× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

CJGaither
Aspirant

Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

I have Frontier internet service via a Quantum Gateway router. I attached an Orbi router and two satelittes and the system worked fine for almost a year until last week. I cannot load most websites. I show full wifi bars, I get mail, etc. but cannot get to websites as benign as Geocaching.com. Today I called Frontier, after I disconnected the Orbi router they turned my Gateway router wifi back on and all works fine. So I reattached the Orbi, turned off the wifi on the Gateway and again the websites will not load, I get a sign in window that looks very odd. So I disconnected the Orbi and reattached the Gateway router via cord to my desktop and was able to turn the wifi back on on the Gateway so that I could get some work done. Not sure what to do next......I did turn off the satellittes and I am sitting here staring blankly at the main Orbi. What to do???? Not sure what changed last week that caused this problem.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway


@CJGaither wrote:

So I reattached the Orbi, turned off the wifi on the Gateway and again the websites will not load

 


What is this "Gateway"?

 

If it is also a router, simply turning off the wifi does not disable the router bit.

 

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

 

A lot of people use Orbi routers in AP mode.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

Any updates on this? 


@CJGaither wrote:

I have Frontier internet service via a Quantum Gateway router. I attached an Orbi router and two satelittes and the system worked fine for almost a year until last week. I cannot load most websites. I show full wifi bars, I get mail, etc. but cannot get to websites as benign as Geocaching.com. Today I called Frontier, after I disconnected the Orbi router they turned my Gateway router wifi back on and all works fine. So I reattached the Orbi, turned off the wifi on the Gateway and again the websites will not load, I get a sign in window that looks very odd. So I disconnected the Orbi and reattached the Gateway router via cord to my desktop and was able to turn the wifi back on on the Gateway so that I could get some work done. Not sure what to do next......I did turn off the satellittes and I am sitting here staring blankly at the main Orbi. What to do???? Not sure what changed last week that caused this problem.


 

Message 4 of 13
CJGaither
Aspirant

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

I had my Frontier Quantum Gateway router confgured for bridge mode and the Orbi router as my router for almost a year and all worked well UNTIL we had lots of storms here. I have reset the Frontier Quantum Gateway, made sure it was then set into bridge mode and reattached the Orbi but the Orbi is still blocking most websites from loading. Once I disconnect the Orbi, reset the Frontier Quantum Gateway to router mode, all works fine.

Message 5 of 13
CJGaither
Aspirant

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

It worked for almost a year with just the wifi turned off on the Frontier FIOS Quantum Gateway (just the name Verizon gave their router). I did learn that FIOS does not use modems. The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which is in my garage performs the same function as a modem. So not sure how that affects my setup. The Orbis have all begin unplugged for over a week now and I turned on the wifi for both 2.4 and 5 on the Frontier FIOS Quantum Gateway so that I could have internet for my housesitter while I was gone for a week. I'm not sure if I should try again by turning off the wifi on the Frontier FIOS Quantum Gateway, plugging in the main Orbi only and testing, then add the Orbi satellite. For some reason the Orbi was blocking websites from loading, most secure sites.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

Well depending on what mode you have the ONT in, router or bridged, you'll need to change how the Orbi router works. Its recommended that if you have the ISP ONT in router mode, then use the Orbi in AP mode. You can use the Orbi in router mode, however this needs the ISP modems DMZ/Exposted Host for the IP address the Orbi gets from the ISP ONT. The Wifi on the ONT should be FULLY disabled either way. Orbi in AP mode should be working as traffic pass thru and not be blocking anything in this mode. 


If the ISP ONT is fully bridged, then the Orbi can be configured for router mode. 

 

For WiFi:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).


@CJGaither wrote:

It worked for almost a year with just the wifi turned off on the Frontier FIOS Quantum Gateway (just the name Verizon gave their router). I did learn that FIOS does not use modems. The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which is in my garage performs the same function as a modem. So not sure how that affects my setup. The Orbis have all begin unplugged for over a week now and I turned on the wifi for both 2.4 and 5 on the Frontier FIOS Quantum Gateway so that I could have internet for my housesitter while I was gone for a week. I'm not sure if I should try again by turning off the wifi on the Frontier FIOS Quantum Gateway, plugging in the main Orbi only and testing, then add the Orbi satellite. For some reason the Orbi was blocking websites from loading, most secure sites.


 

Message 7 of 13
CJGaither
Aspirant

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

Thank you for your replies. This is getting way above my knowledge level. I don't know how or if I can change anything on the ONT. There is only a small "Power" light on it. I'm still confused as to why my set up worked fine for 10 months, and now after all the storms in this area the Orbi decided to block only certain (secure) websites, internet to TVs worked fine, smart home stuff worked fine. I wish I could just return the Orbi, getting too complicated. No problem with wifi to Orbi satellite, all was working perfectly until two weeks ago.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

So you thinking the RBR wifi is the problem? 

If you turn off all wifi on the ONT and RBS, and connect thru the RBR, the wifi is bad? 


@CJGaither wrote:

Thank you for your replies. This is getting way above my knowledge level. I don't know how or if I can change anything on the ONT. There is only a small "Power" light on it. I'm still confused as to why my set up worked fine for 10 months, and now after all the storms in this area the Orbi decided to block only certain (secure) websites, internet to TVs worked fine, smart home stuff worked fine. I wish I could just return the Orbi, getting too complicated. No problem with wifi to Orbi satellite, all was working perfectly until two weeks ago.


 

Message 9 of 13
CJGaither
Aspirant

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

The wifi is not the problem. The Orbi blocks some websites (secure) from loading. The TV's worked fine as did the wifi to the smart home units. Once I disconnected the Orbis, turned on the wifi to the Frontier router then all was fine except I dont get good wifi to the upstairs which is why I purchased the Orbi last year. It worked fine for almost a year until two weeks ago. Not sure why it would suddenly begin blocking websites.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

I would configure the Orbi for AP mode again. When in AP mode, there would be nothing on the Orbi that would be blocking anything....

Message 11 of 13
CJGaither
Aspirant

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway

Thanks for the reply. How do you set AP mode on the Orbi? Before I just turned off the wifi to my Frontier router and turned on the Orbi, no setting required and all worked fine, so I'm lost. I really appreciate the help!

Message 12 of 13

Re: Orbi blocking websites, Frontier Quantum Gateway


@CJGaither wrote:

Thanks for the reply. How do you set AP mode on the Orbi?

 


 

There is support for the Orbi WiFi System, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

 

>>>> Orbi RBK50 | WiFi System | NETGEAR Support <<<<

 

The manual says:

 

ADVANCED>AdvancedSetup>Router/APMode

 


@CJGaither wrote:

Before I just turned off the wifi to my Frontier router and turned on the Orbi, no setting required and all worked fine...

 


That's not good enough. The router was still working as a router. You were just lucky that your network sorted itself out. Something has happened since then to confuse it.

 

In AP mode you should be safe. If doing this disables Orbi features that you rely on, then work out how to put your Frontier device into bridge (modem only) mode.

 

 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2526 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series