Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi and managing wired connections

danesbury
Aspirant

Orbi and managing wired connections

Hi

I have an Orbi RBK23 with two ports, one is connected to an umanaged Netgear 12 port switch and one goes to the sky hub router. There are two Orbi satellites.

Should I be able to plug into the switch directly from the Orbi and then from the switch to the skyhub to get the internet connection? I've not enabled AP mode on the Orbi but I have switched off the wireless on the Sky Hub and it seems to work fine.

Second question, I have two incoming ethernet wires from Powerline sockets for gaming consoles, these go into the switch and then into the skyhub router. However, I cannot manage them in the ORBI app (switch the connection off) like I can with the wireless devices because I guess the ethernet cables are not physically connected to the ethernet ports of the Orbi so cannot be managed by Circle or the Orbi app? What can I do in this situation?

I guess I could disconnect the powerline ethernet cables and just run an ethernet cable from the gaming console to the Orbi satellite, this won't be as fast but will allow management? However, I cannot plug the Powerline ethernet cables into the satellites as they are in different rooms,.

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi and managing wired connections

The configuration should be like this:

ISP Modem (router mode wifi disabled)>Orbi Router><12port LAN switch<>Satellites and game consoles connected to the switch. 

To get management of any satellite or devices behind the Orbi router, you'll need to connect everything behind the Orbi router or the switch thats behind the Orbi router in AP mode. 

From what others day PLs can be used, however make sure they are behind the Orbi router. Possible that some PLs may not allow for full app access either. You'll have to play with this. 

Message 2 of 15
danesbury
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.

Attached is the configuration. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you mention 'behind' when it's a hub and spoke model?

Message 3 of 15
danesbury
Aspirant

So, I put the ORBI into AP mode.

As you can see in the attached screen shot it is now picking up the wired connections. However I cannot switch them on and off, the slider buttons don't work, nor do they work for all the wireless devices wheras I was able to switch off the wireless networks prior to going to AP mode. 

Secondly, I use Circle and now Circle cannot find the previous saved profiles as it cannot work in AP mode only in Router mode.

Should I go back to Router mode and somehow there is another way for the ORBI to recognise and manage the wired connections?

Message 4 of 15

@danesbury wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you mention 'behind' when it's a hub and spoke model?

It means that if the Orbi is in router mode you should plug the Hive Hub into the Netgear Switch, not the Skyhub.

Message 5 of 15

@danesbury wrote:

Should I go back to Router mode and somehow there is another way for the ORBI to recognise and manage the wired connections?

The situation you want is to have a single router on your network. Either the Skyhub or the Orbi.

Turning off the wifi on the Skyhub does disable the router bit. You'll have to work out how to put the Skyhub into modem only (bridge) mode. Ask Sky, or read the manual.

If you put the Orbi into AP mode, you will lose many features, probably including Disney Circle.

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 15
danesbury
Aspirant

I see, I think I have to use my Sky Hub Router for the Sky service seems part of the contract.

If I put the Sky Hub into bridge mode somehow, should I leave ORBI in AP mode as it gives up a lot of features or if the Sky Hub is in bridge mode can I go back to router mode on the ORBI so I can control devices wireless and maybe wired even

Message 7 of 15
danesbury
Aspirant

Looking online seems Sky make it really difficult to use your own kit and bridge modes, I have a SkyQ system too.

I want to go back to Router mode on the Orbi, everything was working OK except I could not control the wired connections with the ORBI app. However, now I can't get back into the ORBI router to change it back, I've followed various instructions here https://kb.netgear.com/27199/How-to-troubleshoot-routerlogin-net-and-routerlogin-com-access-errors but can't get back in and I am loath to reset as it took me a day to set up all the wireless devices in the house.

Message 8 of 15

@danesbury wrote:

If I put the Sky Hub into bridge mode somehow, should I leave ORBI in AP mode ...

No. If the SkyHub is modem only, then the Orbi should be the router.

Not knowing what sort of Internet you have, cable, DSL or something else, it is hard to tell which features the SkyHub delivers. (There are several devices out there with the SkyHub label.)

If it is not possible to put the Sky Hub into modem only mode, you are probably stuffed. The Orbi needs to be in AP mode, which means you lose many of its router features.

Message 9 of 15

@danesbury wrote:

However, now I can't get back into the ORBI router to change it back...

If the Orbi is an AP mode, then you need to find its IP address. You should be able to do that by connecting to its wifi and looking at the IP address for that connection.

Or your Sky HUb will have some sort of way of telling you the devices that are connected to it.

Look for the Orbi, find its IP address, put that into a browser and you should get back control.

But putting the Orbi into router mode leads to the problems you started off with.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ISPs that shove users into a straitjacket that deprives them of the opportunity to choose their own hardware. BT is the same, which is why many experience BT customers never unwrap their HomeHubs and install their own modems. (Mine cost ~£30.)

If it doesn't want to provoke the wrath of the regulators, ISPs cannot force you to use its modem. (Ofcom took another swipe today.) But who knows what else the Sky Hub delivers?

Answered: Using own modem with Fibre - Sky Community

The challenge would be to find a modem that works on Sky.

Message 10 of 15
danesbury
Aspirant

Thanks.

I just want to put it back to Router mode with the Sky Hub as it is with Wifi deactivated. 

I can't get back into ORBI, I found the IP and I'm connected to it via WiFi,

192.168.0.32 is the ORBI and 192.168.0.1 is the Sky Hub Router.

The only problem for me putting ORBI back into Router mode is the loss of control of wired devices.

Message 11 of 15
danesbury
Aspirant

Message 12 of 15
danesbury
Aspirant

Message 13 of 15

Put 192.168.0.32 into your browser. Or try clicking that. It should bring up the web interface for the Orbi.

@danesbury wrote:

The only problem for me putting ORBI back into Router mode is the loss of control of wired devices.

You will have to live with that, or get a different modem.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Regarding Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7