× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi bit seeing new firmware updates in the admin interface

bashfulrobot
Tutor

Orbi bit seeing new firmware updates in the admin interface

Hi there, Been having a few oddities with my router - so I keep checking the admin interface to see if there are updates.

The system keeps reporting that there are no updates (see screenshot). States that it is up to date. (V 2.1.2.18)

I then decided on a whim to check out the support site, and there it offers a download for V 2.1.3.4 - which is newer than what my router picks up. (again - see screenshot).

Is there something I am missing here? Why would the admin interface not report that there is a newer firmware? Is there a reason that specific firmware may be limited, held back, or require a manual check?

Is there a reason I should not install the newer version offered for download?

Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi bit seeing new firmware updates in the admin interface

You can Update FW to v2.1.3.4 which is newer, as you can manually download the files and update yourself. Update the satellite first then the router. Factor reset and set up from scratch after the update.

NG has chosen not to add it to the Auto Update server at this time I believe.

Message 2 of 7
bashfulrobot
Tutor

Is it acceptable to export the settings and import after the update? I'm just curious, but why do you need to do the factory reset?
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Due to all the various problems so far and each version of FW has produced various experiences with some users, and due to newer changes and such in this version of FW, Its highly recommneded to update FW and then reset to factory and set up from scratch. Yes, NG normally intends user to update and keep current configurations and they should persist and work well, however for this version of FW. Users are reporting that problems continued after updating however after doing a factory reset, the problems went away.

So it's just for this version that a factory reset and set up from scratch is needed. I believe NG will ensure the future updates will not need a reset and set up from scratch, unless it's needed to troubleshoot.

I recommend after updating and setting up from scratch, save off a new config to file for v2.1.3.4. Then you have a good back up for this version of FW.

Message 4 of 7
tsig
Luminary

@FURRYe38

Mine router and satellite auto updated to the lastest firmware.

Message 5 of 7
bashfulrobot
Tutor

Which version was that?
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe he's now on v2.1.4.10...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors