enable this on the RBS40V. (I've googled it to death.)

So...

1. Is there any reasonable way to reach someone at Netgear who can make this depressingly simple change to their firmware, and issue an update?

2. Does anyone have a way to telent into the RBS40V satellite? 

(And yes, it's too late for me to simply return this mesh system and replace it with something else...)

>

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 20
cgullett
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Voice RBS40V Firmware V2.5.1.2 has typo in "Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml" file... Hel

I don’t have your model, but I do have a RBW30 with exactly the same problem involving Plex. On the RBW30, RBS50 and RBR50 you change the page on your URL to /debug.htm and there is a checkbox To enable telnet. On the RBW30 the setting is persistent, on my 50s it does not survive a reboot.
Model: RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 2 of 20
Route66Scott
Tutor

Re: Orbi Voice RBS40V Firmware V2.5.1.2 has typo in "Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml" file... Hel

The RBS40V does have a debug.htm page, but it has different settings and switches than the routers. It doesn't have a checkbox to enable telnet.

I've spent far too much time researching this with no luck. It's disappointing that this is all because of a single character typo. 

Message 3 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Route66Scott

Let me check on this. I will get back to you for any updates.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 20
Route66Scott
Tutor

Thank you, Blanca.
Message 5 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Route66Scott

This has been forwarded already to engineers. They requested to capture logs. Please check you inbox for additional information. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 6 of 20
patimages
Aspirant

Same issue on RBS850-RBR850

Message 7 of 20
leoaraucosta
Aspirant

Hi,

Any news about enable telnet? I have Orbi Voice RBS40V Firmware V2.5.1.2 and doesn't have a checkbox to enable telnet.

Thanks!!

Message 8 of 20
Mstrbig
Master

My RBS40V has an Alexa MRM Debug Mode checkbox at the bottom.

Message 9 of 20
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mstrbig wrote:

My RBS40V has an Alexa MRM Debug Mode checkbox at the bottom.

Was that in regard to telnet?  I checked the Alexa MRM Debug, but that does not enable telnet.

Wondering if one of the hacks that enabled telnet on the Nighthawk products would work on the RBS40V

Message 10 of 20
Route66Scott
Tutor

I would be able to fix this issue if there was telnet access. But that doesn't fix a bug that affects every one of these devices. 

I was contacted directly about this issue, and asked for logs. But after downloading the logs from both of my RBS40V units I was never given the info on where to send those logs. 

I assume that Netgear outsources their coding, as there's no reason for this to still be an issue through multiple firmware revisions, when it's been pointed out as an issue. 

Message 11 of 20
Mstrbig
Master

@Route66Scott wrote:

After setting up my Orbi system I discovered that the RBS40V satellite is causing my computers and media server to throw up constant errors. 

I examined the Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml file in my browser, and determined that there is a typo in line 2:

Yep, it's that extra >.

That is not a typo as it is not a double >.

Look closely at <root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0"<%pnpx_root_desc();%>>. In layman's  terms you will see the beginning routine's "<" then the sub-routine's "<". At the end, the first ">" is for the sub-routine and the second ">" is closing the routine..

For the record my PLEX server is running with no issues, and my setup includes an RBS40V.

IMHO the error is caused by something missing: 

Plex server parsing errors are usually caused by corrupted or missing dynamic-link library (DLL) files. Related errors mostly occur when a program mishandles the file during use. The most common problem happens within the Windows registry, where applications look up the location of DLL files they need. And because they are critical files, when a DLL file becomes unavailable, you will see a generated error. 

Message 12 of 20
Route66Scott
Tutor

I’m not running Windows.

Grab a copy of the Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml file and have a look. Or drop it into your favorite code editor.
Message 13 of 20
Mstrbig
Master

@Route66Scott wrote:
I’m not running Windows.

Grab a copy of the Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml file and have a look. Or drop it into your favorite code editor.

I did, and the line you state is wrong, is exactly the same as several Public_UPNP_gatedesc.xml files I looked at.

Again, I'm not seeing the issue with my RBS40v or any other Orbi device. You said you are not running Windows, as I am running the latest Pro with all the latest updates. I have also downloaded the ncessary libraries. So maybe the issue lies with your libraries not being up to date?

Don't know for sure as I don't need it, but this may help with the UPNP issues users are seeing.

Fix the UPnP issue in double NAT environment | Database & Cloud (dbcloudsvc.com)

Message 14 of 20
schumaku
Guru

The problem here is that non-NAT-router satellite MUST NOT have a gateway description - which is most likely incomplete, thus causing the problems...  well known from some Netgear business wireless access points which can be operated in router mode, and the XML isn't adjusted accordingly, making Plex (and other software evaluating the UPnP SSDP stuff) cry.

Message 15 of 20
schumaku
Guru

Correction... the <%pnpx_root_desc();%> junk part has to go ... looks like a variable (duplicated!) not properly set at build time:

Must be:

<root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0">

Message 16 of 20
schumaku
Guru

Can anybody grab the complete XML?

As this is a satellite, it must show up like this (example borrowed from a WAC505) - if they use the gateway template it will be wrong:

<root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0">
<specVersion>
<major>1</major>
<minor>0</minor>
</specVersion>
<device>
<deviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:WLANAccessPointDevice:1</deviceType>
<friendlyName>WAC505-2</friendlyName>
<manufacturer>NETGEAR</manufacturer>
<manufacturerURL>http://www.netgear.com/</manufacturerURL>
<modelDescription>Access Point</modelDescription>
<modelName>AC WiFi Business Access Point WAC505</modelName>
<modelNumber>WAC505_V9.1.0.13</modelNumber>
<modelURL>https://www.netgear.com/business/products/wireless/business-wireless/WAC505.aspx</modelURL>
<serialNumber>XXXXXX</serialNumber>
<cloudStatus>1</cloudStatus>
<UDN>uuid:XXXXX</UDN>
<presentationURL>http://1.2.3.4/</presentationURL>
</device>
</root>
Message 17 of 20
raychen
Aspirant

It should be router to handle UPnP instead of satellite. UPnP will be removed in new firmware.

Message 18 of 20
Mstrbig
Master

@raychen wrote:

It should be router to handle UPnP instead of satellite. UPnP will be removed in new firmware.

The router does handle UPnP instead of the satellite. I doubt UPnP will be removed from future router firmware. 

Message 19 of 20
schumaku
Guru

@raychen wrote:

It should be router to handle UPnP instead of satellite.

Of course the router does the UPnP discovery and UPnP PMP (gateway) handling - as a InternetGatewayDevice profile.

In my opinion UPnP should be retained for the discovery - as a WLANAccessPointDevice profile - as it is on the wireless access points.

@raychen wrote:

UPnP will be removed in new firmware.

Ray, what is your role here?

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7