Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - advanced wireless settings for best wifi

bigdad930
Aspirant

Orbi - advanced wireless settings for best wifi

I just bought a RBR20 3 packs (1 router w/ 2 satellites). My ISP is Spectrum with 400/20 service. So far I am only able to get speed range from 20 (far end) to 300 (close to router) download speed. I live in an old house with 2 stories plus one basement approx 2500 sq ft.  Below is my current advanced settings. Can anyone suggest anything I need to change to get best wifi especially for better TV streaming.

Current firmware: V2.2.1.210

Satellite backhaul status: Good for both (main router on 1st floor, one sat in basement one on 2nd floor)

All connected devices (approx 8 to 12) are connected with orbi router

Wireless setting (2.4)

Enable SSID broadcast: check (if i want better tv streaming should I disable 2.4 so it will use 5)

Enable 20/40 coexistence: check

Enable WMM (wi fi multimedia) settings: check (if i want better tv streaming should I disable this so it will use 5)

CTS/RTS threshold: 2347

Wireless setting (5)

Enable SSID broadcast: check

Enable WMM (wi fi multimedia) settings: check

Enable Diasy Chain Topology: uncheck

Enable Beamforming: uncheck (should I check this for better TV streaming)

Enable MU-MIMO: check

Enable fast roaming: uncheck

UPnP: On 30/4

IPv6: disable

Traffic Meter: disable

Use a Dynamics DNS: uncheck

Message 1 of 4
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi - advanced wireless settings for best wifi

The settings look ok to me. Please note the following:

1. Please try also enabling Beamforming. It will boost WiFi speed, reliability & range.
  2. You can also disable 20/40 coexistence if you want to force the system to always use 40 MHz channels on 2.4 GHz band which enhances speed on this band.
  3. You need to select suitable fronthaul 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. Please do a wifi scan and select the channels that are not or least used by neighbors. Select channels 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4 GHz which are the only non-overlapping channels in this band.
  4. Use LAN cables when possible!
Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@bigdad930 wrote:

I just bought a RBR20 3 packs (1 router w/ 2 satellites). My ISP is Spectrum with 400/20 service. So far I am only able to get speed range from 20 (far end) to 300 (close to router) download speed. I live in an old house with 2 stories plus one basement approx 2500 sq ft.  Below is my current advanced settings. Can anyone suggest anything I need to change to get best wifi especially for better TV streaming.

Current firmware: V2.2.1.210

Satellite backhaul status: Good for both (main router on 1st floor, one sat in basement one on 2nd floor)

All connected devices (approx 8 to 12) are connected with orbi router

Wireless setting (2.4)

Enable SSID broadcast: check (if i want better tv streaming should I disable 2.4 so it will use 5)

Enable 20/40 coexistence: check

Enable WMM (wi fi multimedia) settings: check (if i want better tv streaming should I disable this so it will use 5)

Wireless setting (5)

Enable SSID broadcast: check

Enable WMM (wi fi multimedia) settings: check

Enable Diasy Chain Topology: uncheck

Enable Beamforming: uncheck (should I check this for better TV streaming)

Enable MU-MIMO: check

Enable fast roaming: uncheck

UPnP: On 30/4

IPv6: disable

Traffic Meter: disable

Use a Dynamics DNS: uncheck

Message 3 of 4
bigdad930
Aspirant

My home is 2 floors plus a basement total approx 2600 sq ft.  The router is at around center of first floor and one satellite is at the basement approx 30 ft and the other satellite is 30 ft on the second floor.

Our main entertainment is the Samsung TV at the basement. I have an Amazon TV stick installed in the Samsung TV. I noticed that if put wireless wifi for both TV and Amazon TV stick. The Samsung TV will get 5Mhz and the fireTV will get 2.4Mhz.  So now if I watch Amazon fireTv I will change the Samsung TV to wired connection (kind of a work around) and vice versa. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7