Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi can stream and putty but no websites not even router login (RBR20)

Jdkang
Aspirant

Orbi can stream and putty but no websites not even router login (RBR20)

I have an RBR20 with 2 satellites. Working fine for 2 years. Yesterday it keeps getting into this weird state where streaming services like Netflix works and I can putty into servers but any websites don't work. Even routerlogin.net doesn't work. If I unplug it and then plug it in again it works again for a bit but then will go back into that state. Tracert only gets to the modem then times out. Seems like a dns issue but I'm connecting to Googles dns 8.8.8.8, ive also tried the backup 8.8.4.4 and 4.2.2.1.
Message 1 of 10
Jdkang
Aspirant

Re: Orbi can stream and putty but no websites not even router login (RBR20)

Also browser gives me a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG
Message so it has to be dns related but if I remote login to orbi it's up and running fine. Once I connect to the wifi the orbi app won't even connect pt the router.
Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Try and remove the custome DNS addresses from the RBR and let the RBR detect DNS from your ISP...

Message 3 of 10
Jdkang
Aspirant

Firmware is v2.3.5.36

I live in an associated community and fibersphere came in and installed the modems, I took a look but there's no labeling or number on it? Just a U on the front?

I set it to auto detect dns and it still has this issue.

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there sticker on the modem, maybe in back or under the modem with any kind of Mfr and MODEL# information? 

Message 5 of 10
Jdkang
Aspirant

https://imgur.com/Q1me219

https://imgur.com/FsZIdtq

https://imgur.com/QMBvv7F

I took pictures of the front, back and sides. I couldn't load them here for some reason so I loaded to imgur.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Hard to tell. Since the modem only has 1 LAN port out the back for the RBR to connect to and most modem/Router combo units have 4, I'll presume this modem is a modem only. Should be good here. You can check the Advanced Tab and status here under internet on the RBRs web page. The IP address for the Internet should be a ##.##.###.### address, and not a 192. or 172 or a 10 IP address. 

You might want to factory reset the RBR and use a wired PC and walk thru the setup wizard with a web browser, ie11, Firefox or Opera. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds then back ON after you reset the RBR. 

After you complete the setup wizard, check to see if you get internet access and get to web sites. 

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jdkang wrote:
Also browser gives me a DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG
Message so it has to be dns related but if I remote login to orbi it's up and running fine. Once I connect to the wifi the orbi app won't even connect pt the router.

Interesting issue.  This web site offers a series of steps to work with this problem, several of which you have already tried.

https://www.itechgyan.com/dns_probe_finished_bad_config/ 

My focus would be on the computer which is having the problem, rather than on the network. The site recommends clearing browser cache and renewing the DNS address on the computer.

The way we expect things to go is: the computer is set to request an IP address using the DHCP protocol, which also supplies entries for DNS server and backup server.  The Orbi provides its own IP as the DNS server. (It acts as a relay.)  However, the computer itself can be set to ignore that DNS value and use its own.  If (somehow without intending to) the computer's DNS has been changed to ignore the DHCP recommendation, then changing the router to other values will not have any effect.

If "clearing cache and temporary files" doesn't help, I would be interested to know which DNS servers the computer is looking at.  On a Windows computer, open a DOS window and type:

ipconfig /all

The ethernet or WiFi connection being used should show the Orbi as the DNS server.  I often decide to "try out" different DNS servers, go into the Windows Control Panel and change the Network parameters for my ethernet card to ignore the Orbi as DNS and go directly to Cloudflare, Open DNS, or Google DNS.

Message 8 of 10
Jdkang
Aspirant

It isn't the computer, once this happens to the router every laptop/desktop I have and every phone connected behaves the same. 

I did an ipconfig /release and /renew and also flushed the dns, same issue.

In ipconfig the dns is showing as orbi. Interesting, when it happens again I will try to change the computer dns to use something else and see if it starts working.

Message 9 of 10
Jdkang
Aspirant

I tried downgrading the firmware to 2.3.1.58 and it seems to be holding up. I'll continue to watch it but it seems like my setup didn't like the latest firmware.

I thought it might auto update the firmware since it was older but I see a message that there's new firmware I should install, so hoping it doesn't auto update.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7