Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi blocking work VPN for some computers

happyandbob
Aspirant

Orbi blocking work VPN for some computers

Hi, I'm my Orbi appears to be blocking remote networks for some computers but not others.

When I connect to my work VPN via windows integrated VPN client, on older Windows 7 machines, the VPN connects and I can see computers on the remote network (e.g. ping works, RDP works).  However no Windows 10 machine can successfully ping or RDP to the same remote server.

I know the computers themselves can connect and ping/RDP when I am not at home -- I've successfully connected to VPN and the remote server using a mifi hotspot.  So my windows 7 AND windows 10 machines have no problems accessing the remote servers after connecting to the VPN if I'm on an outside network.

When I am home on my Orbi, only the Windows 7 machine can see the computers on the remote VPN network and none of my Windows 10 machines can see the computers on the remote network.

Is there something on the Orbo that could be preventing remote network traffic from reaching my Windows 10 computers?

Thanks!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi blocking work VPN for some computers

Hi happyandbob, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

This should not be an issue. Do you have the latest firmware installed on the Orbi system? Kindly update the firmware to 2.2.1.210. If it is already updated, please reflash the firmware. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000060274/RBR40-RBS40-Firmware-Version-2-2-1-210

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 10
happyandbob
Aspirant

It is on the latest firmware.  I'll try reflashing to see if that fixes the problem.  Thanks!

Message 3 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi happyandbob, 

Please keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 10
ericvdb
Tutor

I am having the same problem, trying to control social media for the kids...on an iphone turns out all they have to do is go to settings and turn on VPN or they get the speedify free vpn app and no traffic gets filtered. There must be a way to do this with at the router level, but toggling the social media category or specific app (snapchat, instagram) as 'not allowed' does not do any filtering.

EDIT: i have the Orbi RBK22, router plus one satellite kit

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@ericvdb wrote:

I am having the same problem, trying to control social media for the kids...on an iphone turns out all they have to do is go to settings and turn on VPN or they get the speedify free vpn app and no traffic gets filtered. There must be a way to do this with at the router level, but toggling the social media category or specific app (snapchat, instagram) as 'not allowed' does not do any filtering.

EDIT: i have the Orbi RBK22, router plus one satellite kit

Do you use Circle or OpenDNS for Parental control? Either way you can also block VPN for the kid's devices, please see below a snapshot from Circle:

IMG_446A6F6907AE-1.jpeg

@happyandbob This can also be your issue with not working VPN for some devices. 🙂

Message 6 of 10
ericvdb
Tutor

I should have mentioned, I use Circle, and I have the 'VPN and Proxy' set to not allowed, still does not work if VPN is switched on from iPhone.

Message 7 of 10
ekhalil
Master

Please have a look here: https://support.meetcircle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001381931-Stopping-Bypass-Attempts

According to this official Circle site, you need visit www.brightcloud.com and check the categorization of the website or IP address, and submit a report if it's improperly categorized. Note that this tool is used by Circle.
Message 8 of 10
ericvdb
Tutor

Thanks for the info.

I did put in a request, but i'm not sure how a category request will effect the circle settings. The app in question is Speedify, when i search on brightcloud then show up in the category 'Computer and Internet Security'. In the circle app, there is no category named anything like that.

Also, they ask for a url, i entered speedify.com, but would have no idea which urls their actual vpn service is using.

Message 9 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@ericvdb wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I did put in a request, but i'm not sure how a category request will effect the circle settings. The app in question is Speedify, when i search on brightcloud then show up in the category 'Computer and Internet Security'. In the circle app, there is no category named anything like that.

Also, they ask for a url, i entered speedify.com, but would have no idea which urls their actual vpn service is using.

Circle is using a dynamic database that is always changing based on such request that you’ve just made and from others. I hope that Circle developers will figure out which urls or services need to add to the database to take care of this shortcoming. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7