Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and Xfinity DHCP configuration issues

ewdavies
Follower

Orbi and Xfinity DHCP configuration issues

Help! I need the wisdom of this august group of experts. Here’s my problem:

• I am trying to deploy an Orbi WiFi System (RBK53 – one RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites) in my house
  • I am an Xfinity customer and use their provided ARRIS TG1682G residential gateway for connectivity to the Internet
  • I have gotten things to the point where the Orbi system seems to be working as it should (i.e., everything that connects to my LAN via WiFi is connecting the nearest Orbi and has Internet connectivity)
  • However, everything that connects to my LAN via physical Ethernet cable (e.g., Synology NAS, Samsung TVs, a few Macs), cannot be seen or connected to via devices that are on the WiFi network
  • I think I know why this is: my Orbi router seems to be acting as a DHCP server and is doling out 192.68.1.x addresses to devices that connect to the Orbi WiFi network, whereas I believe the ARRIS gateway is also serving as a DHCP server, doling out 10.0.0.x addresses
  • I assume what I want is a single DHCP server and everything -- regardless of whether the connection is via WiFi or physical Ethernet connection -- to be on either the 192.68.1.x network or the 10.0.0.x network, correct?
  • What I don’t know is how best to accomplish this. Should I be putting the ARRIS into bridge mode? Should I be putting the Orbi into AP mode? Should I be leaving both as DHCP servers and simply change the range of addresses each hands out so they essentially split a pool of addresses on the same network? I’m really at a loss, especially since I think the Orbi router gets its IP address from the ARRIS box (at least as currently configured) and unchecking the “Use Router as DHCP Server” box on the Orbi router did not seem to cause the devices connecting to WiFi to get IP addresses from the ARRIS box.

Can someone smarter than me give me a nudge in the right direction? I’d really appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and Xfinity DHCP configuration issues

Yes, to make things less complicated, please configured the ISP modem for bridge mode as already has a built in router:

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7