Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi as AP - Extremely poor LAN pings and packet drops

superczar
Apprentice

Orbi as AP - Extremely poor LAN pings and packet drops

So I upgraded (??) to an Orbi RBK 50 earlier this week in the hope i will get seamless coverage on 2 floors - Regretting having brought this device now

I have the device setup in AP mode  with the RBR50 WAN port connected to my router
The device was on firmware 1.12.0.x OOB and it seemed to be running very unstable so I updated it to 2.1.14.10 but that hasn't helped the situation much.

The problems I have are :

1) Internet connectivity varies considerably - If I ping the router from my laptop , the pings I get range from anywhere between 2 ms to 500 with a few dropped packets in between

2) LAN traffic is worse - If I ping a local wired device , I get almost 20-30% packet drops

To rule out backhaul issues as the cause, I verified with the laptop connected to both RBR50 and RBS50 and the situation remains the same..

The backhaul between the router and satellite is good - running satelliteinfo wifi on telnet shows 1000+ as the tx/rx for the backhaul

I understand there are bugs and issues but major packet drops on the LAN are unacceptable - even my test mule - a 1000 INR / USD 15 router does not drop LAN packets..

I am wondering if it is really a software issue or the hardware itself has some problems - I would howevr really want it to work -Any suggestions or thoughts before I return this for good?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
superczar
Apprentice

So as expected, the Orbi updated itself to the latest firware (2.4.10 i think)

Surprisingly, the devices are steady and stable even after the update vs the utterly useless state they were in on the same firmware earlier. It's only been 7-8 hours so i guess i still have to wait and watch but the difference between the earlier state and now is stark!

In the last attempt that worked, what I did differently  was :

1) Downgrade to 2.0.74

2) performed a full 30/30/30 reset

3) Completed the setup via a LAN cable and a broswer (and not the app)

4) Used the LAN port instead of WAN port for the RBR50

Since nothing else has changed in the setup, I can only surmise that the initial out-of-box setup that I did with an android phone and the orbi app ran into some glitches and corrupted the NVRAM or some other setting which the full 30/30/30 reset resolved.

In all previous attempts (and I tried several times), I had tried normal reset (10 seconds reset button press)

Perhaps others who have a flaky connection can also try and see if this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

When testing Pings to the router, are other devices connected while testing? Disable all devices including sats, Just LAN connect 1 pc to the back of the router and check pings.

Any network switches being used after the router? Mfr and model#.

Do a factory reset with the router and set up from scratch, don't enable the speed test app, traffic meter or access control. Ping test here. Besure to disable any security programs and background running apps temporarily while testing.

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Message 2 of 9
superczar
Apprentice

Thanks for the tip..

Looks like I finally managed to solve it after wasting a good 6 hours of my time from midnight to morning 5AM (Don't even ask how I stumbled through work today)

Here is what worked for me after plenty of hit & trial (and lurking through these boards)

1) Connected WAN cable from router to a LAN port on the RBR50 (and not the WAN port) - this means the magenta light stays lit but I can live with it

2) Downgraded firmware to 2.0.0.74

3) a 30/30/30 reset (i.e. press reset for 30seconds while powered up/keep reset pressed for another 30 while unplugging the device/ keep reset pressed for another 30 while powering it back - the power led turns amber and then red at final step before turning green again)

Fingers crossed that it stays that way- at the moment, LAN pings seem to be stable for the last few hours

Got to admit that I have never ever had to spend so much time troubleshooting a networking device - and this is probably my 15th over the last 15 years - barring the exception of my first ever bridging adventure circa 2004

Message 3 of 9
superczar
Apprentice

Actually makes me wonder how this device gets the kind of ratings it has on amazon.com or on all review sites
The reviews on Amazon India aren't particularly positive (where I purchased it from) -yet I took the plunge based on Amazon US reviews...Perhaps the Netgear spin doctors haven't really bothered with Amazon India reviews yet

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

So older FW is not give you ping problems?

I'm wondering if you upgrade back to v.16 using same process, if pings are still bad?

@DarrenM

Message 5 of 9
superczar
Apprentice

I may have actually done that for the sake of science when I was younger 🙂

After having wasted several hours on this at my age, with a family & kid who rely on the network for their lights/hvac and alexa, I honestly have no inclination to do so of my own volition!

Having said that, If the dreaded Orbi auto updater does this on its own, i will certainly report back my findings!

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know.

Good Luck.

Message 7 of 9
superczar
Apprentice

So as expected, the Orbi updated itself to the latest firware (2.4.10 i think)

Surprisingly, the devices are steady and stable even after the update vs the utterly useless state they were in on the same firmware earlier. It's only been 7-8 hours so i guess i still have to wait and watch but the difference between the earlier state and now is stark!

In the last attempt that worked, what I did differently  was :

1) Downgrade to 2.0.74

2) performed a full 30/30/30 reset

3) Completed the setup via a LAN cable and a broswer (and not the app)

4) Used the LAN port instead of WAN port for the RBR50

Since nothing else has changed in the setup, I can only surmise that the initial out-of-box setup that I did with an android phone and the orbi app ran into some glitches and corrupted the NVRAM or some other setting which the full 30/30/30 reset resolved.

In all previous attempts (and I tried several times), I had tried normal reset (10 seconds reset button press)

Perhaps others who have a flaky connection can also try and see if this helps.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

OThers have expressed that doing a factory reset or ERASE then set up from scratch has helped in some of there experiences. Possible something go corrupted and resetting or installing clean FW again did something.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7