Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi dropping wireless connections

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi dropping wireless connections

Hi,

I'm having problems with wireless clients being disconnected.  It works for awhile and then the client is disconnected, and then it reconnects and disconnects and this goes on for awhile and then seems to work for awhile before it starts happening again.

There isn't much in the log, all I can see is a bunch of DHCP messages assigning an ip address.  For one device I saw 160+ requests over a 3 hour period.

I'm running the latest firmware 2.0.0.74.

Glen

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi dropping wireless connections

Hello kiwiglen

Do you have beamforming and mumimo enabled in the advanced wireless settings?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Darren

Those are all turned off.

I've had the Satellite turned off for the last few days and its been rock solid, I've just turned it back on today to see if that is causing the problem.

I also tried to raise a support ticket for the issue but I couldn't (no error message or anything) it just wouldn't create it.  I think the issue is that I have managed to register the product twice, are you able top delete one of the registations?

Glen

Message 3 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So the Satellite has been going for a few hours now and I'm back to getting dropped devices.  It looks like it always devices attached to the satellite that drop off.

Is the Satellite faulty?

Glen

Message 4 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Kiwiglen

Send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number and I will get support to work with you on these issues.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 11
Taskmastr
Aspirant

I seem to be having the same or very similar trouble. I have the RBK53 from Costco, firmware updated to 2.0.0.74 on the router and two satellites. Different clients will lose internet connection or drop wifi and reconnect. The devices that lose internet connectivity (laptops, echo dots, FireTV Sticks) would get it back when I would hard reboot or turn off the satellite units. Several of our Echo dots will randomly lose connectivity and give you the 'I'm having trouble understanding right now." or out of the blue you hear the dot tell you it's lost the network connection. I disabled the daisy chain option, have tried enabled the beamforming and MU-MIMO with no noticable effect. Finally Sunday night I turned off the two satellite units and haven't had a device stall since and it was a fairly frequent and frustrating situation beforehand. I hope this can get straightened out because otherwise I definitely feel I would need to return the kit.

Message 6 of 11
JohnSibert
Aspirant

Installed Orbi RBK50 with 2 satellites in August 2017 (4 months ago). Generally it solved my wifi coverage problems and the speeds have also improved. Lately, however the system has been randomly dropping wifi connections to android devices (we have 3 in our home) several times per day. Pressing Sync on the router and both satellites restors the connection for a shile. Firmware version V2.0.0.74.

Message 7 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@JohnSibert wrote:

Installed Orbi RBK50 with 2 satellites in August 2017 (4 months ago). Generally it solved my wifi coverage problems and the speeds have also improved. Lately, however the system has been randomly dropping wifi connections to android devices (we have 3 in our home) several times per day. Pressing Sync on the router and both satellites restors the connection for a shile. Firmware version V2.0.0.74.

Common issue.  Been happening since 1.10.x, however Netgear says it's a Samsung problem (it's not, also affects Windows Surface Pro 2017's, Google Home's, Chromecasts and Echo devices at the same moments it affects the Samsung Android devices).

Message 8 of 11
JohnSibert
Aspirant

@TXGunLover wrote:

@JohnSibert wrote:

Common issue.  Been happening since 1.10.x, however Netgear says it's a Samsung problem (it's not, also affects Windows Surface Pro 2017's, Google Home's, Chromecasts and Echo devices at the same moments it affects the Samsung Android devices).

Thanks for the info. The wifi is working fine for HP printer, Panasonic TV, and chromecast. The random android drops occur on 2 LG phones and 1 HTC tablet.

Message 9 of 11
lawlush
Aspirant

Same issue here.  Suddenly as of the last few days several of my devices won’t connect to Orbi while others are connecting. For example, IPad Pro is connecting and laptop is connecting but another iPad suddenly isn’t. I reset all devices including Orbi and the iPad will connect but now the laptop won’t. Have latest firmware. Really awful! Thanks. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 11
OrbiDemigod
Apprentice

I have this exact same issue the past few months, connections dropping like wild fire. First 5 months were great,  no issues ever. 

Can we please getting a FN fix? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7