Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi disconnecting

EJL8888
Follower

Orbi disconnecting

My Orbi disconnects several times per day. This causes everything to stop working in my home (devices, streaming TV, Alexa, etc). I then test the WiFi from the ISP router and it works. I’m spending a ton of time resetting devices and dealing with this problem. I see many other posts (some old) talking about the same issue. This unit is only a few months old, but it either needs to be fixed or it’s got to go.

Anyone have any suggestions? It’s got the latest firmware so let’s not start there.

Thx
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi disconnecting

@EJL8888 wrote:
My Orbi disconnects several times per day. This causes everything to stop working in my home (devices, streaming TV, Alexa, etc). I then test the WiFi from the ISP router and it works. I’m spending a ton of time resetting devices and dealing with this problem. I see many other posts (some old) talking about the same issue. This unit is only a few months old, but it either needs to be fixed or it’s got to go.

Anyone have any suggestions? It’s got the latest firmware so let’s not start there.

Thx

There's 1 key. If you're running wifi on a isp supplied router plus the orbi, you're in a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

I'd start by getting that corrected if it hasn't been already.

What modem is it? 

And yes, firmware is important for both the router and the satellites. If we're taking the time to help, the least you can do is take the time to put what version you're on for the router and the satellites. 

Message 2 of 4
Mikey94025
Hero

@EJL8888 wrote:

Your Orbi shouldn't be disconnecting your wifi on a regular basis.  Is it just the WiFi devices losing connection or does it also affected wired devices connected to your Orbi?

Let's first figure out if it is a settings problem or if your Orbi is actually shuting down every few days.  Go to http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm and check the System Uptime if your Orbi.  Does it reset when your network resets?

Next, let's see if your Orbi's internet connection is getting reset on a regular basis.  Go to http://orbilogin.com/start.htm and the Advanced tab.  In the Internet Port section, press Show Statistics.  For WAN look at the Up Time (it displays as dd:hh:mm:ss, e.g., 02:05:51:18 is 2 days 5 hours 51 min 18 sec).  If Up Time resets on a regular basis then the Orbi's WAN connection to your ISP is getting reset.

If none of the above, then it may be a settings thing.  If your outage is only WiFi then there are Advanced Wireless settings we might change to see if it improves.  If your outage also affected wired devices then we would look elsewhere (first).

Finally, if you haven't already tried you should Factory Reset your Orbi and start again from scratch to see if it improves.  After the reset don't change any factory default settings except for common things like wifi password, channel.  First try it with all the other settings at defaults.  This is painful but it is the best thing to try when facing mysterious issues, in case there's something you changed over the past months that is the culprit.  

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@EJL8888 wrote:

Thx

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7