Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping internet connection, forcing me to Renew Lease on my iPhone

LarryNewYork
Aspirant

Orbi dropping internet connection, forcing me to Renew Lease on my iPhone

I have an Orbi with two satellites. A couple of times a day, the ip adress will go to something like 10.x.x.x and I can't connect to the internet on my iPhone. If I press Renew Lease in Settings, I get a valid ip address and all is good again. I have various other devices on the WiFi and they also run into this problem sometimes where they get a 10.x.x.x ip address and don't work. I usually wind up recycling devices until they connect with a valid ip address.

Any thoughts on why this happens and what I can do about it? 

Thanks, 

Larry 

Message 1 of 4
randomousity
Luminary

Re: Orbi dropping internet connection, forcing me to Renew Lease on my iPhone

Do you have two or more routers on your network? The Orbi, and maybe an old router, or a modem/router combo unit from your ISP? Perhaps both?

My guess is that your Orbi is in router mode, also acting as a DHCP server, but your modem is also acting as a router/DHCP server, and so both the Orbi and modem are passing out IP addresses to devices on your network, with the Orbi handing out 192.168.1.x IPs, and the modem handing out ones in 10.0.0.x. When you release/renew IPs on you devices, they get issued new IPs from the Orbi, and then, at some point (probably when the prior lease from the modem expires), the modem reissues IPs, overriding the Orbi-assigned ones.

If this is the case, then you should put the modem in bridge mode, so it only functions as a modem, with no routing, no DHCP, and no wifi. If you can't do that, or don't want to, then you should put the Orbi in access point (AP) mode, so that only the modem does the routing and DHCP, and the Orbi only provides the wifi. If that doesn't work, then you can enable the DMZ on your modem and put the Orbi in the DMZ.

If this isn't the case (that either the modem or another router are providing routing and DHCP services on your network), then please describe your setup and we can see if we can help you figure it out. But my best guess is that you have two DHCP servers running, assigning IP addresses from different pools.

Message 2 of 4
LarryNewYork
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for this detailed answer. Much appreciated.

Yes, there are two routers providing WiFi. I’m trying to remember how I set it up but it may have had something to do with the Roomba not working on Orbi because of the auto switching between 2.4 and 5Ghz.

Let me do some more research and I will report back.
Message 3 of 4
LarryNewYork
Aspirant

I think it had something to do with this

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-2-4-vs-5-issues-connecting-to-Roomba/td-p/1445647

I just tried and could connect to Marvin, my Roomba, so maybe I can turn off the other device providing WiFi. I will see if Marvin works ok on Orbi.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7