Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi changed its password

growly
Tutor

Orbi changed its password

A week after our Orbi's web interface turned sluggish, failed to load some pages, and then bricked itself, I am now locked out of the device.

I know the password is the correct one since it's the same one I've repeatedly used, it's written down, it'd worked for the past 18 months and as recently as a few days ago, and I can choose to show my password in plain text when logging in through the app so I know there is no typo. (It also doesn't work through the web interface.)

It doesn't respond to the default password either.

I'm afraid to reboot the device in case it bricks itself again.

Has anyone else run into this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi changed its password

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 secods then let go. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@growly wrote:

A week after our Orbi's web interface turned sluggish, failed to load some pages, and then bricked itself, I am now locked out of the device.

I'm afraid to reboot the device in case it bricks itself again.

How did you get the router "unbricked"?  Other than not allowing access from the Orbi app, does it now working?

Message 3 of 9
growly
Tutor

@FURRYe38, thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my first post, I'm afraid that the router will brick itself if I do something so simple as a factory reset (since it's done this as recently as last week). I don't think that's a solution to my concern, even if it does work. 

I am 100% sure I have the correct password. What I want to know is, why did my Orbi change its own password? That's deeply disconcerting. Why did it corrupt its own firmware last week? Why does the web interface work only intermittently? Are others' devices doing this too?

@CrimpOn, thanks for your reply also. I got it unbricked by TFTPing firmware to it in its broken state (hallelujah). It worked ok for another week after that. Currently the device seems to be working except that it can't be accesssed for administration (by app or by web interface).

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset will not brick or impact anything aside from loosing your user configureation and would be a valid test to do. 

What version of FW are you using currently? Mines on v102 and have not see any problems at the RBR or this "bricking" on it's own. 

v2.7 versions are for users in the US region, v40 is the most current version for all other regional users. 

Message 5 of 9
growly
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

A factory reset will not brick or impact anything aside from loosing your user configureation and would be a valid test to do. 

What version of FW are you using currently? Mines on v102 and have not see any problems at the RBR or this "bricking" on it's own. 

v2.7 versions are for users in the US region, v40 is the most current version for all other regional users. 

A factory reset shouldn't brick anything, but for example all of my problems could be explained by bad nvram in the device, which would cause problems from memory corruption (password failure) to failure when resetting (backup image corrupted). Of course, that would be a disaster, 3 months out of warranty.

I use v102 like yourself. I'm guessing I'm the only one with this problem then 😞

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, avoiding the problem won't help either. Maybe a time bomb ready to go off as well and if a power bump hits it, then anything could happen there as well. You can keep on using it or you may want to take more proactive steps and find another RBR or something else to put in it's place. I would not want to hang my total operation of the RBR on not knowing if the RBR is beginning to fail. If there is any kind of doubt about the RBR, you shoul get it resolved sooner then later. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 9
growly
Tutor

I tried following the reset procedure but after typing in my unit's serial number I get "400 Bad Request". This is exactly what happened before it bricked itself the last time I factory reset:

2021-01-14_12-45.png

Message 8 of 9
growly
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well, avoiding the problem won't help either. Maybe a time bomb ready to go off as well and if a power bump hits it, then anything could happen there as well. You can keep on using it or you may want to take more proactive steps and find another RBR or something else to put in it's place. I would not want to hang my total operation of the RBR on not knowing if the RBR is beginning to fail. If there is any kind of doubt about the RBR, you shoul get it resolved sooner then later. 

Good Luck. 

Thanks, and you're right. If only I could undo my purchase of this expensive garbage (I already had to replace 1 satellite).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7