Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi blocks certain devices from internet access

Waguih
Aspirant

Orbi blocks certain devices from internet access

My friend’s Orbi RBR50 blocks some devices from Internet access. We have deactivated Armor and turned on Access Control and the Devices list shows all devices as Allowed. When I move the blocked devices to my Orbi whose Armor is active, they can access the Internet with no problem. Other than Access Control and deactivating Armor, what else could be blocking these devices?
Message 1 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi blocks certain devices from internet access

@Waguih wrote:
My friend’s Orbi RBR50 blocks some devices from Internet access. We have deactivated Armor and turned on Access Control and the Devices list shows all devices as Allowed. When I move the blocked devices to my Orbi whose Armor is active, they can access the Internet with no problem. Other than Access Control and deactivating Armor, what else could be blocking these devices?

Is it possible that the device the Orbi is connected to may be causing the blocking? 

Unless you both have the exact same setup, your test may not determine the cause.

Who is his ISP and what equipment did they provide?
What is the current firmware on hisOrbi device?
What device is his Orbi router connected to?
What  type network cable is connected from the ISP device to his Orbi router?

Message 2 of 3
Waguih
Aspirant

Re: Orbi blocks certain devices from internet access

I passed these questions to my friend. Here are his responses. 

1. Is it possible that the device the Orbi is connected to may be causing the blocking? 

Doubtful since they work fine on my network. 

2. Unless you both have the exact same setup, your test may not determine the cause.

I did notice that there is one difference between the two setups: I'm running on firmware version v2.3... while he's running version v2.5... We both need to upgrade to the latest version. 

3. Who is his ISP and what equipment did they provide?

His ISP is Spectrum, and they only provide a modem. 

4. What is the current firmware on hisOrbi device?

V2.5... I'm running v2.3..

5. What device is his Orbi router connected to?

He has 3 or 4 Satellites. All connections are WiFi plus several computers, iPhones and iPads, in addition to the devices in question, which are cable-connected to a satellite. 

6. What type network cable is connected from the ISP device to his Orbi router?

CAT 5 cable.

I hope this helps shedding some light on the problem at hand. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7