Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi as AP with another router

javcarbe1
Aspirant

Orbi as AP with another router

Hi everyone, 

My house was running a router with some repeaters around with not issues, I buildt an extension for rent , and I offer internet to the tenants, I order some ORBI, because i didnt want move the network setups, I connect them as AP, this is the issue I found, from my switch I have to run 2 ethernet wires one to the wan (yellow port) and the other to the any ethernet port... That is correct? some time i lose the connection with the AP...  Is any idea how you can help me...

Also i tried 2 networks in one, one for the ORBI the other to the normal I use at home... works great but if I connect to that i was not able to see my devices by name I have to use the IP addressnal, never lost the signal ?

Any ideas

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi as AP with another router

One Ethernet cable is required from the Orbi base unit (RBRxx) to the network.

Using a separate WiFi name (SSID) for the Orbi network is a good idea.

Please be aware that when the Orbi is in access point (AP) mode, the tenant devices will be assigned IP addresses by the primary router, and thus will be in the same "IP Space" as your network.

It might be worth considering leaving the Orbi unit in router mode so that it will create a separate IP network for the tenants.  You cannot 'see' their devices (privacy for them) and they will have difficulty accessing your devices.

Message 2 of 9
javcarbe1
Aspirant

My question is why I have to use 2 ethernet cables one for wan port the other to the other orbi router port. That maybe is the conflict ? loosing the connectivity..

The orbi ap mode use another name.ssdnew

My router separate each band ssd, ssdna, ssdacn

how is now

modem to router wan, port to switch, from switch 2 cables one to orbi wan the other to another port

i tried this

modem to orbi wan ,orbi to switch, switch to router (nothing)

modem to router wan, router to orbi port, router to switch (nothing)

Before I used this and works fine

Orbi as router 192.168.10.1 dhcp on assigned an IP for the wan 192.168.0.200  SSD-NEW one cable from switch to orbi wan

Router dhcp 192.168.0.100 dhcp on SSD/SSDNA/SSDACN 

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

A diagram of the existing network (simple drawing on paper, than scan or take picture) would be most helpful. Then, show where the new Orbi unit is to be connected. Is this new Orbi a single unit, or a system composed of a router unit and one or more satellites?

When there is an existing network (of any brand), another WiFi router (perhaps an Orbi) can be connected to it to create a new network for the tenant.  Unlike WiFi "extenders" which connect to an existing system over WiFi, WiFi routers (such as Orbi) connect only with an Ethernet cable. This requires one Ethernet cable from the Orbi RBR unit to any part of the existing network that has a path to the internet, such as

• To an open port on the primary router
  • To an open port on one of the existing repeaters
  • To an open port on a network switch that is part of the existing network.

If the Ethernet cable allows the Orbi unit to be placed in the tenant space, then the tenant will have the ability to connect to the Orbi system using both

• An Ethernet cable, or
  • WiFi

If the Ethernet cable does not extend to the tenant space, then the tenant obviously will not have access to an Ethernet port, but can connect to the Orbi over WiFi (provided the Orbi 'covers' the tenant space).

I still see a need for only one Ethernet cable.

Message 4 of 9
javcarbe1
Aspirant

A diagram of the existing network (simple drawing on paper, than scan or take picture) would be most helpful. Then, show where the new Orbi unit is to be connected. Is this new Orbi a single unit, or a system composed of a router unit and one or more satellites? I router and 2 satellites

When there is an existing network  Netgear DDWRT NIghthawk 3200, and tthe switch netgear also  (of any brand), another WiFi router (perhaps an Orbi) can be connected to it to create a new network for the tenant I created the "ssdnew".  Unlike WiFi "extenders" which connect to an existing system over WiFi (cameras, tvs, cellphones, tables, computers, ring, solar reader, alexa speaker, etc), WiFi routers (such as Orbi) connect only with an Ethernet cable ( Orbi router not work if I only connect 1 ethernet cable, need 2 one in the wan port the other to another port from the switch, I tried disconnecting one of each, or using one ethernet cable from the Nighawk router to the orbi router not luck)This requires one Ethernet cable from the Orbi RBR unit to any part of the existing network that has a path to  the internet, such as

• To an open port on the primary router
  • To an open port on one of the existing repeaters
  • To an open port on a network switch that is part of the existing network.

If the Ethernet cable allows the Orbi unit to be placed in the tenant space, then the tenant will have the ability to connect to the Orbi system using both (None of the Satellites are in the tenant space are in my house) 

• An Ethernet cable, or
  • WiFi

If the Ethernet cable does not extend to the tenant space, then the tenant obviously will not have access to an Ethernet port, but can connect to the Orbi over WiFi (provided the Orbi 'covers' the tenant space).

I still see a need for only one Ethernet cable.

Message 5 of 9
javcarbe1
Aspirant

I noticed today the orbi stop working, connecting and nothing !!! ... Im not sure what was the problem

Message 6 of 9
javcarbe1
Aspirant

When I connected with the ORBI this is the IP I got assigned 

subnet 255.255.0.0 

What is the issue? Is any wayt I can connect to the ORBI and get the logs? 

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru
CrimpOn
Guru

@javcarbe1 wrote:

When I connected with the ORBI this is the IP I got assigned 

subnet 255.255.0.0 

What is the issue? Is any wayt I can connect to the ORBI and get the logs? 

Any IP address that starts with 169.254 is called a "Link Local" address . It is because the device did a DHCP request and got no response.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address 

The device is not connected to the network, and thus did not get a DHCP response from the primary router.

(When in AP mode, the Orbi does not perform DHCP. That is left to the primary router.  If this Orbi is in router mode, then it will perform DHCP.)

Either way, the device is not connected to the network.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7