Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and EX8000

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and EX8000

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK-852-New-Firmware-Version-V3-2-16-6-1-4-4/m-p/1965770/hi...

@Turbojr74 wrote:

Thought I would check in with you on what you did (if anything further) on this.  I would hate to think that while NG would make the lower end extenders compatible with a FW and the big daddy of them would not be also in with this.  The newest FW for the EX8000 is 1.0.1.224 and curious if this might be...or it was just security updates.

Costco had the Orbi RBK753S for sale $420 and thought if the EX8000 would incorporate with this system I would be inclinded.

When you had the EX8000 as an AP working, did it still utilize the same overall SSID e.g. One Wifi Name (it is no good if the extender has to be on a seperate network like most extenders as the units linked to the particular AP have to switch...and most don't unless it drops from its current.  Why I never liked extenders...plus backhaul always sucked) .

Thank you for all the info you provided in the tread.  You were the only one I found had good info on the subject of the EX8000 being incorporated.

Message 26 of 31
Jazzper
Aspirant

@Turbojr74 

After numerous tries with their senior tech support staff, they basically said it would not work. 

I threw the Orbi in the trash where it and their support belongs.

Message 27 of 31
Turbojr74
Tutor

I see that you are stating it works with a picture in the link you provided, however neither are the EX8000.  Not that it shouldn't be worlds different either.

I think the key here is sharing the settings you used to obtain proper connection?  E.g. Enable One Wifi name / Enable Smart Connect / Sync configure 

Now I believe the OP stated he didn't want to use it in AP mode and have the backhaul wired (which could work for me) as it defeats the purpose of having that "mesh" ability.  So I pursued this first.

I had gone out and purchased the OrbiRBK753 from Costco and set everything up and then began playing with the EX8000.  I tried a few things and it initially appeared that I can't use it via extender either.  The main Orbi router (which I will use as an AP instead - we'll call it 'Main') is in the middle of the second floor (where my original R7800 was).  Second floor is all hardwired, it's my first floor that unfortunately is not wired which is why I wanted to use this mesh and gain more coverage (which is where the EX8000 was originally). inside and just outside.

Here is what had to be done to get this to work as just adjustmenting the EX8000 from it's current state didn't want to work in the least (even though it had a great reported signal from the Orbi Main - pic1 shows 100% 2.4Ghz and 94% 5Ghz).  For whatever reason I would get "the extender was not able to connect to your existing network". 

1) fully factory reset the EX8000 by doing the reset via the paperclip to the back for 60 seconds (60 seconds seems mad, however this is one of those that was recommended by NetGear techs and could be attributed to it working??)

2) use the Nighthawk app (which I think is dodgy as hell) to set up everything 

3) after that it still took a little time for it to fully connect, but have patience in the end it did (I will show a pic on the next post)

The EX8000 is in an outside bedroom 30'-ish away (going through walls, bathroom, and hallway from the Orbi Main)

My EX8000 is running FW v1.0.1.224

Now the big question is - is it effective just like the other Orbi satellites?  I can't tell honestly with the limited testing I've done.  More testing would need to be completed and I'm trying to think what would be best to do that in order.  The EX8000 did ok when I had it connected to my R7800 (again as AP) and did fantastic when I found the right combo of channels to run.  However that took a ton of time to finally get the right combo.    

I am actually going to also try and test using the EX8000 in that corner room as a 'switch' to two computers and have it as another AP with a hard wire backhaul.  This might prove to be the most useful for me?  And if I do that it looks like the EX8000 provides both 5Ghz antennas and the 2.4Ghz (which I might consider turning off).  All this running on the same SSID...

In the end I will be testing just the Orbi to see if this is more stable and gets better coverage than the R7800/EX8000 because moving to anything else like Ubiquiti can nearly double the cost, but they know how to do mesh and agrigation.

Hope this helps someone in the future looking to do the same.

Message 28 of 31
Turbojr74
Tutor

@Jazzper 

Sorry to hear that Mate.  It is a tough one to deal with their tech support at times but if you ever try again, maybe what I listed here will work for ya.

Looking at the web interface after all was connected, the wireless portion under general, "Enable One Wifi name and Enable Smart connect" were set to Yes and "syn config from NG router" was No

Here is that second screen shot of it working.

@Jazzper wrote:

@Turbojr74 

After numerous tries with their senior tech support staff, they basically said it would not work. 

I threw the Orbi in the trash where it and their support belongs.

Message 29 of 31
Betoman
Aspirant

I have a EX8000 extender because I decide to upgrade to and Orbi Wifi 6 system. I sold everything else except the extender so I decided to do some research just to see if it can connect to the Orbi system. After researching I decided to do a test. Just now I was able to sync the satellite with the EX8000 and it works as expected. The only issue is that I see the satellite and the extender it came with but the EX8000 comes up as an extra device. My only question is would that affect the Orbi router? Also, it appears that the EX8000 only functions at 2.4 GHz, I'm assuming because that's the only option appearing when going through the Orbi app.

Message 30 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Doesn't effect the RBR. Just works as a extender only. Check the EX web page for status and connection.

Thank you.

@Betoman wrote:

I have a EX8000 extender because I decide to upgrade to and Orbi Wifi 6 system. I sold everything else except the extender so I decided to do some research just to see if it can connect to the Orbi system. After researching I decided to do a test. Just now I was able to sync the satellite with the EX8000 and it works as expected. The only issue is that I see the satellite and the extender it came with but the EX8000 comes up as an extra device. My only question is would that affect the Orbi router? Also, it appears that the EX8000 only functions at 2.4 GHz, I'm assuming because that's the only option appearing when going through the Orbi app.

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7