Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi backhaul simply not working, about to ditch it

2bAlive
Aspirant

Orbi backhaul simply not working, about to ditch it

About to trought out this very exspensive system as it simply never works. Got a simple system, one router one satalitle. 

The satelite is 90cm horizontally and 230cm (one floor) above the router. The backhual status turns always turn puple (poor) within a day after setup. I have worked trough all the optimasation stuff and when I start it, the status is green (good) amnd it workd brilirntly, a few hours later it is purple (poor) again. 

Latest firmwhare, all settings optimised for stability and speed.

Any more sugestions?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

the satellite needs to be at least 10m away from the router. From what I'm reading, you're within 2.3m.

You're satellite is to close to the router. 

What is your home made of in the interior of the house? (certain materials block wifi better than others)

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I read this as a distance of about 9.3m.  There is some other factor involved beside distance.Once the satellite has achieved a solid sync with the router and neither device has been moved, the sync should remain the same.  Building materials should not "change" in a matter of hours.  This is an RBS50 satellite.  When it is powered on, does the "Ring Light" eventually glow blue for a minute or so?

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

How is the backhaul status being reported:

• On the Orbi "app"?
  • On the Orbi web interface?

Are there performance problems in addition to the status report?

How about an experiment:

• Temporarily move the satellite to the same room as the router.
  • Plug it in and observe it for the rest of the day.
  • Ring light turns blue and then goes off as it should?
  • Does the backhaul status eventually go bad?
Message 3 of 9
vajim
Master

Does the Orbi system display different colors for the backhaul and the setup connection between router and sat? 

Message 4 of 9
2bAlive
Aspirant

OK, thanks for all the suggestions. 

My flat is a "very normal" construction with a 10cm concrete floor between the router and satellite.

When I set it up, it goes through the correct “lights” cycle and turns blue after a minute, this is corroborated with the “Good” status on web and app interface. It works fine for a number of hours and has acceptable throughput.  The status on the Web and App to then change to “poor”. When the status change to “poor” throughput nearly disappear.

Thanks for the comment that the satellite may be to close and causing interference I have set the “Transmit Power Control” to 25% (50% did not make a difference) and that resulted in the status changing to “Good”. Let’s see if it stays like that.

I will also try to move the satellite further away to see if I can replicate this.

PS, seems to be a very common problem.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@2bAlive wrote:

My flat is a "very normal" construction with a 10cm concrete floor between the router and satellite.

that's very likely to be your problem. Cement tends to be the best blocker of wifi. and floor concrete tends to have more reinforcing metal (rods). 

https://eyenetworks.no/en/wifi-signal-loss-by-material/

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@2bAlive wrote:

When I set it up, it goes through the correct “lights” cycle and turns blue after a minute, this is corroborated with the “Good” status on web and app interface. It works fine for a number of hours and has acceptable throughput.  The status on the Web and App to then change to “poor”. When the status change to “poor” throughput nearly disappear.

Thanks for the comment that the satellite may be to close and causing interference I have set the “Transmit Power Control” to 25% (50% did not make a difference) and that resulted in the status changing to “Good”. Let’s see if it stays like that.

I will also try to move the satellite further away to see if I can replicate this.

So embarassed about my math error. The satellite is almost exactly above the router, correct?

My understanding is that the Transmit Power setting does not apply to the backhaul link between router and satellite, affecting only the power of the User radios.

Concrete does indeed block radio signals more than wood.  My impression is that this effect would be present from the initial connection.  i.e. if the signal is strong enough to rate "good", then it should "stay good".

While having Orbi units too close together is not recommended, I think that has more to do with (a) the user facing radios interfering with each other, and (b) effectively not expanding the total area of coverage.  I would still like to see a brief experiment of having the satellite in the same room as the router and measure how long before the backhaul turns "poor".

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

My understanding is that the Transmit Power setting does not apply to the backhaul link between router and satellite, affecting only the power of the User radios.---that's my understanding as well. 

Concrete does indeed block radio signals more than wood.  My impression is that this effect would be present from the initial connection.  i.e. if the signal is strong enough to rate "good", then it should "stay good".----but if turning down the transmit power reduced interference, maybe thats why it did help the signal strength. Or maybe a different router happened to be broadcasting on the same spectrum and switched after the power reduction. Tough to say exactly. But 10cm concrete is significant for blocking wifi and affecting that backhaul. 

While having Orbi units too close together is not recommended, I think that has more to do with (a) the user facing radios interfering with each other, and (b) effectively not expanding the total area of coverage.  I would still like to see a brief experiment of having the satellite in the same room as the router and measure how long before the backhaul turns "poor".---My understand is it also causes issues with smart roaming  as well. which is why it needs to distance. 

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

I would still like to see a brief experiment of having the satellite in the same room as the router and measure how long before the backhaul turns "poor".---My understand is it also causes issues with smart roaming  as well. which is why it needs to distance. 

Yes, roaming would be very confusing with two Orbi's in the same room.  I remain hung up on the idea of having a "good" connection for hours and then suddenly turning "poor".  I was going off on a crazy tangent regarding the backhaul channel and weather/military radars.

Backhaul channels differ by country, and I have a suspicion that this Orbi in not in North America.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7