Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi config in AP/Bridge arrangement

n8xd
Aspirant

Orbi config in AP/Bridge arrangement

Hi,

I picked up a 3 unit Orbi from Costco yesterday, and pluged it all in and it worked perfectly without any configuration.   But I cant seem to get into a configuration mode where I can change the SSID.  I did not plug anything into the "internet" jack,  I pluged my wired network into the switch on the "router" and turned on the other units and used its wifi backbone to connect other wired devices.  Worked great!   But without anything pluged into the "internet" jack, I don't seem to be able to get to a configuration screen of any kind.  Both the AP and the orbilogin.com tells me I'm not connected to the internet, even though when I use the default ORBI SSID, I can browse the internet just fine.    I do not want to use the ORBI for my router firewall...I have one of those, I just want to use it like I am, but I want to change the SSID!  any ideas?  Do I actually need to use the orbi for the "firewall" to initially get into the config?

Thanks!

--Keith

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi config in AP/Bridge arrangement

I operate my Orbi as an access point, too.  You need to have your wired network connected to the Orbi router WAN (Internet) port in order to access the setup screens.  Just set it up and leave the cable in the WAN port.  You can then connect other things to the LAN ports.  You'll see "Good" for the Internet status.

Diagram and instructions here:

http://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

You should also be able to access the Orbi setup screen using the DHCP address it obtains from your existing router.

Message 2 of 3
n8xd
Aspirant

Re: Orbi config in AP/Bridge arrangement

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements