Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi connection

dingzheng
Tutor

Orbi connection

I have rbr50 with one satelites.

I have some strange (or maybe not)  connection issues.

1: when i use my laptop to transfer files within my local network wirelessly, it will only get somewhere 5mb speed, no matter how close i sit to the router or satlites. And if i wired them, i will be able to get at least 70.

2: I connect the satlite wirelessly and wired my computer to it upstairs, the distance between the router and satlite is about 15 ft, but when i transfer file, it will only get 45mb consistantly, i was expecting double of the speed considering it is giga connection.

Is there anything should i adjust in order to improve my local network transfer speed. 

Message 1 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi connection

@dingzheng wrote:

2: I connect the satlite wirelessly and wired my computer to it upstairs, the distance between the router and satlite is about 15 ft, but when i transfer file, it will only get 45mb consistantly, i was expecting double of the speed considering it is giga connection.

There must be something wrong in your radio setup:

- What channels are you using for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands? Please make a wifi scan and select the most suitable channels that are not or least used by your neighbours

- What radio settings do you have under advanced wireless setting here (these settings are working perfect for me):

Namnlöst.png

@dingzheng wrote:

If your Orbi is in the default Router Mode, please make sure that your ISP modem/router is bridged. If you can't bridge it then you have to change Orbi to AP Mode.

What other wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Any wired speakers (e.g. Sonos)?

Message 2 of 8
dingzheng
Tutor

Thanks for  reply. i checked my setting, it seems the buttom three options i did not tick, so i just did it and applied, am going to give a try.

Will report back soon

Message 3 of 8
dingzheng
Tutor

And what about issue 1, I feel annonyed because of the slow transfer speed, though i can always connect my laptop wirely.

Is it possibly because of my laptop or orbi

Message 4 of 8
dingzheng
Tutor

I just tried the computer, it is still the same when i transfer date to my nas, at 43.

Do need to tweet any other settings.

I do not have other device connected to the satlate wiredly.

Message 5 of 8
dingzheng
Tutor

And, what is the speed, really, i should expect from both wirelessly or wiredly, locally.

Message 6 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@dingzheng wrote:

And, what is the speed, really, i should expect from both wirelessly or wiredly, locally.

Ideally you should expect speeds close to the following (for transmissions between devices) in Orbi depending on the radio conditions and the number of spatial streams (antennas) in the devices (look in the red box below as Orbi has only 2 spatial streams and up to 80 MHz wide channels):

80211-Data-rates-and-snr-requriements-Orbi.png

Internet speed is dependent on the your ISP among other things and is usually much less.

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@dingzheng wrote:

And what about issue 1, I feel annonyed because of the slow transfer speed, though i can always connect my laptop wirely.

Is it possibly because of my laptop or orbi

My first part of the reply was for issue 1, so mainly you need to check your radio conditions to see why the wireless devices are not reaching their maximum capacity:

• Please make a wifi scan while your are in the vicinity of the satellite where you see bad wireless performance:
    • See that the satellite is broadcasting 2.4 and 5 GHz band networks.
    • Are there other networks using the same channels as the ones broadcasted by the satellite and note the relative power of those.
  • Based on the result of your scan, please select the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels that are not or least used in your environment. Please set those channels in Orbi as follows:

Namnlöst.png

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7